Best Free music players that can handle playlists well?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by megadelayed • Sep 9, 2014.

1. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I currently use MediaMonkey as my music player, and I find that if I alter the playlist, it doesn't save. I found this out when I recently replace my hard drive and when I tried to play my playlist later, all I can find was the one that I imported from Windows Media Player, which I moved from because when I start the program it would freeze for about a minute while updating my library. So this really annoyed me as Mediamonkey offers what Windows Media Player can't, but the fuss with the playlist is really annoying. Does anyone else know a solution to this problem or have a better free music player that the could recommend?

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I can't really recommend anything other than the one that I'm using. I've always used iTunes for my music because I have an iPod but all in all iTunes is a really great music player, especially when it comes to handling playlists and other stuff. Give it a try it's free.

3. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I find that iTunes are too restricted as well as most formats aren't supported, especially FLAC which is what most of my music is in. Unless I convert all my music to an Apple format or MP3's (which loses quality) which is a lot of hassle I don't want to go through.

4. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Foobar2000 and WinAmp are two great free music software players I'd strongly recommend for anyone after a player which is much more flexible and able to handle playlists. For WinAmp in particular just remember to check the Options box when installing as a lot of the freeware programs have a lot of bloatware on them which you probably don't want.

5. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just use VLC for playing my music. I just put all of my music in a single folder, maybe create a few sub folders for the genres and I just make a playlist out of them. It's not the most convenient app to use but it does the job for me.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah that's true. I had trouble with FLAC files once but I think it really depends on your use, I mean I use iTunes for music mainly so it's no problem for to downgrade to MP3 since I can't even distinguish a 320KBPS MP3 from a high quality FLAC file. But iTunes is good with playlist.

7. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    MusicBee is my favourite. Give it a try, handles playlists absolutely well, even giving you custom filters you can use to build automatic playlists based on your criteria.
    Completely free and syncs with Android devices and some iPods. The best thing might be that it'll copy all of your playlist information from iTunes automatically if you've been using iTunes for a long time.

Here's where you download it if you're interested:

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Spotify!!! I don't use anything else. I pay for the premium version, but the free version is fine. You just have to bear with the ads every once in a while. You can also make songs available offline with Spotify premium. It's the best overall music app I could ever find!

9. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I find itunes really easy to use and organize. I have not had any problems with it that I can think of. It's free software but of course you have to buy your music. I think if you want to use an ipod or other mp3 player itunes is probably your best bet because they are pretty reliable.

10. ReDGuNNeR

ReDGuNNeRMember

Threads:
    foobar2000 is so much better than iTunes. Its such a large install and the software is very bloated and slow if you do not have a top-of-the line system. I would recommend foobar2000 (You have to customize it or else it looks like a plain' ol application) or Winamp if you just wanna download something and play music right away. VLC player is very unwieldy when using playlists and not as visual as other music players such as the ones I have listed. Happy hearing!

11. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I use Spotify and i can honestly say, it's the best music player ever. I like it because it's lightweight but with a decent interface and easy to manage settings. You can save and play songs from your local hard drive or you can listen and discover songs in it as long as you're connected to the internet. If you're a premium user(which means you're paying monthly), you can save songs offline and you can play with unlimited skips and free of ads. But if you're using the free account, it's fine too but you have limited access to the program.

12. Nevi

NeviNew Member

Threads:
    Spotify is probably the best music player I have ever used, user interface-wise it's appealing to the eye, it has two versions free and premium, The free has ads on it but it's bearable considering you get a huge library of song. The premium does not have ads on it. Adding music is very easy, just search for the artist or the song and on the click of a button there you go straight to your playlists. It has even radio stream too. Best music player app hands down.

13. elbycap

elbycapNew Member

Threads:
    Music

Hi Ya,
    I really like Slacker Radio. They have a great variety of music. And if you don't choose a membership, you can still submit your favorites and it'll play those.
    Be well!!!

14. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I use foobar2000. Honestly, I haven't tried a lot of the other programs out there. Out of the box, foobar2000 looks like a really old software, but with a bit of tweaking you can customize it to your liking.

15. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Media Monkey and I've never had any issues with creating and editing playlists like you've mentioned. It's a great program that lets you manage your music library with ease, and it will handle podcasts, videos, and other files, too. There are tons of great options out there, though, and I'd actually say that iTunes doesn't compare to some of the lesser known alternatives like Music Bee, Foobar2000, and a couple others.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried using Windows Media Player, VLC, and Real Player. Real Player seems to store your playlists, so I suggest you give it a try.

17. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    foobar2000 should be the only music player anyone ever uses. Seriously. It's 100% customizable so you can make absolutely anything out of it, look whatever you want it to look and do whatever you want it to. It's also free and AFAIK open source. Pretty lightweight too, and it's probably the best tool for converting audio files to whatever do you need.

18. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a bunch of players here in my desktop. I have a habit of trying out different players at the same time until I see for myself the one that really suits my needs. The players I have here are Real, GOM and in the past, KLM. I like GOM better and I sometimes use Real when there's a file extension that GOM couldn't read. GOM tends to lag, though. Real, on one hand, has lots of online notifications to the point of annoyance.