Best version of Linux to try for new users?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by lavenderblue • Mar 23, 2014.

1. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    Ubuntu was kind enough to send me a disc of their operating system for free. I tried it, very interesting operating system and worked rather well with my system. I was interested in trying some of the Linux-only applications like Baskets, which is kind of like Evernote or Onenote for Windows. However, I've heard Ubuntu is a bit basic as far as Linux distributions go. Has anyone tried any other variants of Linux? What has been your favorite or had the best set of features?

2. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I think for new users Ubuntu is the best option. These days it has an easy to use interface that is almost similar to Windows. You do not have to worry about getting lost anymore. It is really a nice operating system these days especially if you are going to use ultimate edition.

3. mikerossuk

mikerossukNew Member

Threads:
    I've tried other versions of Linux and I like Ubuntu. I think the fact that is similar to Windows is a positive, in fact, I liked it so much that I moved onto Lubuntu which for those of you that don't know is a stripped out lightening quick version of Ubuntu which was first rate.

I still use it to this day and is great for older machines that struggle with the demands of Windows 7.

4. Quaestor

QuaestorMember

Threads:
    A lot of people don't like the way the most recent releases of Ubuntu have gone with UI changes and integration with Amazon, etc.

There are a few other distributions you can try such as Mint or maybe even Fedora if you're feeling adventurous.
    Ubuntu may be the easiest for a beginner though, as it has - by far - the biggest user base and therefore has the most people asking questions and contributing to the project.

Once you get to grip with the basics though, you can change between distros fairly easily - the hardest part is the initial setup and after that things can seem mostly the same.

5. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Mint was the first Linux distro I have used. I think it's simpler than Ubuntu if you're used to Windows. The Ubuntu interface felt more unfamiliar to me. If I had to stick with one I would probably choose Mint. There is Elementary OS which is based off Ubuntu but more lightweight and minimal.

6. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I will probably try Mint next if I'm going to try another Linux distro. I've heard about it before and the aesthetic of the ui is very nice and pleasing. I've heard of Fedora as well, namely that it has a ton of customization options for people more into figuring out how Linux works from the inside out. Same with ArchLinux. I hope the driver support for these distros are good.