Best Insurance for Self-Employed?

Discussion in Life & Health Insurance started by SEA81 • Apr 21, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    Hi, I've been searching everywhere for some good advice on getting insurance as a self-employed person. Everything seems so expensive! Does anyone here have any experience with this or any good recommendations?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm assuming you mean health insurance. Buying insurance for yourself as an individual is very expensive. It's much cheaper to get group insurance. Do you belong to any professional groups? A college alumnae group or service organization? Often these groups offer health insurance at group rates.

3. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    einsurance.com shows a lot of different options, but I'm just as interested in you as finding the best. I'm currently on state assistance, so I have medicaid, but I need to find better dental and vision. Blue Cross Blue Shield individual is like $400 per month, which is absolutely ridiciulous.

4. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately I wish I could help you out. We were looking as well for our family because my husband took a new job and we are paying over $500 a month for coverage (and that is through his company). Prices are ridiculous these days! I am curious to see if you get any good responses on this so that we may look into it as well! Thanks for posting!

5. Traveller

TravellerMember

Threads:
    Well, seeing as how you already have stuff wrong with you, anyone who will take you. You'll probably pay more, and it's possible depending on what's wrong with you, that no one will take you AT ALL. If they do, they can refuse to cover the stuff that's already wrong with you.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, everything is about to change (in the US anyway), so my advice might become a moot point.

We are also self-employed. We are a family of 5.

You have to crunch some numbers. You basically have two options:

1. high premiums (monthly bills) with low deductible
    2. lower premiums with high deductible

What you need to look at is the MAX OUT OF POCKET for both plans, and figure out what is the most economical if you should have an emergency that causes you to hit your max.

I planned a pregnancy last year, so I basically figured I would hit my max out of pocket (which I did because of an emergency). It turned out that I saved money by having a low premium but high deductible plan. Weird as it sounds, having "worse" insurance was actually cheaper in the long run.

Obamacare is obviously going to change a lot of this, and to me it seems like healthcare really will be affordable for everyone. This year we pay about $525 a month to insure our entire family under a $3500 deductible (per person). All wellness is 100% covered, and we've not had any expenses above that. This was the cheapest option for us.

Next year though, it looks like we'll be paying about $600 for the YEAR for a similar (actually better) plan.

7. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried

? They provide links to where to find benefits and places to learn about the coverage. I have been reading up on that to figure out the right health plans. It's not as easy as I thought it would be to decide on the best. First I discuss things over with my bank, and then I look for the offers from each health insurance providers, and then I request for information on the plans they suggest me. What seems to be the right attributes are a complete, affordable and reliable coverage plan.

#7Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014