Best alternative to Photoshop?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Methrend • Aug 29, 2012.

1. Methrend

MethrendNew Member

Threads:
    Hey everyone,

just looking for opinions and your thoughts on what the best alternative to Adobe Photoshop is. I tend to use Paint.NET, but probably only because I'm so used to it now. I've heard GIMP is good too?

What do you like to use instead of the overpriced Adobe software?

2. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    I'm sure there are a few well known tools out there. My sister uses Paint Tool Sai for her professional art work.
    The problem is that Photoshop tends to be very CPU oriented, so a bad processor can't handle it sometimes.
    Yes, Gimp is another alternative that I have tried before. It's similar to an older version of Adobe Photoshop. Not sure if it is worth it, however.

#2Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have had GIMP for years. You can get it for free and the new version has a more user friendly interface. When downloading and installing it be sure to read everything. I found myself unchecking a lot of extra stuff that I didn't want. It is a great program though and I am sure the newer version would be much easier to learn as I have heard it is very similar to Adobe.

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    If what you want is an alternative to Photoshop, you should sharpen the search. This program offers a lot of features and functionality, because it is an advanced graphic design and photo retouching. There are other programs with similar characteristics, but aren't as popular. I don't know what is the utility you want to give to the software, but there are alternatives in the market much simpler and have good benefits. GIMP is a good software and has many interesting features. It´s free, which means a great advantage. It's a program that oesn't consume many resources from your computer and have a more than worthy performance. :D

5. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    It depends what you use Photoshop for. I use Microsoft paint for any photo editing work that I need to do. The layout and interface is simple and easy to use and it comes free with Windows. For designing pamphlets and leaflets i like to use Coreldraw, a really handy and useful program that has all the features and options I need.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Adobe Imageready has a lot of the same features as photoshop, but is free, I think. Also, you could use an online service, as people like me who don't own a computer are forced to. I use pixlr.com. It's very similar to photoshop, except that you don't download it on to your computer.

7. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I use GIMP. It's good enough for whatever I want to do with graphics. I also use Xara Xtreme. It's very similar to CorelDraw. Used to be it was a Windows program. Now it's ported to Linux and it's free.

8. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    Gimp and paint.net are pretty much equal imo.
    Also check out Krita, chocoflop, and cinepaint. All of those are free and open source.

9. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Gimp is pretty good. I have tried them before and I liked them.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I use Photoshop personally. Even if you don't want to pay full price, there are discounted versions and free versions even. They don't have all the features, but it's still better than nothing.

And as for an alternative, Gimp is good. It has most of the same functionality as Photoshop, but without the pricetag.

11. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    If you aren't good at photoshop yet can't afford to buy a copy. You might want to try Gimpshop. Its a combination of the two to which you won't be confuse to the interface of the software.

I actually learned this when I started reading about it.

12. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Can this GIMP do Cutout Lab work like that I usually do with Corel Draw? I mainly do a lot of Photo editing and know very little on how to use Photoshop, though I hear it is one of the best photo editors. So I mostly use Corel's Photo Paint, which does a lot of good jobs for me. Just advise me on this GIMP please!

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My ex runs a meme page on Facebook and he says he likes using Photo Scape a lot. He likes it more than GIMP because it is simple. I don't know if you're an advanced Photoshop user or just someone who wants a simple tool. Just thought I would throw that out there. You can get it on CNET for free!

14. jooomes

jooomesNew Member

Threads:
    The best alternative to photoshop is GIMP. Personally, I love photoshop and with some training it is the best editing program out there. If you do insist on going with another program, GIMP is the way to go.

15. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    Definitely GIMP, as much as I love PS I'd say that GIMP is a great alternative. No need to try anything besides the two of them!

16. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    It's worth noting that Gimp really sucks for re-editing Text layers.

17. BrianDouglas

BrianDouglasNew Member

Threads:
    It does suck for re-editing text, but the text tool is full-featured and fast to use otherwise. Gimp doesn't slow down really bad, and is worth using. If you are on windows, it is good to compliment it with paint.net, as paint.net can really speed up your workflow, you'll see what I mean when you get it. You can use them both, flipped back and forth, and get work done in each that the other would be slow with.

18. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I used Picasa before and it can handle basic editing stuff but if you are thinking of selling your services online or maybe you want to have a pretty sick logo then Photoshop is definitely the way to go. I'm learning Photoshop right now because I've finally decided that if I want to create better logos and designs, then I should try and learn to use the best photo editing software there is.

19. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Corel Draw is agreat alternative for Photoshop. Almost does the same however it is not for free. If you are looking for a free alternative then you should go with GIMP! This is the best free software for picture editing that is closest to Photoshop.

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There is really nothing on the market that compares to Photoshop, but depending on what you are doing you may not need all of the features it has to offer. However, for anyone who is serious into photography, the camera raw tools in it alone are worth it, especially in Photoshop CS6. If you check out some of the tutorials for it on Youtube and on tv.adobe.com you can see what I mean.