Best Cooking Oil

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Aug 9, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been using canola oil ever since I started cooking because it's what my parents use and it's all I ever thought of using because of that. I have also tried using olive oil but I never really liked it all that much because it has a strong flavor and I don't like it very much, although on some specific dishes like pesto I find it okay. What other alternative cooking oils do you guys use or do you also just use canola as well? I'm thinking of trying out peanut oil and grape seed oil but I don't really know what types of dishes they would be more appropriate for, so I'd like to hear from you guys about your experiences with these oils or if you have any other recommendations that are worth checking out.

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I love olive oil but they are quite pricey so I rarely use it. I have a bottle which I only use occasionally. Other times I stick with palm or vegetable oil since they are healthier than peanut oil and are relatively affordable. The best for me would be to not use any add-on oil at all. Normally meat contains oil so I just cook them without added oil.

3. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    Olive oil is my favorite oil to cook with, but I also keep canola oil on hand because it is what I use for baking. I've been meaning to try coconut oil since I hear it has many health benefits, and it can be used for other things besides cooking such as a hair treatment.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only cook with canola oil or olive oil. Those are the healthiest kinds, and canola oil is definitely better and tastes way better then soy oil for example.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use vegetable oil and canola oil to cook. I don't use a lot of cooking oil when I mostly because I do not fry food. The oil I do use is used when I bake cookies or muffins. I am not a fan of olive oil either, it is a little too strong for my taste, I do like the seasoned olive oil that is used to baste food while cooking or on vegetables. The seasoned oils are a little pricey so I don't use them very much.

6. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I've read an article that butter (from grass fed cows) is the healthiest to use for cooking. Way healthier than these vegetable oils we are using. There are dangers that these vegetable oils present in our digestion. Just search on google 'butter healthier than oils'. You'll be directed to some interesting articles.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    For general cooking I'm using sunflower oil because it's cheaper and for salads I use olive oil. Since a lot of friends recommend it I'll soon try coconut oil. From what I read it burns slower and the taste is not bad at all, we'll see. Now, back to sunflower oil. In the past it used to be more thick but these days it looks like water and burns insanely fast - I'm thinking that they dilute it as much as they can to maximize profits.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't touch canola oil since in my country it mostly comes from genetically modified crops. The same goes for corn oil. My favourite cooking oil has always been sunflower oil. I love the sweet, nutty taste, and the versatility of the oil. It can be used in everything, from savoury stir-fries to delicious deserts. I also like using sesame oil for its unique taste and stomach warming qualities. :)

9. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    This is a tough question to answer without more information. Certain oils are best for certain kinds of cooking. Other oils (like olive) you may enjoy dressing your salads with or low frying with but they utterly fail with high temperature frying. So, other than this, I would take into account texture and taste. Again, all depends on what/how you're cooking.

10. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I grew up using vegetable oil for everything in my household. Now that I am older, I try some better types. Olive oil is pretty good. I also just recently started using coconut oil. It taste great especially when making desserts. I know it better for you than some other oils.

11. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    Avocado Oil is fast becoming my favorite oil to cook with, in part because of its higher smoke point, but also because it is a much healthier choice than any other vegetable oil. Second in line would be Olive oil, because you can't beat the flavor, but third would be peanut oil or coconut oil. I try to absolutely never use vegetable oil if I can help it.

12. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Olive oil is my favorite cooking oil and it has certain health benefits as well. I haven't found it to be too expensive, the kinds I usually get are about $5 dollars. Canola oil usually bothers my stomach so I try to avoid that.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Wow. I've never even heard of avocado oil before nor did I ever imagine that it could exist. I'm really glad I made this thread, I'm discovering so many new things. I can't wait to try all the obscure suggestions out especially this one, and I just hope it's available at my local grocery although I'm really skeptical that avocado oil would be sold there, unfortunately. Anyway, thanks again and please keep the suggestions coming guys!

14. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I like frying chicken with canola oil and just about all things I fry. However, I heard olive oil is the best as far as health. The worst oil I can think of is peanut oil. That stuff leaves a horrible taste in the mouth and on the chicken.