Best Dips

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Sep 18, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Do you have a favorite dip for your potato chips, etc.? I do, and mine is french onion dip which goes great with pretty much any plain potato chip brand in my opinion. I'm not too keen on ruffled chips though, which is a shame because they really are the best to use for dips since their structure is one that is specially made for that. Unfortunately, french onion is all I ever buy because there aren't many other alternatives besides cheese dips. Also, from time to time, I buy the artichoke dip of Tostitos which is definitely good and highly recommended by me, but I'm looking for something I could make into more of a staple like French onion, seeing as the artichoke is just a bit of a novelty to me which I buy from time to time to break away from routine.

What are your favorite potato chip dips?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll be honest, I get rather sick of the processed cream or cheese based dips. Not only are they loaded with fat and salt, they are also loaded with MSG. That is one of my gripes when I have a potluck get together, or go to one, because just about everyone brings some sort of cheese/cream based dip with sour cream, and/or cream cheese and/or mayo. I've had to resort to posting a list of what everyone else has already signed up to make so we don't get so many of the same thing.

Too many rich dips like that just upset my stomach, especially if I am drinking cocktails with them.

I will often be more willing to try out any creative non-dairy based dips instead, such as a hummus dip, or a dip made from roasted artichokes, or even a red pepper or black bean dip. I don't feel as guilty eating these, and they are still very rich and filling. I would say that I am probably tied between hummus and black bean dip as my favorites. You can make either of them more rich by simply bumping up the olive oil content in them, but it's a much healthier fat plus you are getting more fiber.

I love guacamole too, but I don't buy it as often because of it's price and how quickly it goes bad.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never eat chips. Instead, I cut up raw vegetables, such as carrots, beetroot and celery, and eat them with my home made dips. I never buy any commercial dips, as they usually have additives or GM ingredients. I love making avocado dips with tahini, lemon juice, garlic and cayenne pepper. Or another favourite is aduki beans with seaweed and umeboshi paste. The possibilities are endless. Why not experiment a little next time you feel like a dip? :)

4. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I don't eat dips with chips that often. I'll eat french onion dip if I'm at a picnic or something. I prefer hummus or baba ghanoush with my crackers and veggies. Or straight up cheese and crackers. I'm getting hungry typing this :) If I bring a dip to a potluck I usually go with spinach artichoke. Most everybody enjoys eating that one.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm with another poster who mentioned not really enjoying store bought dips too much...there's so much extra junk put in them, and it's really not hard to make your own. (A lot of them you can even make in the crock pot & you basically set up and forget about it until it's done ;) ). Here's a super easy one with just a few ingredients & quite appropriate for this time of year :).

Ingredients
    4oz of Cool Whip
    Small Package of Pumpkin Spice JELLO pudding mix
    6oz Plain Green Yogurt
    8oz (1/2 can) of Pumpkin Puree

Instructions
    Whisk yogurt, pumpkin puree, and JELLO pudding mix until combined.
    Fold in the Cool Whip and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Serve with Cinnamon Sugar pita chips, pretzels, graham crackers, or apples.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I love salsa for my chips. I make my own, too. I do not like artificial dips like cheese dips because they make my stomach hurt. Salsa is great for anything, too not just for chips. :D I especially like it with hot sauce. Yum!