Best items to buy at a dollar store

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dissn_it • Apr 9, 2012.

1. love2loveu

love2loveuMember

Threads:
    Certain Candy is good to buy from the dollar store. I like buying sour patch kids. I also will buy certain cleaning items like bleach and Ajax from the dollar store as well.

2. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I had miss girl scout's season and I really wanted somoa cookies. I was going to try to bake a batch myself, but I discovered a replica at the Dollar Store. I wasn't expecting much from the cookies, but they were amazing! They tasted very similar to the original, and I was so happy that I found them. I crumble them up and use them as an icecream topping too.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Batteries. They don't have to be great or the longest lasting when they are only a dollar. Especially, C or D batteries. Stock them up and have them ready for the $1 flashlights you also bought at the Dollar Store.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy school supplies, office supplies, cleaning sponges and scrub brushes, Nag Champa incense, plastic food containers, imitation Ziploc bags, and mailing and gift wrapping supplies. The dollar store can be a good resource if you go in knowing what things cost at the regular store so you don't overpay. $1.50 for off brand dollar store Hamburger Helper is NOT a deal when Walmart sells the real Hamburger Helper for $1.50

5. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Toothpaste, foam plates, napkins, batteries, toothbrushes, trash bags, shaving cream, deoderant, shaving razors, plungers, pens and pencils. Nothing edible basically. I'd never buy anything edible from a dollar store. Not even a pack of gum. I get that sort of thing at CVS, Duane Reade, or Rite Aid.

6. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks a lot for the list. I find that Dollar Stores have great kitchen supplies, besides other items. The things are well worth over a dollar. I hope the stores stay around, they have a diversity of good things to purchase.

7. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    There are two main dollar stores in my area I go to. Ironically enough, they're both right across the street from one another. And then there's a third one next door to one of the ones I frequently shop at. Then a few blocks away from the mall. There's another one. And two blocks down from that one, there's yet another one. Dollar stores are indeed going to be around for a long time. In fact, I think in New York City. Dollar Stores might soon outnumber Bodegas! I never thought Bodegas in NYC could be outpopulated but it could happen!

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's true. Here in Miami, there's a dollar store every few blocks. I don't know how they all stay in business, I only have 2 that I go to. I think dollar stores will continue to thrive during rough economic times because they are the only store that you can walk into and feel like royalty, knowing you can afford anything in that store.

9. melissa

melissaMember

Threads:
    I absolutely love the dollar store for kids stuff! Things such as coloring books crayola crayons glue craft supplies just everything in general.

10. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

I think they stay in business based on item pricing. Some items like for example, soap. At one dollar store will be 99 cents for 3 bars. But at another it'll be $1.29. The first store will make more business based on that alone. Also sales. If you're selling 3 rolls of tissue for $2.00. And the other dollar store is selling 3 rolls for $2.00. But it's Scott at store 2. And store 1 is selling a lower quality brand. The store selling Scott 3 for $2.00 will make more business.

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The best products to buy at Poundland (the UK equivalent) are biscuits, chocolates, snacks like crisps and nuts and basic essentials like tea bags. You need to be careful though because some of the items are actually more expensive than the other stores.

12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have found that sometimes a dollar store is actually higher priced than a supermarket or Walmart. You have to check prices, and then you can get some good deals with a dollar store. Another thing I like, is that I have a dollar store a lot closer to where I live than Walmart, and if you only need a few items, it is a whole lot easier than finding a parking place and dealing with the crowd at Walmart.
    My most favorite dollar store has to be Dollar Tree. Everything there IS actually a dollar, and they get some really good liquidation bargains there. They even carry food items, and they are much cheaper than at the store as well. The people that work there seem to always be friendly and helpful, in every Dollar Tree that I have shopped in.
    And they always carry a great variety of seasonal items, so over all, it is just a great place to shop, as far as I am concerned.

13. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I love my Dollar Stores. I have to say I love going there because they usually always have a sale. I love getting my Laundry Detergent from them, I love getting my Airwicks, and some snacks. Not a big fan of all Dollar Store Snacks, because they can be more expensive than Walmart. I have always been a Dollar Store love and probably will be until the day I die. I guess I owe it to living in a small town and going to browse to keep me busy:eek:.

14. zoeysmama2011

zoeysmama2011Active Member

Threads:
    For me, I have always found that the dollar store carries a very cheap but reliable brand of pregnancy tests. Some dollar stores even carry ones with the sensitivity of the First response brands. I used a dollar store pregnancy when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. So definitely, a great buy in my book.

15. delco

delcoMember

Threads:
    Cleaning supplies is a big one. You get basically the same thing for a heck of a lot cheaper.

16. Waektra

WaektraNew Member

Threads:
    which dollar store you mean?

17. effy

effyNew Member

Threads:
    I always buy q-tips and floss from he dollar store, as well as hair ties and bobby pins. recently i've started getting school supplies from there too.

18. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Some of the best items I purchase from my local dollar store is candy, cleaning products, office supplies, school supplies, decorative pillows, window treatments, some dinnerware, and party supplies.

19. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Glasses, batteries, cleaning supplies.

Damn, they sure have a lot of those "i know this is bad for my health, but it's so tasty for what they cost" candy, i used to go there several times with a couple of friends to recharge our weekend candy supply!

20. InsomniacGirl

InsomniacGirlNew Member

Threads:
    I usually go to the Dollar Store to buy wrapping paper, cards, holiday candy for my granddaughter, and have sometimes bought plastic containers there. I have purchased some cleaning supplies and were happy with them, but I wouldn't do a 'full shopping' there as I have seen some people do. That's just me, though. I do really love the Dollar Stores. :)