Best Ways To Be Frugal When Traveling?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Apr 27, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people tend to spend a lot of money when they are vacationing.

They saved the money so they can spend it, so why bother saving some of that money? Well you could use the money you save to buy a souvenir or buy something else when you get back home. Got tips you can share?

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think in part, it depends on your travel plans. For example, if you're driving to your destination, it makes sense to pack a cooler and bring along drinks and snacks (and maybe even some food like sandwiches), instead of paying higher prices for individual items at every stop.

Many people also opt to travel at night, to avoid one night hotel stay and so they get an extra day of fun in once they arrive. Another good option is to use "filler" activities in between bigger ones. Say you're going to a festival or something on one of the days you're on vacation. During any down time, you can visit historic places or try some more affordable or even free attractions instead of more expensive options. It's really all about planning.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My biggest savings now come from not buying souvenirs and gifts for others back home. Back in the day I'd always make sure to buy some items to bring home for family and friends but now I just spend everything on myself. I know it sounds selfish but buying gifts is just too expensive that I find it meddles with my ability to enjoy my own vacation. Additionally I don't think the people I give gifts to find that much use in what I bring home anyway so now I just utilize the money for my experience rather than on souvenirs that would just collect dust anyway.

4. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah i do agreed with you that most of people do like that they spend lot of money on it and then wait for the months and months to have another vacation. I can't do that i prefer to do less expense but not so much i do control extra dues of mine travel look for some of the reasonable budgeted deal and then had an estimate of all budgets.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It does depend on where you go, because you may go the mountains or lakes and there isn't anything to buy. Rather than being frugal, I like to see it as sensible because if it's not a place you will return to, it's nice to have some memories so postcards or a small memento that means something to you.

Sometimes it's nice to buy something local to support the community even if it's buying a coffee or a muffin.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    You need to plan ahead and make an itinerary. If you just go along with no clue of what you're doing, then you will probably end up spending much more than you planned, however if you plan ahead and budget then you shouldn't struggle in this respect. A little organisation is very important indeed!

7. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Arguably the cheapest options out there for frugal people are couchsurfing, working overseas in local establishments or family houses,etc. Maybe working in vacations is not very appealing at first, but think about that, is a neat idea for any person not particularly interested in spending thousands for luxury traveling but in meeting local people, firsthand culture contact or to look for a chance to do some networking.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we reminisce our first trip to Hongkong, we never fail to laugh at our frugality. We purchased a packaged tour and the accommodation was Guangdong Hotel, that's a 3-star located in the city. Expectedly, food in the hotel's restaurant was expensive so what we did for our first dinner was to buy dimsum from the sidewalk vendor. And we ate that inside the hotel room. And the money saved? I used it to buy some clothes.

9. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I opt to stay in a tent where I can instead of in a hotel where possible as this can save a considerable amount of money. Of course it depends on where I go though. If that isn't an option then I look for the cheapest hotel possible. I'd rather buy food from the supermarket to take with me (or even buy it when I'm there if that is cheaper) and make meals myself than buy food out. I'll also check out the free attractions more than the paid ones too, but if there's something I really want to do then I'll look for discounts to that attraction.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While on vacation, I like to see and experience as much as possible. If I have saved money all year for a particular trip, I don't have any problems with spending every cent of that saved money. I can{t be bothered being frugal all the time. It makes me feel like I am not living my life properly. That constant thought of saving more and more depresses me, because quite frankly, tomorrow something might happen to me and I might never get a chance to use that saved money.

11. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    First of all before planning a vacation, it's a good idea to come to forums like this one to be able to ask more experienced travelers about their experiences during their travelers. You can also check the Internet for websites like TripAdvisor if a certain location you want to go to offers promos for booking and location reviews if it's going to be worth your money. There might also be some free local guides who can show you around the good local places and making use of your phone that can carry apps for traveling may also become handy.

