Best Clothing To Get Warm?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by ExpertAdvice • Feb 4, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    So, I live in a country where the climate is pretty temperate, which means there's no snow, even when it's cold (except for on the highest of mountain peaks, when it gets reeeeally cold). So that means that I'm not very versed on how it is that I'd "warm up" when I choose to make a trip over say, to the US, or to Canada, or to any other cold region that has below "X" degrees and the like.

I've always heard relatives and friends of mine who live abroad, say that they have to wear layers upon layers of clothing, plus mittens/gloves, plus scarves, plus boots, almost as though they're preparing for war!

You can probably detect my question to you from now: what's the best type of clothing that you wear when the time gets really cold?

Do you resort to wool sweaters? layers of clothing? mittens?

What do you do?!

winter clothing.

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    To me it is all about the head and the feet. Jeans, for example, are not terribly warm. But, when I'm wearing cozy boots (like Mukluks or Uggs) it seems like jeans are just fine. Then, as long as my head is warm, I'm good to go.

Right now I have a 6 month old and a 2 year old who I'm carting around everywhere I go. It is difficult to deal with all the extras of layers when my hands need to be free for kids. I wear the baby in a moby wrap and often can get away without even zipping my coat (or simply wearing a warm zipper/button up sweater) as long as I have on warm boots and a hat. I also have mittens where the finger part peels back and reveals half finger gloves. Also awesome.

3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, this is ultimately informative! Thank you so much! Very helpful!
    I appreciate that you have been able to single out the crucial areas that need to be protected! This is great. It's especially interesting that the comfort of an outfit can be so remarkably and almost instantly transformed all from the addition of one single piece of clothing! Head and feet! Ahhh! I got it!
    And I see as well, that the hands are also a crucial part of the body that need to be covered during this cold time!
    It's also essential that we wear the appropriate and most efficiently effective clothing to keep warm when we are balancing our day-to-day activities with caring for our young ones.
    I can't thank you enough. Great advice!

4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    This winter I got a lambs wool scarf with a built in hoodie and mittens. It is so unique and cute as well as warm that it is my go to item for the extra cold days where I live. I love it so much that I plan on getting four more as soon as it warms up and they go on discount for being out of season. If anyone is interested, they start at only $6 on Amazon last time I checked.

5. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    The layers are just practical, really. Because to get a really good warm winter coat, the price would be going pretty high up, you know? So in normal cold temperature (say anywhere bettween -15 and 0), I just wear pants and then I have something like a tank-top or a t-shirt, and then a longer shirt sleeved and/or a sweater, plus my winter coat and apparel (scarf, winter hat, gloves). If it gets to -30 with some wind and I have to walk a lot, then I'll have tights/pantyhose under my jeans, a good pair of wool socks, and probably the same layer arrangement of shirts but choosing a warmer sweater, I guess. Layers are just efficient because this is clothing that you can use throughout the year, normally, you just add it and all to make sure you keep warm. Also more useful when you go in somewhere and then you have to gauge how much you want to take off.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It never gets too cold here so usually just a hoodie is enough for me to keep warm whenever cold weather comes. If I go to places that have exceptionally colder climate, I'd just pack a thicker jacket and maybe a scarf and a beanie as well. I usually just shop for jackets where I am though just because I think it's a bit more fun and even a bit more practical since you could gauge the weather first and also you get to save some space in your bag.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My country gets really cold, in fact there's snow outside right now. I'm currently wearing a pair of leggings underneath my jeans, thick socks, a vest, long sleeved tee and a woollen jumper over the top. I've got to go out later so I'll be adding a hat, scarf and gloves along with my winter coat and boots.

I read somewhere that layering your clothes retains warmth and of course, the jumper can always come off if I get too hot. Layering up also helps me to save on my heating bills.

8. vivivivicky

vivivivickyNew Member

Threads:
    For outdoor clothing, I always rely on scarf along with mittens (which keep my hands warmer than gloves). Though to keep the chills at bay I swear by cashmere (or blended cashmere, they don't have to be super expensive) socks! I find that if I can avoid getting super cold in the first place, it is easier to stay warm throughout the day.

9. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    When the weather gets really too cold for me to bear, I wear layers of clothing. I also like to have my scarf and mittens. These thick clothing really is very uncomfortable since I feel like I am walking like a robot and there are times when my back gets itchy and I need to scratch it, lol! But then I'd rather bear with all these layers of clothing than be sick.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You don't need to too many layers to stay warm.

Too many of them [layers] and you'll be sweating like a pig. On top of them [the few layers], wear a thick long coat. That I'm sure would do the job of keeping you warm quite well.

11. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I'm wearing underpants and 2 sweaters on -15degrees anyway. I find that polar clothes are pretty good insulators. Especially mountain gear. Try going for multiple layers rather than one or two, because it will help you get warm and not have any problems when it's windy.

12. PrettyBrainQueen

PrettyBrainQueenBanned

Threads:
    My husband wears an A-shirt a t shirt, long john thermal, another shirt over that and his jacket/and or coat. Dressing for war seems pretty much right, but there's no way to have like 1 or 2 layers and be "warm". Unless you are in a snowsuit pretty much.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Layers, but not too heavy and not too many layers. Cover all extremities, such as hands, feet, head, and ears, especially well. These seem to be the places that get the coldest the fastest. The saying is that these are the places where heat most easily escapes the body. I'm not sure if that's factual or if it's just that they are the furthest from the heart and therefore don't get the best circulation. All I know is that those are the places I get cold fast. Cover those well, and you should be good.

When layering, the single most important piece for me is an undershirt, and it has to be tucked in. I usually just throw on a tank top under whatever I'm planning to wear and tuck in the tank top. Otherwise, I feel like air sneaks in under my shirt and makes my back feel cold.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also live somewhere where weather is mild and there is no such thing as "minus" degrees! We have no snow! But when it gets really cold (and when I'm travelling somewhere really cold), the best thing for me is wool! I always like putting wool pants/leggings underneath my jeans, and also a couple blouses underneath my coat. Also, boots are my best friend in low temperatures!