Best items to buy at a dollar store

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dissn_it • Apr 9, 2012.

1. Charis

CharisNew Member

Threads:
    If you are trying to conceive the pregnancy test can not be beat. Especially with the way woman who are trying to get pregnant like to test! They really do work.

The aluminum pans are a great savings compared to other stores. I will buy those to make lasagna and casseroles that are messy.

When I know I have functions that I am bring a dish I will stock up on bowls and trays from there. That way there are no worries about getting it back.

Anytime the kids have a school project to do that is also my first stop between the poster board and craft items most of the items they need can be bought there.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for all your replies. I have seen a few items that I had not thought of buying at a dollar store before. I will have to look at our local one and see if I can find them there. We just had a new one open up in our small little town that is not a franchised one so I hope they do well and stay for a long time. A lot of the chained ones around our area have closed over the years.

3. renmew

renmewMember

Threads:
    Personally, I try to stay away from food products at the dollar store. We have a lot of "hole-in-the-wall" type stores and I just don't know where the products all come from. However, I love to buy all my office and school supplies there, plus small gifts, some toys, and wrapping/decoration. I only tried cleaning products once - I bought the dish soap, but found I had to use too much in order to keep up the suds. In the end, it wasn't a deal. I might give the laundry soap a try, though, if it really does work pretty well.

Oh, my favorite buy is the mechanical pencil lead. I get a ton of it for far less money.

4. dj3000

dj3000New Member

Threads:
    The soda is a great thing to buy there. They sell a whole two liter for only 89 cents. It is a great deal and it can save me a ton of money.

5. MegaZx

MegaZxNew Member

Threads:
    Most things at a dollar store are cheap and they work pretty well for the value that you purchase it. I would stay away from food at a dollar store, but I would buy soda from it since it is nice and cheap. Something the sodas can be flat though, so watch out. Hopefully the clerk would be nice and compensate you for your drink.

6. LisaC

LisaCNew Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love the dollar store! I buy all my cards, paper products, cleaning supplies & I love their seasonal section for summer gardening items & holiday decor. You can not beat the prices & they always have some really cute things there, and I love walking out with lots of things for a great price!

7. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    I like to get LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner at the Dollar Tree. Gift bags are also a pretty good buy there. And, if you like to coupon, some of the Dollar Tree stores (at least in my area) have the Sunday newspaper for a dollar!

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Agreed, SarahLizzie, I also stock up on cold remedies, dressings, throat pastilles and other medicine cupboard items. I also buy baby items for my granddaughter, birthday cards and wrappings, and DVDs and CDs. Their cooking utensils are usually excellent quality as well. In fact, I always trawl up and down each aisle, in case I miss something newly in stock.

I almost forgot - I buy my hair colourant from Poundland when I go to the UK. In Poundland, every single item is £1 - there are no more expensive items, and some items are 2 for £1. Their hair colourant is the best colour I've found, it leaves my hair beautifully soft, covers my little bit of grey, and lasts for around 3 months. Why pay more?

9. GOKuCommander

GOKuCommanderBanned

Threads:
    I buy mostly school supplies at the dollar store. I also sometimes buy chocolate and candy.

10. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    We have pound shops here in England and I can buy pretty much anything I need from these, and everything there is cheaper than it is at all other stores. If they just catered more for food products and stuff, I could probably do my whole weekly shop at one of these stores.

11. MEGATRUCK

MEGATRUCKMember

Threads:
    I always love to buy those movie candy boxes at dollar stores. Also, I picked up a Coca Cola glass there about a year ago that I still use today. Great quality and look for something that only cost me a dollar.

12. Doodle12

Doodle12New Member

Threads:
    I used to think there was not much of a difference between a Dollar Store and a 99 cent store. I work with first graders. Every Friday was have "Treasure Box". This is a reward system based on a behavior chart we use in the classroom. Every student who does well with their behavior in the classroom all week gets to select a prize from the Treasure Box. It is areally big deal for the students. I get a ton of stuff from the Dollar Store and the 99 cent store. You just have to watch the prices at the Dollar Store as many items are more then a dollar. Whereas at the 99 cent store I find all the items are 99 cents or less. It is an inexpensive way to get great items the kids really love. I also buy greating cards and gift bags at the Dollar Store and 99 cent stores.

13. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Baby wipes are only .94 for a package of 74. We don't use toilet paper anymore just wipes, and this is really a big savings, while feeling much cleaner afterwards. I don't know why but toilet paper just dosen't do it for me. They also have great deals on diapers. We all know too well how much they can send you back!

14. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    I think school supplies are the best thing to buy at a dollar store. There are a lot of different things offered obviously, and it's a really good deal. I'd say some items are questionable. I bought beef jerky once at a dollar store, and it was actually really good! I went back last time to look for it again, but they didn't have it. :(

15. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    We have a dollar store culture in my part of town. There are several dollar stores on every block and everybody buys everything at the dollar store. The only thing I wouldn't buy at a dollar store is food... because it always looks dusty and shady to me. But everything else -- envelopes, cheap dishes, kitchen supplies, detergents, socks (but not underwear... ew!), paper, pens and pencils, etc -- gets bought from the dollar store.

16. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I agree that the pregnancy tests are a great deal at the dollar store. They are offered at such a great price. You can pay an arm and a leg at Walgreens.

Yesterday I picked up some popsicle makers for this summer for $1. They have some cute bright summer things that are definitely worth it.

I have bought clothes there for my daughter, but they are not the greatest quality. I try to stay away from their clothes now, although there are some that are really cute and priced at a great deal, so it's hard to beat it.

17. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite dollar store items are socks, dust masks, and rubber gloves. I buy most of my socks from the dollar store because they seem to last a long time. I use the dust masks for cleaning, so I can get around my allergies. When I wash the dishes I prefer to use rubber gloves, it's just a habit I picked up when I was younger. I'll buy junk food because there because I can afford to stock up with chips, candy, and gum.

18. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    The best things (at least in my opinion) to buy at dollar stores are cleaning supplies and batteries. Going to supermarkets or grocery stores to buy those items can get pretty expensive. Dollar stores usually have those items fairly cheap in comparison.

19. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I can find some of the name brand products here for cleaning. For example the local dollar store sells the normal size Tide for 4 bucks compared to 10-15 at the store. Also you can find some great glasses at these stores as well without having to worry about them breaking on you because of how much you paid for them.

20. adolf

adolfNew Member

Threads:
    Almost all items I buy at the dollar store. Through one of the dollar store near us has a little meals area as well. They are providing really awesome service and products. Some periods their items are more efficient than the name product, and other periods they are just as excellent.