Best Tips for Losing Weight?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by MoniqueSeibel • Aug 11, 2012.

1. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I thought we could all share are best tips for losing weight. I know eating healthy and exercising are the obvious choices. But how about we least more specifics, such as your favorite type of food to eat when trying to lose weight or your favorite cardio exercise, etc.

One of my favorite things is just drinking loads of green tea. I also really like drinking low-sodium V8, which is like 30 calories and gets some extra vegetables in.

2. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I used a eat tuna sandwiches and lots of fruit and vegetables when I was trying to lose weight. Plus, a lot of calorie-burning exercises like running and bicycling are sure to help you shed weight quickly.

3. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with the advice on green tea. If we take a cup every day, has very positive effects on our body. Another important tip is to make 6 meals a day, to thereby keep the metabolism active. During the summer we can take to eat lots of fruits, we also provide good nutrients and satisfy our appetite. 30 minutes of physical activity per day, is another key to staying fit. Consistency in routine is essential. Good thoughts, good energy, and smile at all. That has to suffice. :)

4. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    The program I have had with the most success is Weight Watchers Points Plan. I eat whatever I want as long as I don't exceed my daily "limit" or points.
    I think a very important part of dieting, though, is one's mindset. :)

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been recently successful at losing weight by increasing my daily protein and reducing carbohydrates. I have also stopped eating anything that comes in a box. This has helped me to eliminate a lot of hidden sugar in my diet.

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Cut sodas and drink more water! Always include fruits and veggies in your diet especially during breakfast. Pineapples are really good because it is fiber-rich. Bananas are good too if they are available. Of coarse it will always be important to get rid yourself of stresses. Enough sleep will also be a good way to maintain your fitness.

7. pk86

pk86New Member

Threads:

I think the best cardio workout involves high intensity interval training which you can do with a jump rope, elliptical, treadmill, outdoors, etc. What I like is that the time is short (so you can have time for other things) but it's very effective. I lost more weight and inches this way. I prefer the elliptical because my knees aren't what they should be.

I have a big box of green tea that I never get around to drinking. Maybe I should replace my lunch time meal with green tea and see what happens.

My favorite meals are from SkinnyTaste.com. I've only tried a handful so far and they were all hits!

8. MoniqueSeibel

Threads:
    All really great tips. I agree with the high intensity interval training as well, I have incorporated this into my workout program. I also agree with the importance of sleep. If your body isn't well-rested it isn't going to be easy to have effective workouts. Studies have also shown we tend to overeat when we haven't had sufficient sleep.

9. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I lost the most weight when I stopped eating things with processed sugar. The only beverage I drank was water and I ate a lot of salads and fruit. I only did it for 45 days, but I have still not gained the weight back. Also during that time I did a 24 hour fast.

10. MoniqueSeibel

Threads:
    Congrats for not gaining the weight back! And I agree, eliminating processed sugar is a must. The only beverages I drank are green tea and water. How has your diet changed since those 45 days?

11. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Personally, slow and steady has allowed me to lose 50 pounds and keep it off. When I started my weight lost journey I realized whenever I abruptly stopped eating unhealthy foods, I would crave it even more and then I would resort back to eating unhealthy, which would only make me gain weight. I have cut a few things out of my eating habits overtime and I take it a day at a time. Also, I prepare most of my meals at home instead of eating out or on the go. I exercise 4-6 times a week focusing mostly on cardio exercises.

#11Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  12. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    Eat less. There's more to it, but what it really comes down to is quite simple: put less food in your mouth. You can lose weight without exercising if you control your diet, but not so much if you try it the other way around. So:

-EAT! don't starve yourself or your body goes into emergancy mode and holds anything and everything you put in your mouth. just cut your portions and eat small fruit/veggie snacks inbetween. a good snack is anything with B6 or B12 in it, it boosts your metabolism and makes you burn a bit more.

-Move! most people are over weight because they don't actually go anywhere. you don't need to run or cause pain to yourself. just taking a mile or 2 walk every other day is enough to keep your body burning what it takes in.

-Don't skip breakfast EVER. this really helps.

-Cut all sugary drinks. stick to water and maybe one coffee a day if you need it.

Good luck.

13. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    You lose weight when you are using more calories than you are putting in. So a combo of exercise and diet management.

I am trying myself. I am doing daily walking and some weight lifting with a dumb bell set I bought where you can change the weights on it.
    The second part is watching what I eat and trying to control portions. Portions is the biggest part for me.

My daughter is doing weight watchers which is all about negative calories by counting and it is working about pretty good.

14. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    What I find helped almost all my friends including myself...and we are all at our desired weights for the last decade or so is....keep a food journal. Just a little book where you jot down what you eat and when...then you track what you are consuming. In addition, you can add an activity journal where you journal how much activity you did for the day, or get a pedometer...and then you can track the energy you are using.

Use more energy than you take in...and you will be at your target weight and shape in no time at all.

15. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Before trying anything, you must first consult your physician. Remember that its your life is at risk here. There are diet and work out plans that are too much for specific body type. What you must first try before doing fitness work out is the cardio exercise.

16. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I think a few simple changes can yield great results. Instead of taking elevators, take the stairs, instead of driving walk...etc etc, just simple, maintainable changes can do a heck of a lot to change things.

Eating a good breakfast, and several smaller meals during the day will also boost your metabolism and help you burn that fat away quicker. Try not to snack, and if you cave, have something healthy, such as fruit or vegetables.

Be careful of fruit juice, due to its high sugar content, and drink mostly water to not only give you a full feeling, but also to hydrate and cleanse you.

17. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    Are you bored with exercise? Jogging for and hour can bore you to tears. It is good for you in many ways if you have the right shoes, but you end up wondering if jogging is what you will spend the rest of your life doing. Here is a tip. If you are into competitive sports and need something quick and easy to get into that will help you get in shape, tennis may be right for you. I just started playing competitive tennis. Even though I am a beginner, the running around for two hours has my weight dropping rapidly.

18. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    Drink lots of water. Reduce your salt intake, eat less sugery things, less bread, eat bananas to keep your potassium level up, if you increase your water intake or take a potassium pill every now and then.

19. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Keep plenty of healthy snacks for when you really must eat something. I always keep some hard boiled eggs in the fridge, and sliced cooked chicken breast for snacking. It's filling and low fat, and it soon takes the edge off my appetite. Keep some bananas in the house as well - they're good for filling power and energy. Plan ahead so there's always something healthy to eat. I keep a pan of home made vegetable soup on the go for a quick snack or meal.

20. benn08

benn08Member

Threads:
    Don't know if it hasn't been posted yet, but one good tip for losing weight is to drink ice water.
    Your body has to adjust the temperature of the ice cold water to match with your body temperature, and by doing so you lose calories in the process.
    So whenever you feel like drinking water, drink cold water! Absolutely no work for some lost calories.