Best alternative to Photoshop?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Methrend • Aug 29, 2012.

1. Duskre

DuskreNew Member

Threads:
    Why hasn't anyone recommended Microsoft paint? Paint is not bad if you want some simple editing done and its free too! :D

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone use PaintShop Pro anymore? I have tried Gimp in the past but I never really got the hang of them.

3. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    GIMP is the best photoshop alternative hands down. It's not as good as photoshop though, but it's free.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some great recommendations in this thread. I don't do serious graphic work. I rather pay someone to do that for me. I use pixlr for fairly easy graphic jobs.

I will definitely check out Photo Scape though. It sounds promising.

5. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I use gimp. There are some brilliant tutorials for gimp on youtube if you take a look. I don't use gimp for altering photo's, only to design my own logo's and stuff for articles and webpages. I haven't tried paint.net even though I have it on my computer. I just tried gimp one day and I haven't bothered with anything else so far.

6. ossygobiner

ossygobinerNew Member

Threads:
    Ive used Gimp its very good, it may take a few hours to understand what to do but there are plenty of youtube videos to help..

7. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    GIMP is the sure way to go. If you don't want to pay for a license and / or your work is not professional oriented, then your best bet would be GIMP. Easy to use and it has all the features of Photoshop that most people are looking for when working with image.

8. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I think GIMP is the best alternative. The reason some people think it's not so easy to use is because they want to be able to just sit down and start using it. But, you just can't do that with in-depth software, you have to spend some time going through tutorials. It's the same with Photoshop or any application, especially if actual skill and knowledge are required (e.g. drawing, art, color usage, etc.).

I currently use Photoshop, but I won't be upgrading. When that time comes, I'll be making the move to GIMP.

There's also a plugin (or something) that alters the GIMP interface to be more like Photoshop (menu names, keystrokes, etc.) to help people more used to Photoshop. I don't know how well it works but I'll probably give that a try when I make the switch.

9. Caprio

CaprioMember

Threads:
    I would say that, it depends with what you would like to do with the designer software. I am using photoshop for most of my designs. I have used gimp and it's a nice one though can't get close to photoshop. For someone who would like to do some easy tasks and come out with something professional, you may want to try photoshop express editor which is good for stuffs like logos.

10. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    If you're a real professional photographer, then I think there is no real alternative to Photoshop. It is simply the best photo (not editing) manipulating software available right now. Corel, GIMP, etc are nice software, but don't even come close to Photoshop, in my opinion. :)

11. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it's really all about your skill level, experience, and how well you know your chosen tools. There are Corel and GIMP users that can smoke tons of Photoshop users because of their level of skills, their experience with the subject matter, and they have mastered their chosen tools. A lot of people use Photoshop to just tweak parameters in a plugin, is that really skill?

I think that to a professional, a paint/photo-editing program need not be a very sophisticated tool because most of what they do comes from their knowledge and not from a button. Most professionals that use Photoshop barely use any of the special features often touted. They tend to keep things simple because they've established their workflow long before those features were introduced. They usually can function quite well in any application that meets some baseline qualifications. After that, it's mostly a matter of preference.

One thing about GIMP, though, is the range of color-depth. Last I checked it wasn't on par with Photoshop, but once that is achieved (if it hasn't already been achieved) it will become a very serious alternative for those that work at the very highest level of image quality (which excludes most users, btw).

Another program that I used to use that was the absolute closest thing to Photoshop, and at a price less than $100, was Serif PhotoPlus. I don't know how they managed to not get sued, but it was such a close resemblance to Photoshop, in appearance and workflow, that you could follow most Photoshop tutorials word-for-word and do just fine. I used that software for many years. If you want a very serious alternative to Photoshop, check out Serif PhotoPlus, if their still in business (it's been a while since I looked).

12. Alexandre33

Alexandre33Banned

Threads:
    Mmmmm i don't think so i actually i am using Adobe Photoshop and this is good photo shop software for edit and make the photo of your own style and i am using this software for make my customers photography in studio because this is my passion and my business. .............

#32May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  13. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I am not much of a photo editor because I want shots to be really more natural. But I think Lightroom is also fine. Although most of the time, I just really use iPhoto.

14. riku517

riku517New Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I would rather pay the money for PhotoShop then try to find an alternative. However, before I acquired PS, I used GIMP which seemed to get most (not all) jobs done. For simple things, I did use Microsoft Paint. My advice: definitely get PS.

15. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely Gimp and Paint.NET. There are just some features I couldnt do on Gimp but I can easily do on Paint.NET. The other goes the same way.

But I already have purchased Photoshop and I am more used to it since theres a lot of tutorials out there.

16. mansawalta

mansawaltaMember

Threads:
    I like Adobe fireworks....The thing about fireworks is it is a down to earth version of photoshop. No need to be a geek or lose your mind trying to do one simple thing. Its very user friendly compared to its counterpart. And i usually download torrents when trying to get overpriced software.

17. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    Fireworks is my favorite image editing software. It's easier to learn than photoshop, at least in my opinion. The downside is that the price is quite high. The layout is common sense and I managed to learn how to do animations in about 30 minutes only. I've heard that the current version will be the last though and while they'll continue to update this version for some time, it might not be a good idea to learn Fireworks only to need to change to another line of software in a few years.

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) isn't as good I feel. It's missing some features and just doesn't look as polished, but you get more than what you pay for; which in this case is nothing. GIMP is a free program but it's quite a good program overall and fairly easy to learn how to use. As a bonus, it's compatible with Windows, Linux and Macs.