12. TungstenCube

TungstenCubeNew Member

Threads:
    One of my hacks is to make sure to go to Costco or Sam's Club before the trip and purchase a box of power bars to bring on the trips. One of the biggest expenses is constantly eating out, and that quickly adds up over time. The way to beat this thorny issue is to eat a protein bar every time you get hungry instead of buying food every time you get hungry. Countries let you bring pre-packaged food past customs, so you should be okay getting through security.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is good advice. I recently found an online guide of 20 inexpensive or even free things to do at the destination. They have some neat stuff that I probably would have never known about otherwise.

I also like to do some research myself and see what kinds of restaurants and clubs and things are available in the area, if I've never been there. This gives me a better idea of what we will spend when we do go out for a meal. I also like to read the reviews, because some eateries look or sound nice, but they don't live up to the hype (or the expense). I'd rather go someplace a bit less trendy and have a great meal. I don't plan to pay twice as much just for the name on the door.

Some people choose to go for brunch instead of going for both breakfast and lunch separately. That could also save some money, though I'd probably do it mainly because I enjoy going out for brunch. :)

14. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    I personally think that the best way for you to save big on traveling is not to buy anything locally, lounge in the cheapest hotel and eat at the cheapest restaurant. Of course, that's just not pleasurable and you would be better off if you simply didn't travel there in the first place. If need be, save all year long and only when you know your funds are sufficient to at least afford a decent stay period should you consider traveling.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good post. I'd rather not go at all if I can't enjoy it. While I'm not a big spender, I do occasionally like to splurge. You can save on small things in order to allow more money for other things.

I don't want to stay in some dump hotel. It doesn't have to be fancy, but I don't want some dumpy place either. I'd rather spend a bit more for that while saving elsewhere (like having a cooler in the car for cold drinks between stops and stuff like that).

This is what we do. We put away a bit here and there over the year, so we can have a little getaway for our anniversary. It's easier to save up a bit than it is to try to come up with a lump sum all at once.

16. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    One way I like to save if we are going to be driving to our vacation spot is to pack our food for the drive. This saves time and money. Eating at the highway rest stops is expensive. You can save so much by packing fruits, veggies, granola bars, sandwiches, juice boxes etc. Another way we end up saving money is while we are at the hotel, if something goes wrong... my husband will call down to talk to a manager about his concerns. For example one nice hotel we stayed in had dust bunnies everywhere, even in the air conditioning vent. It was really quite gross. My husband called down, spoke to manager and we ended up getting 50% off our stay. Another time, the bathroom was properly cleaned and again we spoke with the manager who gave us a free buffet breakfast. Hotels are in the hospitality business, it is nothing for them to give you a free breakfast in order to keep your business. It does pay to speak up and voice your concerns, it helps the hotel be better.

17. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    The most effective way to save money while traveling is to plan your itinerary and always see to it that you stick with your budget. Impulse buying is something you should avoid. Buying a souvenir everywhere you go can drain your budget without you knowing it. Accommodation is also one of the most expensive aspects of traveling so make sure that you plan your accommodations in advance to find the least expensive hotels and inns.

18. brightmind

brightmindNew Member

Threads:
    I do had several travelling experiences here and in other countries like Hong Kong. Based on being frugal, I always do have a budget in mind. Actually, I'm more focus on spending on important things like food. I don't do extravagant shopping. I always choose cheap packages when booking in my trusted travelling agency.

19. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My family likes to use Airbnb to save money. Our host family usually has some great tips on where to eat and visit on the cheap. It is so much easier than going through guide books.

20. WantToSave

WantToSaveNew Member

Threads:
    Going at off peak times. The difference in price for off-peak seasons in price for accommodation can easily be 50% or more in some countries. They are literally begging you to come visit. A lot of places with extremely hot weather are actually a lot nicer off peak. I went to Morocco in October for a fraction of price it would have been in Spring or summer and it was still mid 20s centigrade every day! perfect temperature for explorations. Loads of deals too on sights and excursions.