Best brand of hot sauce?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by JoanMcWench • Oct 24, 2013.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried hundreds and hundreds of hot sauces in my life. It seems to be something I have a problem with. Each hot sauce, depending on which peppers are used, has a distinct and important use for me. I have a really hard time pinpointing one that is my favourite. Recently, I have found a fabulous Chipotle pepper sauce that is made of mostly the pepper itself as opposed to a vinegar base.

Getting back on point...the question:

What is your favourite brand of hot sauce? Why? Is there a specific pepper in the sauce you prefer over others? Why? Can the brand be more important than the sauce itself?

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I quite like tobasco as it is made with only three ingredients and that's what matters to me when I'm buying sauces. I don't want a bottle full of artificial ingredients and sugar. Tobasco is simple and it tastes good!

3. SophiaLazar

SophiaLazarMember

Threads:
    Huy Fong Sriracha "Red Rooster" Hot Chili Sauce,!!! Tell me you keep this at the front of the condiments holder in the fridge. I grew up with an asian family, and my best friend put this on absolutely everything! I think that I really like it on ramen noodles and eggs, however in winter, (I grew up in Boston) we would make huge pots of Miso Soup with potato chunks, and it is yummie to add liberal dowsing of Red Rooster to that.

I also have to say though that the best hot sauce I've ever had, is actually what New Mexicans call Chili. It is in red or green, and of course, the best stuff is homemade, but you can find recipes for it online. Now, being that I have lived in Texas, when I got to New Mexico, one night I told the roommate we were having chilli, I made a Texas chili cook-off winning formula, with steak, and its my favorite. My Albuquerque native roommate, said nice stew you made, but it is NOT chili!
    Then on Thanksgiving, we went to his Mom's house for "Indian Tacos" soppapillas with beans and various toppings, including, his mother's homemade chili. He also brought home a large Tupperware container of this red version, and it seems to be to be hot sauce, but whatever you call it, it darn good on everything!

4. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I like Louisiana hot sauce and tabasco sauce. I have eaten both of these on some of my favorite foods all my life. I am use to these two and I haven't thought about using anything else. I have tried other sauces, but I come back to this. There are a lot of other good hot sauces out there, but these two are my absolute favorites.

5. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I too like the Rooster hot sauce Sriracha as well as the Green Tabasco and Tapatio Hot Sauce. For the more traditional brands I do enjoy La Victoria red and green sauce. Guess I realize I have a lot of types in my house for different types of food.

6. gracie

gracieMember

Threads:
    I also second Sriracha though I'd say the traditional Thai Sriracha is sweeter and thinner compare to the one sold in United States.I have different kinds and used them in different occasions. If you like the sweeter type of hot sauce ,you should look into Sambal ABC abc_sambal_asli.

It's the most popular sambal sauce in the country of Indonesia. I got a taste of it when I was there and they put it in pretty much every thing from pizza to dip in plain homemade braid. It's actually pretty good to dip with your french fires ,put in ramen noodles or even fried rice. I bought it from some website online and when I make my fried rice,I'd use that plus Sriracha.

I love spicy food so when I moved to U.S, the first thing I told my husband would be 'I cannot live without my rice and spicy sauce'.

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Siracha tastes good but I'm sure it is a recipe with added sugar and other ingredients.

Has anyone tried making their own hot sauce? I have done it a few times, it's actually really easy. I soaked dried chillies in vinegar, then gently cooked the chillies in the vinegar with garlic and spices, then blended it up to form a sauce. You can adjust it to your taste.

8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Bolt: I know the idiocy of what I am about to say right now but I never even considered that and this is coming from a person who loves making things from scratch! That is a fantastic idea that I am so doing this weekend. Thanks!

9. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    My favorite hot sauce ever is Tabasco, it's really powerful, just a few drops and it spices up the food! To me the brand doesn't really matter, the flavor (and price) is the most important.

10. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I really like Louisiana hot sauce because it has just enough hot for me without being too hot. I also like the green Tabasco sauce that is made from jalapenos. My husband prefers regular Tabasco and Habanero hot sauce. (He likes things spicier than I do.)

We do make our own hot sauce, but we kind of cheat on how we do it. I love the taste of jalapenos, so I stuff a jar full of them and warm up a bottle of Louisiana to pour over the peppers. Then we fill the rest of the jar up with apple cider vinegar. It gives the Louisiana hot sauce a jalapeno taste and I love it better than anything I've found in the store!

11. RazKnows

RazKnowsNew Member

Threads:
    Taco bell's hot sauce duh! No, I'm kidding I like Cholula hot sauce the best!

12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    If by Taco Bell 'hot sauce' you mean their mild sauce, I have to say that is not the first time I have heard someone cite that. For some reason, everyone seems to really enjoy the mild sauce from Taco Bell regardless of the fact that they have about five other sauces now.

13. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    In Jamaica, the hot pepper sauce which I prefer to use is a brand called "Grace Hot Pepper Sauce." It's made with the Jamaican scotch bonnet pepper, which is the second hottest pepper in the world, with the habanero pepper being the first. It not only has scotch bonnet peppers in it, but it has some other spices in it, too. It does have a vinegar base, but that does not take away from the quality of the product, and the sauce is very hot, which is what I love. ;) There was another popular Jamaican pepper sauce, which was made by the brand Walkerswood Pickapper Sauce. It was not as hot as the Grace brand, but it was more on the mild side and it had a sweet and tangy flavor to it. The person who came up with the secret recipe for this sauce died with that secret, and did not pass it on, so now it's no longer produced in Jamaica.

14. Pawski

PawskiNew Member

Threads:
    Oh man! Its awesome you bring up Jamaican hot sauce cause my favorite is from there too! Grace: Sweet and Spicy is without a double my favorite sauce. I was in Jamaica about 9 months ago for vacation and LOADED UP on these bad boys to bring home for cooking. 9 months later I think I only have 2 bottles left... so might be going back to Jamaica soon to grab some more :p

15. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I like tabasco. I put it in almost everything I eat. I love spicy food so, we always have a stock of tabasco at home. When I cook something, most of the time I put tabasco in it. Good thing that everyone in the family loves it too.

16. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    There is this other african brand of chili called nali. It is really nice and really gives you what you want. There is also levels in how hot you want your chili and so for me i think that it is really nice and decent. I think that it has this original taste that you cannot really deny.

17. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    This topic reminds me of an ex boyfriend who use to carry his own personal bottle of hot Louisiana tabasco sauce because he put it in everything savory he ate. It became a little annoying when he added it to dishes I felt the sauce would ruin, if it were me and my taste buds. But till this day i still like a little on my Hamburger Helper Stroganoff. My favorite hot sauce is good old Franks Red Hot cayenne pepper sauce. As the bottle claims it has the perfect combination of flavor and heat for me. I've tried several others but I don't recall the brands as none of them ever matched up with Red Hot's perfect balance for my taste buds.

18. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Sriracha is great...it's very versatile & tastes good on such a different range of things :). I went through a huge Asian culinary phase and it was definitely on my list of go-to ingredients ;).

19. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    My favorite is the Rooster sauce made by Sriracha. Amazing taste and I love the texture.
    I really don't care about the brand as long as the sauce is good.

20. UshaBecker

UshaBeckerMember

Threads:
    Sriricha is really a great brand.