Best Cheap Teeth Whitener?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by hellonamesdana • Feb 4, 2015.

1. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdanaMember

Threads:
    I'm looking for an easy, relatively cheap teeth whitener. I use a whitening toothpaste as well, but it just doesn't seem to be cutting it and I don't really see any progress with my teeth getting any whiter.
    Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide as a toothpaste once in a while? I've heard the inside of orange peels works too. Or salt, but that's pretty abrasive, I personally wouldn't do it. I know I've heard of many different tricks, but this is all I can remember at the moment.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would suggest baking soda too. It works a treat, especially if you are a smoker. Here's some more information about it:

4. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    There is an Arm and Hammer baking soda whitening toothpaste that I use, and I swear it works wonderfully. The claim on the box will be two shades lighter, or something like that. It is the only whitening toothpaste out there that I think really works.

I don't know of any other cheap methods though. I think Crest white strips, even though expensive, are well worth the investment. I use them and have had dentists comment on the whiteness of my teeth. The last filling I got reworked he said he could barely match the color because he didn't carry the whitest shade in his office. So I really swear by the white strips, they are really worth the money.

5. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I've also heard of baking soda and peroxide but sounds a little too scary for me personally. Maybe baking soda alone but not too often.

6. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    My mother in-law has been using baking soda to soak her dentures at night. She also uses it as a toothpaste. She has been encouraging me to try it too.

I did some research about it and thought I'd share it with you here. I am contemplating on trying it for myself.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard a lot about this baking soda being good. I wonder if you'd be ok to mix it with your regular toothpaste.

I use Colgate's Herbal Whitening toothpaste, and it doesn't seem to do a bad job :) Probably not the best out there, but it's decent for the price I guess.

8. Robert G

Robert GNew Member

Threads:
    Flash sale on Brush and Bright today! The World's SIMPLEST Teeth whitening solution. Simply Brush your way to a brighter smile! Regular price is $59.00 but Amazon has it at $9.99 now!

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard of it and some people swear that it works. Activated charcoal can be used to whiten teeth and it's cheaper than most tooth whitening products. Since I've never used it myself, I had to look around to find how one uses it to whiten their teeth.

Activated charcoal's natural adhesive qualities let it bind with surface-staining culprits like coffee, tea, wine, and plaque, and take them off your teeth for good when you spit it out

10. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Baking soda does work for a quick brightener but can't be used too often. It's very drying to your lips. It is safe to rinse with peroxide as well, though not many dentists will tell you so. Mine did, though. Or rather, my hygienist did. She says she's used it all her life .
    Something I use quite a bit, though, is Plus White 5 Minute Whitening Gel. I bought the kit first with the gel and the little rubber tray mouthguard looking thing. If you really want to do a number on your teeth buy that and use it for ten minutes at least once a day for a week. You can use it twice a day for a week, but I found that once was sufficient and your teeth will be much whiter than they are now.
    After a week you can drop down to using it once or twice a week to keep your teeth white.
    The kit costs about ten-twelve dollars. I got mine at walmart but they sell it in Fred's and other places as well. After you buy the kit you can then just buy the gel from then on, which is between six and seven dollars a tube.
    A little goes a long way and you only need to put a very small amount on each side of the little rubber tray. Not uncomfortable, either. It's very easy to deal with for a mere ten minutes and I have been known to leave it in for twice that with no problems. I would not stop at five minutes, though. It's barely started to work at that point.
    All in all, I think it's the cheapest and easiest way to whiten your teeth out there.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy Crest White strips. It is not the cheapest, but it makes teeth whiter. I did like the results. Now the bad thing is, and the reason why I only used it once, is that is makes teeth soooooo sensitive. I had to stop using them for a couple days because I couldn't handle how my teeth hurt. But I managed to finish the strips and liked the overall result.

12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I always use baking soda for teeth whitening. It's really effective. Trust me. ;)

13. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I just started using baking soda on my teeth, so I have yet to tell a difference. I keep hearing that it works, so I figure it’s worth a shot. Just need to be careful about getting it on my lips, since they tend to be dry anyway.

I’ve also heard good things about activated charcoal, but I’ve never tried it. It’s supposed to be effective for other things as well, so I may look into it further.

14. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Bicarbonate of soda is very effective. I'm not sure how good the pharmacy ones are, but Baking soda is superior even to smokers toothpowder. I use it occasionally with very pleasing results.

15. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try the inside of banana peels. I've tried it and it works. It takes a while, but the results are obvious after a few weeks. I've also used baking soda and hydrogen peroxide in the past, with equally good results. The key is to be patient. Next time you eat a banana, don't throw away the peel but use the inside to rub over your teeth.

16. paultrump1

paultrump1Member

Threads:
    Anyone use salt water ?

17. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like Crest Whitening expressions. You can find a dollar coupon off of Crest in your local Sunday paper if you want to get it for less. Baking soda is a great alternative and it is dirt cheap!

18. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read somewhere that there are some fruits which will help whiten your teeth. I don't know if this is true or not but you could try it and find out. Even if it doesn't work, you'll still have consumed something which is good for you anyway.

The fruits: strawberries and apples.

Vegetables like carrots, rumor has it, can also get the job done.

19. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard this too. Apparently, certain crunchy raw vegetables act as a natural gentle abrasive as you're biting through them. Obviously, cooked vegetables would be no good at all but I can certainly understand how tis would work. It's similar to the way chew sticks are said to be good for dog's teeth.

20. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've heard of certain raw fruits and veg working, too. I wonder if it's due to the acidity in it, which could also mean you have to be careful how much you consume because the sugar and acidity could have a negative effect on your teeth. I guess it goes back to the 'everything in moderation' theory.