Best Value Fruit Juices

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Jul 4, 2016.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you buy generic juice or branded ones? I drink both depending on whether they are made from concentrate or how many other added ingredients there are to make up the drink. I prefer less sugar, but also taste is very important as well as the health aspects.

I like Tropicana and Copella, but Marks and Spencers have a good range as do Waitrose. Some cheaper brands aren't worth it as there is little fruit in them, but some basics ranges are good value such as Lidl's own juices.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Neither - for the simple reason - apart from being extremely unhealthy - that as the majority of store bought juices are not actually real juice but are in fact - nothing more than overly processed chemical cocktails - purposely designed to give the illusion of being healthy “ real “ juice - in order to trick the consumer into paying a high price for them - its highly doubtful that any of them could be considered value for money

Especially bearing in mind that - as manufacturers appear to be free to say what ever they like when it comes to the ingredient list for fruit juices - particularly as even the ones labeled - “100% pure juice ”, “ not made from concentrate ” and “ not pasteurized “ contain very little real juice - let alone any nutrients and are generally also - heavily laden with undisclosed artificial additives, flavorings, preservatives, hidden sugars, salt etc - what the consumer is paying a high price for - is in reality - nothing more than chemically produced fruit flavored sugar water - masquerading as real juice

Which kind of comes down to the best value fruit juice - being the one you make yourself at home from pure natural fruit - as not only is it way healthier than anything that can be bought from the store - but its a whole lot cheaper - especially as you get a lot more juice for your money too.

3. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes buy Tropicana and Waitrose, however, most of the time I buy Real juice, a juice brand manufactured by a local juice company. Tropicana and Waitrose are expensive for me even though they are good quality. Real juice cost about 50 percent less because it is locally produced using local produce, thus, it is cheaper. However, I don't buy packaged juice much. I prefer to buy fruits and make fresh juice myself.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just bought some grapefruit juice at a retailer that has 100 percent Vitamin C. It was like a half gallon for .68. I was really pleased, as I have played like 3x that much or more for the same product. This retailer sells alot of products that are like overstock products, and when they run out of shelf space or they aren't moving, they sell it for even less. It is the "My Essentials Brand," A Midwestern wholesaler that sells food products far less than any name or even generic store brand.

5. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    Just wanted to point out that manufacturers are actually required to be open about the ingredients and nutritional information in their products. Therefor, if you ever buy a juice box that says 100% pure juice, then you have no reason to worry as it's most likely true. Plus, with all respect, not all chemicals and artificial juices are unhealthy. Sure, they might not be as healthy or beneficial as the juice you can make at home, but it definitely wouldn't kill you either.

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy cheaper juices, but I have to agree with Copella being great. I love their lemonade too but I've not seen it for some time. I think it's worth spending a little more on it if it's really great quality because you'll enjoy it more if the flavour is good and it's even better if the ingredients are all natural and healthy.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here we only buy Tang, Nestea, Nesfruita, etc. They are all powdered drinks. I know they are not healthy, but I still continue to drink it because they're cheaper than soda and they taste good.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Isn't fruit cheaper where you are? Can you make your own juice? I would prefer making my own but it's very messy and also fresh fruit isn't cheap in the UK. If it was then I wouldn't mind. I had an ex who used to make fresh juice for me and it was much better, but so messy.

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:

I hear you and no offense intended - but much as I'm always interested in hearing other people's opinion on numerous topics and am open minded enough to respect those beliefs and opinions too - whether I agree with them or not - this is one of those instances where I think agreeing to disagree is probably for the best.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo, Yes fruit is indeed cheaper where I live, although we don't have a blender, so we just resort to buying powdered drinks. I didn't know that making your own juice can be messy? I guess it depends on the fruit. Blending mango would be easier, I think.

11. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I don't buy a lot of juice. I only buy juice if it is on sale and I have a coupon for it. So, I guess when I buy juice, I buy a name brand one more often.

We drink a lot of tea or juice when we can in our household. I grow lots of lemon balm, I use it in lots of dishes, but I also make lots of tea from it too.

12. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I sometimes make my own juice but most of the time I either buy the cheap ones or buy the drinks that you can make with powder, such as punch-flavored ones. That way you can put as much water with it as you want in order to control how sweet it is.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Calamondin is by far one of the cheapest fruits you can buy and make fresh juices from. It's the smallest type of citrus there is and I'm not sure if it grows beyond the tropics but it grows in abundance where I'm from and it doesn't cost much to prepare it. However, if you have a juicer at home, any fruit would be worth it, regardless of price.