Best Time To Buy A Lawnmower?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • Jun 7, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I may need to eventually purchase a lawnmower. For now, I'm using a trimmer to do the front and letting the back yard go to pot, since I don't go out there much anyway. I don't really need a mower just for the front yard, and they don't work well in the ditch out front, which is also my responsibility, because of the steep grade. That's why I opted to purchase just a weedeater/trimmer last year.

The trimmer does a pretty good job, but even the light one I bought is causing me issues with my shoulders, so I'm considering adding a mower at some point in the future. Back home in Massachusetts, it seemed that after July 4th, everything for outside and the beach/pool went on sale. I'm not sure if that's the case everywhere. Down here, we have warm temperatures for much of the year, so I was wondering, what is the best time to buy a lawnmower/lawn tools? Is there a particular point when they go on sale?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A lawn mower is expensive here so it is not in my agenda. And I haven't seen any lawn mowers in our community anymore. Maybe it is passe? I don't know.

I am lucky to have 2 housemaids at home who take care of the mowing. They are using the scissors for cutting the grass and they use their bare hands in pulling out the weeds. Right now the rains are starting to come so the grass grows so fast especially the weeds.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    In Ontario lawnmowers generally go on sale in the fall. That's when the best prices are found. I think they can also go on sale around Father's Day too. I would check the flyers this week and see if any of the big box stores like Lowes or Home Depot have mowers on sale. I would recommend buying a good brand name. I have a neighbour who has gone through 2 different lawn mowers because he bought cheap ones.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, summer things go on sale after July 4 here too. I think the Fathers Day flyers are a good thing to check. @Diane Lane@Diane Lane, you might want to consider craigslist too, because they have some people on there who buy, fix up and sell lawn mowers as a business. I bought a riding mower on there for approximately 375 bucks, several years ago and have gotten a lot of use out of it. I had to give him the 375, and trade my old lawnmower in which was no great loss, since it wasn't working anyway..He delivered the mower which was awesome.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hadn't considered Fathers' Day, but y'all are right, that would be a time for the stores to push lawn mowers and other back yard tools and accessories. I don't have the money for a purchase right now, but was more thinking in general, so I'd know not to purchase one right before they went on sale. That's a great idea @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon. I know someone in the area who does the same with computers and related items, so I'm sure there are people around here who fix up and sell lawnmowers, as well.

6. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, the end of grass cutting season is the best time usually because they want to get rid of what they have in stock since it is really costly to store or ship back large items like lawnmowers. However, I will say that this type of end of season sale is not always advertised so it's best to just go into the store to see what they are trying to get rid of. I have also found that sometimes stores have special clearance isles or sections of their stores, too. So, when you are trying to get the best deal for something, you may not necessarily find it in the department that houses the item that you are looking for. It is always best to consult a knowledgeable store employee to find out if they know about when markdowns may occur as well.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    The best time to buy a lawn mower is during summer. When its not raining, grass doesn't grow luxuriously and lawn mowing services are at a low ebb. The other option is to buy older versions of serviceable pieces or buy secondhand from landscaping companies since they always have such machines for disposal on as-is-where-is basis. Auction sites are also a good alternative. Another period to buy one is during the end of the year. During the festive season, other products sell furiously in tandem with the celebrations while lawn mowers gather dust in showrooms where you can negotiate an impressive bargain.