Best items to buy at a dollar store

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dissn_it • Apr 9, 2012.

1. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    For me the best items to buy at the Dollar Store are gift bags, hair accessories, toothbrushes, facial tissues, books, office supplies, zipper storage bags, kitchen utensils, some snacks, tableware - got some great soup mugs once. Bought a bunch and gave them out at Christmas. Everyone loved them! One of the best items to get is sunglasses; I no longer buy expensive sunglasses because they either get broken or lost.

2. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I also like to buy school supplies and cooking supplies in dollar stores.
    The halite actually sent all that bad and I end up getting so much more for only one dollar.
    Sometimes we have to realize that we lay for the brand and not the product which is why dollar stores are so wonderful to shop at.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some dollar stores also have old timey grandma products that regular stores don't sell anymore.
    I was looking for one of those rubber bathtub stoppers that keep the water in the tub, then you pull it out with a chain when you want to drain the tub. I couldn't find it at Home Depot or Walmart, they're apparently obsolete, but the dollar store had a few different kinds. Dollar stores also have retro soaps like Octagon.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I will generally buy most of my condiments at the dollar store. It's a no-brainer to just pay $1 for each of them, vs $2-$4 a piece at the big chain grocery stores.

When I'm throwing a party or bringing food to a party, I like to get their trays and party dishes there too. That way I don't have to worry about getting my good plates and containers back - they can just throw them out (or wash and re-use them if they like).

One thing I heard you shouldn't buy from dollar stores though is toothpaste. Apparently, it's imported from countries outside of the US, and the flouride levels in it are much higher than what is sold in the states.

5. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with your list, those would be on my list as well. I would also pick their candles as well. I live in an area that gets hurricanes, so candles are a must, and they are cheap and reliable. But I their cleaning items really are great. Not just for in the house, but their car cleaning stuff is super as well. Plus it saves me a ton of money. I also buy things there like scrunchies, hair brushes, tooth brushes. It is cheaper here and generally the same as I buy at Walmart except I save $4-$5.

6. Aquila

AquilaBanned

Threads:
    Good thing but most of the times it depends on my needs what do i actually need and whats gonna help me for having something,So yeah keeping it this way can help me a lot with learning a lot and at the same time knowing how money should be spend on something.

7. zuulspaceman

zuulspacemanNew Member

Threads:
    I really like it when they have cheap candy there or I buy some packing supplies there when I need to ship something. I don't buy a lot from these kinds of stores because then I end up having to go back due to how cheap the product was. Cleaning products are the worst at the very cheap dollar stores because they don't do a good job at cleaning and then you end up having to shell out more money for a good product.

8. vdenayb23

vdenayb23Member

Threads:
    I enjoy shopping at my local dollar tree. I buy anything from combs, snacks, lotion, powder, toothpaste, cleaning products, house spray, snacks, decorations, holiday decor, cups plates, gift bags tissue paper balloons and much more, I love that they always have good customer service to. I never have a complaint. Im in dollar tree every week.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dollar stores are great for a number of items. Of course, some dollar stores are better than others. As Vdenay stated, Dollar Tree, is one of the better ones. At least in my opinion. I definitely agree with Chanell about the sunglasses. I have bad luck with sunglasses, so I don't feel as bad if something happens to them if I only pay a dollar. I have gotten some really cute ones too! I even got a pair once that still had the original tag on it from a popular drug store; the original price was $15. I really liked them for $1.

10. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't go "full shopping" there myself but they really are great for a lot of things...school and office supplies, candy and snacks, storage and organization stuff especially. There are a lot of options and things that you can use in a variety of ways, too. I've seen some really interesting blogs mainly about utilizing dollar store finds and some of them turn out pretty impressive :).

11. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I am within walking distance of a Dollar Tree. This shows in my home. I buy lots of grocery items regularly. My bread, eggs, sugar, flour, cornbread mix, snacks, cookies, candy, chips, frozen fruit, canned vegetables, pasta, and rice all generally come from Dollar Tree. However, I must admit that I can't wait until we can afford fresh bread and cage-free eggs. I also buy my cleaning supplies there. The paper towels and toilet paper they sell are terrible, so I don't bother. Wrapping paper, thank you cards, notecards, ribbon, and most other special event items come from there. Find out from the cashier when trucks arrive, and time you visits for right afterwards. It will pay off.

12. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I buy a lot of items from the dollar store. I always check expiration dates - it's a habit from working in a grocery store. I've never had a problem buying food from my local dollar store so I'm really glad about that. Sometimes I'll stock up on shampoos, conditioners, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and other bath and body items. I can get really good deals if I combine coupons. The Dollar Tree accepts coupons up to $1.00 (so free products sometimes!) and I've never had any issues there.

I've bought candy for movies and regular food, and they have a good selection of cooking items. I'll also usually go there to buy add to stocking stuffers for Christmas for my niece. It's usually stuff I would have bought anyways but I don't have to pay $2-$4 per item.

13. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I buy snacks all the time from the Dollar Store. I bring them with me whenever I go to a movie theater. The food sold at the theaters cost a fortune, but you can't be a dollar per snack from the Dollar Tree! It's a really great deal. I also like purchasing kitchenware and cleaning products from the Dollar Tree. Their products work just as well as name brand products that go from five to ten dollars or even more!

14. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Dollar Tree stores is simply that, a store to buy needs and wants at a cheaper price. I buy anything I need/want at Dollar Tree store, and if such a business does not carry what I need/want, I go to another store. The usual thing I buy at Dollar Tree stores are batteries, snacks, drinks, and party stuff.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, there are some great crafts that can be made with dollar store finds. I love candles and candle holders, and you can get them cheap to make a nice centerpiece (that doesn't look cheap when you're done). There are some really creative people out there that make cool stuff. I try to come up with ideas like that too, especially when it comes to holiday decorating. Those blogs and stuff give me inspiration.