Best Browser Extensions

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Gelsemium • Feb 3, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What are your favorite browser extensions? I think everyone agrees that Adblock is a must, but apart from that what do you use and what is it for? Though, doesn't that make the browser slower?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When you use lots of extensions quite obviously, they'll slow down your browser. That's why it's advisable to disable all extensions you aren't using.

My favorite browser extensions are:

Noscript - blocks all unessential scripts. That kills ads and stops anyone [including Google] who'd like to track you.

Faster Fox Lite - speeds up Firefox.

Epub Reader - when I download Epubs . . .

I use only those three.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Privacy Badger, Adblock, Disconnect, TrackMeNot, HTTPS Everywhere and ScriptBlock. Pretty much all of them used to block malicious script and analytics.

That's only partially true. It only blocks the conventional scripts, you can still be tracked even using this by many different methods.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use AdBlock Pro from time to time, but I tend to avoid extensions. Some of them eat away at your device's available memory, and I can't say that I need any other extensions. I know why people use them, and some of them come with some great features. Still, I'll stick to a stock browser more often than not.

5. Denis Hard

Threads:
    Does it mean that there's no way you can stop websites from tracking you? What if you disable cookies and then disable javascript? Would that work better? It's annoying that the privacy of a surfer is flagrantly violated even when you make it clear [to them that] you don't want to be tracked.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even then they can still track you thru HTML5 and other things, if they want. Then there's also browser fingerprinting:

In short, you're kind of screwed.

7. Denis Hard

Threads:
    Too bad.

I've tested my browser on the site you linked to and though I disabled virtually everything that would relay information still it appears like there's still information about me which can be obtained. Since there isn't much one can do about it, I guess someone should just ignore the [advertisers] and block their ads. Deprives them of what they really want.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    So this was a nice idea for a thread, always learning! Noscript will make my computer or navigation faster or is it just a question of anonymity?

These three look interesting...
    TrackMeNot, HTTPS Everywhere and ScriptBlock

What does Adblock Pro does better than the regular one @troutski@troutski?

9. Metalhead

MetalheadNew Member

Threads:
    I assume you use Chrome, so here are some less known extensions.

- When videos get taken down from Youtube, this extension will find a mirror.

- Works as an extension for ProxTube. You can access some sites that are US only, like Pandora.

- Makes disposable email addresses for when you have to sign up for rubbish to get to a download. I would prefer not to give out my individual subtle personal details to shady companies on the web.

- Sends website pages to my Android. Helpful while doing web projects or stacking up pages to peruse on the train (however it tops you off with an irritating warning message and Google declines to repaid it. This won't influence non web designers whatsoever)

- Very simple extension that simply adds a bookmarks button to your location bar. It's irritating to load up a certain bookmark without it.

10. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Noscript is the same as/alternative to ScriptBlock, as Chrome doesn't have a Noscript version. It doesn't really speed up anything, but it blocks a lot of annoying stuff, as tons of things like pop-ups, flash videos, auto-playing ads, etc don't work without Javascript. It also makes your browser safer, shielding it from Javascript based attacks.

11. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    The ones I use most often are
    Qmee - works with Bing and Google to bring up relevant advertisments that pay you.
    Edit This Page - Used when I have to take a screenshot of a payment and I don't want my email or any other personal info getting out.
    Firebug Lite - Web development tool for studying the code of websites.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    OK, so I will have to try Noscript, I am expecting it to make my navigation faster... Another good extension is multifox, that allows us to have several pages open with different logins, for example different gmail accounts, or my FB and the wife's open at the same time.

13. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just found a plugin called uBlock yesterday, and immediately switched to it. It's an AdBlock alternative that uses WAY less resources (

) and can even "emulate" a hosts file, which is awesome. Most people reported that it actually freed up to 500-600MB RAM compared to AdBlock and 5% CPU or so.

14. LAGuy

LAGuyMember

Threads:
    Metalhead - Trashmail is a great idea! I'd never heard of that extension... Thanks for sharing it.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Now you lost me here Aladar, freeing up 500-600MB RAM? Are you serious? When I am on the net I check the RAM usage and it's always around 500-1GB, hardly more than that even with two browsers, so can it really free that much RAM??

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have an extension that makes downloading youtube videos a bit easier. I usually keep an archive of stuff I really like just in case they are ever taken down in the future. I find it very useful as I don't have to go elsewhere or download separate programs just for a simple task. Also I don't keep that many extensions so I'm not too worried about it slowing down my computer.

17. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That obviously depends on how many tabs you have open, what kind of content is in those tabs and if they require loading additional plugins or other stuff.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    OK, sure, just yesterday I had two browsers open (Firefox and Chrome) and each one had 6-7 tabs, so the RAM was almost at 2GB. Either cases it's a great economy for the memory, a good suggestion.

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For Firefox, I would have to say that my most favorite browser extensions would have to be: Adblock. I always forget how annoying ads are, until I use a computer tat does not have it installed on the Firefox browser. The second browser that I love is downloadhelper!! It is a life saver for me

For Chrome, the only extension that I have - so I guess it'd have to be my favorite - is the Hula extension, which allows one to access websites that are blocked in your country.

20. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I recommend Tor for going as undercover as possible. Even if this still doesn't mean you are anywhere near safe. For extensions I use ad block only and some small enhancement ones. I do not rely on many active extensions because it will quickly eat up all my pc memory and hog down my entire system.