Best Shipping Services?

Discussion in Shipping Services started by Eric John • Apr 16, 2012.

1. Eric John

Eric JohnNew Member

Threads:
    I have a quick question. I am needing to send a lot of things by mail and wondering what is the best company to go through. I have not tried all of them, but it seems that they all have their pros and cons.

I have tried UPS which seems to be a little expensive, but seems to get the package there quickly.
    I have not used USPS in a long while, but seems like if the product will fit in one of their nice sized boxes, its a good option.
    I recently tried Speedee Delivery and they were super cheap, but my product was destroyed and working on getting the product back.
    I have not tried FedEx either.

Anyone else have better options or have any preference?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what I am shipping. UPS is a tried and true and also have the best on-line tracking system so if it is something of value, I go with UPS. I have not used FedEx for quite some time as they used to be more expensive. The least expensive around here is USPS so for smaller value items, I use them. USPS also has on-line tracking but it doesn't seem to be updated regularly like the on on the UPS website.

3. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    USPS is probably your cheapest option but I don't know if I'd recommend it. I haven't shipped anything through there or really through anyone since I don't sell things online or send things to family through the mail. But I'm thoroughly disgusted with my recent experience with USPS. Now, I've heard horror stories about people not getting their packages, packages being damaged, lost, stolen, late, etc. But, it hadn't happened to me, so I just ignored it.

Not long ago, I ordered an e-cig item that was being shipped from New York. I had ordered from this same company many times and my packages always arrived close to on time since I got Priority mail (1-3 business days, almost always 2) but occasionally it would take 3 days. No big deal. Well, this order took 6 business days to get to me!!! I was seriously ticked off. I could have saved money and got First Class mail. If I pay for Priority, I better get Priority shipping. Waste of a few bucks, but that adds up.

I don't really have any options aside from USPS for a lot of my online purchases, but that doesn't mean I have to like it :( I think my best experiences have been with USPS. I almost never get FedEx because people just don't offer it that much.

4. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    Shipping through USPS is, I think, cheaper, but as a customer, I prefer to get things via UPS. I have found them to be much more dependable delivery-wise than the post office.

FedEx is good too, but the few times I've used them for shipping, I've found the process a little more complex than it is with the post office or UPS.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    If you go for USPS make sure to get a tracking number for insurance (Priority Mail has tracking numbers available). Also, USPS Express mail or EMS could work. I wouldn't recommend UPS, FedEx, DHL or USPS First Class. Stay away from those!

6. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    As a customer, I would prefer to receive my items through USPS Priority or Express Mail. However, if I were a seller I would choose the cheapest one, which I think it's USPS too.
    I have heard about many bad experiences with FedEx or UPS, so I would recommend you to try to avoid them

7. brentcsi101

brentcsi101New Member

Threads:
    I ship all of my eBay items through USPS. By using paypal, it is integrated with USPS's shipping program, so I can hit a few buttons and print out a shipping label. It is so convenient, that all I have to do is bring the box to the post office, or even schedule a next day pickup. Probably the greatest thing other than sliced bread.

8. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing this information with us! I had no idea about this.
    Do you take the box to the post office and they put in another box? How much do USPS's shipping services cost to you? Do you have to pay extra for the insurance?

9. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    UPS is a more secure option as they are a worldwide company that manages all of their packages. However, USPS is the cheapest option, and when shipping to other First-World countries is a fine option. Now USPS is not good, if the country has a corrupt mail system that you are shipping it too, but there is no guarantee with any carrier. My favorite carrier (in Canada) is Purolator, it's fast, and they seem to actually care.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I generally just go with USPS. UPS seems to be more reliable usually, but they're also pricier. Like someone above said, I prefer receiving them from UPS, though, simply because I know it'll be hand delivered and won't be stuck in the system for very long.

11. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    In my Opinion that is DHL and UPS i have experienced the both i have found DHL more efficient when its about timing and delivering the product on time,They are expensive but yeah i guess its worth giving them that amount of money so yeah this is my opinion.

12. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Thats the thing, the cheaper services dont ship as quickly. They are cheaper for a reason. It all depends on personal preference.

I like UPS because of the fast delivery. Gotta live with those prices they offer.