Best Buy vs. Amazon

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by JJohnston • Sep 5, 2012.

1. JJohnston

JJohnstonNew Member

Threads:
    I was recently informed that most people now a days will go to Best Buy to physically look at whatever it is they want to buy but then subsequently purchase it online. I'm wondering how many people actually do this.

I have never had an issue with Best Buy though I can certainly get a good deal on Amazon. I just hate waiting for the item to arrive. If I need it now I need it now, know what I mean?

So what proportion of people shop at a physical store vs. and online one of the same capacity?

2. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    I don't go to best buy even to check stuff out. While they have a great selection, I feel they are way overpriced. I shop Amazon quite a bit as I live in a rural area with no stores. The nearest big box stores are about two hours away.

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I much rather do it online i have gotten two dell laptops in very good condition from online for the same price of one at a physical store. So i prefer online because it's cheaper no taxes and they are just as good and sometimes i find what i need more online then in store.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever I can, I check stuff out at a physical store before buying online. There's a Best Buy very close to me and I always check out the items I'm interested in before buying online. I also think Best Buy is overpriced. I also like to check out stuff at the local Staples and Office Depot too.

5. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Amazon owns Best Buy. I've heard horror stories of folks going to Best Buy to buy flatscreen computer monitors. Then getting them home and having blur issues. I'd rather order something online and have an issue. Where I can just walk to the post office a few blocks from my house and send it back with a pre-paid label. Instead of have to lug it all the way back downtown or to my local mall's Best Buy.

6. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I go to Best Buy occasionally to try out new products and then I purchase them online. I believe Best Buy prices are a little expensive and I could easily find the same product online at a more affordable price.

7. Robert E.

Robert E.New Member

Threads:
    Best Buy is way overpriced! It's not their fault, though. Of course running an internet store is going to cost quite a bit less than having a physical store. I know I used to think it's worth it to pay the extra money so that you get your item right away. You also get that hands-on experience before you even buy the item. That doesn't mean I can't go to the store and get the first-hand feel for the merchandise before I purchase it for a lower price on Amazon. Awesome idea! It's also genius of Amazon to offer the items in your local Best Buy for a higher price at a more convenient availability.

8. BarryLejieg

BarryLejiegNew Member

Threads:
    Best Buy offers more solutions but also offers higher prices. I never bought anything in Best Buy so I don't know how things go there but in Amazon they go pretty well.
    On your question, if I buy more online or offline, well it depends what I buy. When the products costs a lot, I just think that is better to see the product first and then decide to buy it or not.

9. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I can't afford to pay an extra 20$ for a TV series at Best Buy. I know that waiting for an online product is a pain the butt, especially in our need it now culture. But really waiting makes things better. :) And I also live in a rural area so it is about as easy for me to buy something online than it is for me to find time to drive into the city. Oh and plus gas money! So online really saves me money and time.

10. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    I like both of them. If I happen to be around a Best Buy I'll drop on in as I love to browse electronics. If i'm online and see something on Amazon I would just make the purchase there. I never really think about it at all, just whatever is clever. :D

11. malia22

malia22Member

Threads:
    i get most stuff off of amazon because i seem to always find stuff cheaper there. I'll scan the barcode in my app and it'll pop up on amazon cheaper. if i can find a way to get something cheaper, i will! :)

12. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    That's the good part about physical stores is trying out the product before you buy it. Sometimes on Amazon I'll order something, and it doesn't look anything like the picture. I'm sure this has happened to other people, but I found that to be rather annoying. The Best Buy store is great, but it does waste gas money to drive to the store. I like the convenience of just waiting for the product to arrive. If you need it in a hurry just order the next day shipping.

13. nefsyn

nefsynNew Member

Threads:
    Amazon by a thousand miles. They are cheaper, more reliable and faster. I tend to notice Best Buy's "specials" and "deals" are literally the same price everywhere else. I think they make the customer believe they are actually getting a deal.

14. Vadim

VadimNew Member

Threads:
    I think Amazon wins here just because of their lower prices and ease of browsing. I can happily look up what I want from the comfort of my home and have it arrive for me in a couple of days. If I ever need to get something ASAP, then sure this is where Best Buy shines, but there's other shops also.

15. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    We use both. Sometimes the price difference is to significant to ignore, and I have to go with Amazon. There are times I want the item right now and I'm just going to get it at Best Buy. The thing that turns me off the most about Best Buy is the lines and the extended warranty pitches.

16. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't done that though but probably if the person wants to check it himself to the best buy store and then he don't have a cash on hand so he'd buy it online. It also mean he check out whether the item really is available :D

17. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I like shopping on line. I don't mind the time it takes to get here. Especially when there is no shipping cost. Amazon usually supplies an adequate description of products.

18. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I like the low prices at Amazon also I can sit and wait for the prices to fall everyday. I've seen a phone I wanted and the price dropped $20 in 2 weeks. That's just unheard of at Best Buy usually you have to wait for Black Friday to get those deals. I'm anxious to see how Amazon will compete against Best Buy for the holiday time. Judging by the looks of this thread Amazon is kicking some serious butt. :D

19. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy items through Amazon. We do go often to Best Buy however because that is my husbands favorite store to shop or just sight see. We usually go and compare prices between Amazon, Best Buy, and sometimes eBay.

20. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I usually go to Best Buy and can't wait, so I buy on the spot. I get too impatient. If I knew it was a huge difference, I might wait? But I don't usually check first. I like to have my item right away. I have bought a cable before on Amazon and it was fine, but that's about it for the electronic stuff. I also just like the fact that if something was defective, I have a store to return it to and not have to deal with the mail system. I don't buy a ton of electronics either though.