Best Cheap Router

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Feb 7, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My current router seems like it's giving out so I'm thinking of buying a new one. My old one is now about 3 years old and I suspect that within that time new advancements have been made in router technology so I'm hoping to get some recommendations here on what are the best brands of routers I could get currently for a cheap price. Also it would be great to get some tips on related information as to how I could better my speeds at home, even if it means investing in a slightly more expensive router.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd recommend spending at least $60 on a router. Anything less and you might wind up with something that's less than reliable. Some great brands include Asus, Netgear, and Linksys, although there are plenty of others, too. Look for a router that offers the latest connectivity protocols and at least a few Ethernet ports because you'll never know when you need a hardline.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I got a D-link router 2 years ago and it still works fine. If you're not that into the nitty-gritty when it comes to the firmware (which you can update or install a custom one for more features) then I think D-Link is pretty okay. I agree with Troutski, any router that costs less than $60 is a bit iffy, even this D-Link of mine which cost $80 is still a bit wobbly but it gets the job done.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Go for a mid-range router instead, it'll probably last longer and cost you less in the long run. Linksys and D-Link are two pretty decent brands off the top of my head.