Best Places To Sell Used Clothes?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by beasleym1989 • Mar 4, 2016.

1. beasleym1989

beasleym1989Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure this forum is the appropriate place to ask this question, but I didn't really see any others that it fit into either. Right now, I currently sell my clothes on eBay. I hate that eBay makes commission on what the buyer pays for shipping as well as the initial list price.

Are there other places that you guys have had success with selling your clothes? I've heard of Poshmark, but never used it. What about any online consignment stores?

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that eBay is the best place if you want to sell online - and of course they will charge a fee, because they have to make a profit from the company that they are running. If you are willing to put in a little more effort into the selling of clothes, then you might want to do a yard sale or even try to sell them via social media - this is something that is always worth trying if you want to make a little bit more than you might on the auction websites. So yes, why not give it a go? You might find that you can make more money out of it at the end of the process, with no extra fees to worry about!

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I just learned of a place online where you can send your old clothes to be sold on consignment, but I have not tried sending then any yet. It is called swap.com. You basically sign up for an account and then request them to send you a mailing label. They then sell your clothes and you get part of the proceeds. I am going to try it out.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I think eBay is still the go to site when it comes to selling both brand new and second hand goods. I remember a friend who was able to buy a second hand gadget for a very reasonable price through the site and she says she's quiet contented with it. I just don't like how they charge a seller multiple times. Just like what you said, they have charges for the item itself, for the shipping, they have a monthly fee and they charge for every other extra service so basically everything you do with them gets charged.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have 4 brand new pairs of pants to sell that my daughter only wore like once. They are the floral printed skinny jeans and are still very popular. I am going to try selling them on Ebay first and then will try the new Swap.com site. I will let you know if I have success or not.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thing about Ebay is that it has localized stores and basically operates in various parts of the world. So if you're an Asian, you'd best sell your used clothes via Ebay online stores based on Asia. I am not sure with Etsy and Swap but at least I know I can sell stuff to my fellow citizens through an easy and hassle-free method.

7. beasleym1989

beasleym1989Member

Threads:
    Yes, please do come back and update me about Swap.com. I have seen a few posts about this site a couple of different places. It might be worth me doing some research about it over the next week or so and look at how much of their sale price I would actually get back.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also recommend sites that where people can both exchange or sell clothes. Since there are many people who visit these sites to find great deals on clothes I think it's a lot easier to sell clothes on these sites then elsewhere and even if you don't if you can swap clothes you'd still save some money.

9. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I sell on eBay and for the most part I do not mind it. I do not pay for listing and most times I get a discount on the shipping. I have just heard of another site called Vinted and it sells clothing and accessories and beauty products. It is similar to eBay but there are some differences. There is also Let Go and Thred Up. I know there is more but I cannot think of any other ones right now. I would also be interested in finding out more about Swap.com. I might have to check that out.

10. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I understand the dislike for eBay, I don't blame you However, it's going to be hard to find a website that doesn't take a cut. You can also try local Facebook groups, I see plenty of people having success selling old clothes on there. Consignment shops are a thing, too!

11. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    This might sound odd, Facebook. I sell my old clothes and other items through Facebook in two ways. First way is I belong to an auction group that is local. All week you post your items on the Facebook page with a minimum bid price and a closing auction time. People bid and when your auction is closed you name the winner and meet them at the big meet for that week.
    The second way is through consignment. There are several people in my area that have made consignment pages on Facebook to sell items. I drop my items off, they sell them on the Facebook page and later on I pick up my money. I get fifty percent and the consignment lady gets the other half.

12. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Selling used clothes can be tricky especially when you are selling in a local environment where everyone else has something to dispose. There are several online sites which you can sell your clothes. A good website in terms of assured sales is Twice. They have a hands-on approach. You send them your clothes. They then photograph and take measurements and then advertise it to customers.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Rosyrain@Rosyrain I would definitely try selling those particular items directly in the local Facebook sales groups. In my area, they'd be snapped right up. You could search around within the groups first, using the brand name, to see what to charge. I usually meet buyers in a public parking lot, often Kroger or CVS, although many of the local police departments will allow people to transact business like that in their lobbies these days, due to the potential for scams and violence.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to do it of eBay before their listing fees sky rocketed, now I don't think it's worth it. It just gets too expensive when you add on top of that the postage and a few other add ons they have on offer to maximise selling potential. I've never heard of swap.com, but it sure sounds like it's worth a try. I never even knew people could do this via Facebook!

15. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I initially ran across the Facebook local sales groups when I was joining some marketing and networking groups for my online shops. I found a few I liked, and got curious about what other types of groups existed, and came across a treasure trove of amazing groups for local sales, as well as other interests of mine, including birding, gardening, etc.

There are so many local sales groups here that some are based on being different from other groups. Some actually state in the title things like 'No Drama', which of course gives you an idea of what goes on in some other groups. Also, as with any other place on the internet, it's important to be watchful for scammers.

@Lushlala@Lushlala I used to have an eBay shop years back, and then I would sell an occasional item there after i closed the shop. I rarely do these days, but from what I've seen, they are trying to turn things around and be more responsive and supportive with sellers. I agree with the fees being too high, though, which is why I now sell elsewhere.

I always recommend Bonanza as an alternative to eBay. A lot of sellers who left eBay years back when they started heavily favoring buyers over sellers, migrated over there. I have had my shop there for quite a while. Although I don't have a ton of sales there, I also don't do much marketing of that shop, yet I sell about as much there as I do on Etsy, which I market heavily.

16. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have a bunch of brand new clothes that my kids do not wear and they do not sell on eBay. I posted 5 pairs of pants for cheap, but nobody bid on them. They were Target brand clothes and nothing fancy. Perhaps I will list them as a bundle on Facebook and see if I get any takers there. EBay is not good unless the items are designer brands or highly collectible.

17. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    Ebay is probably your best online choice, but you probably won't get much money from it. You'd more than likely have better luck finding a store in your area that buys and resales gently used clothing.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try Olx and Craigslist, you can list your items there for free. I have personally used Olx, there is a local version for most countries. There are also lots of Facebook groups where you could join, I see a lot of those buy and sell groups all the time. Just transact face to face and don't do any shipping transactions and you're all good.