Best Browser Extensions

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Gelsemium • Feb 3, 2015.

1. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Adblock is great! Other than that Hola is a great way to unblock access to sites so that you can stream/buy things from other countries, it's just like a VPN without all the hassle.

There are also some antivirus extensions, but I'm not too sure on their efficacy.

2. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    Good idea for a thread!

The two I use are Ad Block Plus, which I disable on sites that I want to give my money to or don't have obtrusive ads. I also use Hola Unblocker, which, long story short, lets you access other countries Netflix libraries. I've heard that Netflix is cracking down on people using it, so I stopped. I was also having trouble using Netflix at all, but you might have better luck!

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used Hola this Thanksgiving when for some reason the MST3K marathon was region locked, unlike 2013..

4. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've tried Tor, but I think that with it we can't access some pages. Another cool extension I use is the hoverzoom, when we pass with the mouse on a picture, the picture is zoomed, nice one. ;)

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really use or install browser extensions except for one which is AdBlock. That's the only plugin/extension I have for my browser.

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I only use 2 extensions for my browser which is Google Chrome, AdBlock and Zenmate. AdBlock is probably you're best friend if you don't want to be bothered with ads or silly popups and if you want your browsing experience to be more 'secured' then install Zenmate.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    What do you mean exactly by that becca, how does Zenmate makes my browsing experience more secure? I've used in the past pocket for Opera, it helps organizing favorites, it's ok.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My fave is Hover Zoom.. or Hoverzoom.. whatever. I don't have to click on pictures to see the larger version, I just hover over it and the picture pops up. It's great for Facebook or Pinterest or anywhere else that uses thumbnails. I don't like leaving the page I'm on, so this takes that step out for me. It's awesome, really like it. I'm not an extension junkie, so that and adblock are all I use.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, I like hoverzoom too, but I actually have it uninstalled from my browsers because I was under the impression it was making them too slow, is that happening with you too?

10. ZenShopper

ZenShopperNew Member

Threads:
    Man oh man have I got tonnes of reccos for this one!
    I'd recommend Chrome ones since I use it extensively.

Pocket: Rather than bookmarking a page, you just click on pocket and it 'pockets' the webpage into an online bank. If that wasn't enough, you can select a bunch of text on a page, right click, and just 'Add to Pocket'. This way you'll have vital information saved on a cloud rather than a Notepad or a word file on your PC.

AdBlock: Sick of youtube ads, popups, websites with half-naked women wooing you? Just get hold of Adblock and your life will be ad free :D

Google dictionary: Since I'm a writer and love to read online, I use this one quite regularly. All I have to do is double-click and highlight a word and a pop-up occurs giving me its definition.

OH OH, few more I'd want to add.

There's Hoverzoom that I presume people have already recommended :)

Apart from that there's Hola. It allows you to change your country of origin while browsing a website. Highly useful for people who want to access Hulu, Netflix, etc. from other countries but can't.

Clipular is another great extension to save an image that you stumble upon. Rather than downloading the whole thing, all you have to do is hit 'alt' twice in rapid succession and Clipular pops up to save any image on the screen.

#30Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Making what too slow? No, I've had no issues with it. Maybe check your hoverzoom options to see if there is anything you can adjust there? The only problem I have with it is it sometimes pops up a picture when I'm trying to click on it and it click blocks me lol. I should maybe adjust the time it takes for it to enlarge the picture, but I like how quick it is otherwise.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I had it installed both on Chrome and Opera and the browsers were really slow, so I started to suspect from my extensions and got rid of them all. Most likely I had some virus too or something.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I used to have more add ons, I had that problem too. When that happened, I'd check out my task manager and found things it was running in the background that shouldn't have been. These are just regular apps from regular people sometimes, you just never know what you're getting and what they're accessing or installing. Even the big guys are shady, so always make sure you check to see what else comes with the extension. They can definitely slow things down.. but these two I have now never gave me issues, so they're all I have left.

14. ScipioPro

ScipioProMember

Threads:
    Adblock - For obvious reasons
    Blur - For disposable email's and credit card information
    Do not track me - So that companies can stop trying to send me advertisements they think relate to me
    Web of trust - To see if a website is trusted or not
    Zenmate - Ip Changer
    Todo - keep my task organized
    https everywhere - keep my web search encrypted

Plus a couple of others. I am always looking for new and more fluid extensions as well.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, I was having that issue because my computer was really slow and old, but ever since I upgraded it looks like an eagle, super fast, it supports everything now. :)

16. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're way too paranoid. :) The extensions have to run from something, that's all there is to it.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not paranoia, it's wanting my computer to run efficiently. And not wanting junk added to it. These are the only two I have left that didn't do that.

18. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I understand that, I'm referring to the "you just never know what you're getting and what they're accessing or installing" part. There really isn't too much to worry about when it comes to browser extensions. :) Otherwise, yeah, extensions can hog up a ton of RAM.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had extensions slip in other things I didn't know I was getting with them and my computer would slow right down. Others would make my computer do things I didn't give them permission to (usually related to ads).. which I eventually learned how to stop, but still.. it's shady. I'm not talking conspiracy or someone hacking into my system and stealing my 5 bucks in paypal lol. I'm not paranoid.. but anyone with access to any aspect of my computer will get at least some level of skeptism from me. Especially when I've already experienced the shade ;)

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    lol, I am with you Josie, I am suspicious too, I don't think it's paranoia, we are being spied! I recommend watching

, an interesting documentary... :)