Best Black and White Movies

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by tulosai • Jan 5, 2015.

1. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    At this time of year, I really love curling up on the couch and watching some black and white movies. It just seems like the right way to pass the winter. What are some of your favorites? I really love some of Audrey Hepburn's early work, like Roman Holiday and Sabrina.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Though it's a black and white movie (not to mention it's also a silent film), it's relatively new and nowhere near the likes of old Hollywood films. I'm sure you've heard of The Artist starring Gerard Depardieu and Bérénice Bejo. It's a great film and it deftly and creatively captured the history of filmmaking and its transition from black and white to colored and from silence to having sounds.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love that Charlie Chaplin movie that starred Robert Downey Jnr. It remains one of my all time favourite movies, plus I love Robert Downey Jnr to death :)

Audrey Hepburn's My Fair Lady and Breakfast at Tiffany's are also on my list of favourites. Hmm that's given me food for thought, I need to get myself copies of those movies. I've always watched my mum and dad's. For some reason, I feel a strong affinity and weird kinship with that era and people!

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    12 Angry Men is my favorite. I love movies that only happen in one place and it's probably one of the best ones out there. Also I like the psychological aspect of it as all the people in the movie can be seen as a representation of the different voices in our head whenever we try and reach a decision on our own. The dialogue is very well written too so it never gets boring even though the movie is just about people in a room talking with each other.

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    There's so many good black and white films, it's quite a long list and a lot of great films were lost long ago, especially during the USA Great Depression Era of 1930s.

I for one do like Charlie Chaplin movies, they're funny, entertaining, but very witty in how his character performs metaphors and allusions. The original King Kong movie is still great to see, being that it was one of the most innovative movie of its time period and the story itself is awesome. Paths of Glory was a interesting WWI movie, because it dealt with honor and defying the commands of a authority figure for the sake of morality and ethics. Rashomon, a film by famous Japanese director Akira Kurosawa, retells a story about a crime told from the memories and perspectives of different people which is a allusion to the fact that humans rarely remember things accurately nor do they express it honestly. Citizen Kane is a good movie too, but I've always felt the plot was lacking in the end.

6. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't seen many black and white movies to be honest. I remember this movie called Nosferatu, it's a black and white silent movie that came out back in 1922 and i thought it's pretty good. I watched the movie because Nosferatu is my favorite vampire and i want to see the very first movie made about him. It's a pretty good for a silent movie. Boring at times but bearable. Lol