Best/Worst Pizza toppings?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by sarz • Mar 7, 2014.

1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Favourite pizza topping is generally anything meaty. When I was an avid Pizza Hut fan it eas undoubtedly deep pan super supreme- no olives. But now I will just settle for a Meat Feast.

Worst pizza topping for me is ham and pineapple, simply because I would never eat it. Seperately not keen on ham but I like pineapple. Fused together on a pizza... Definite no no.

What are yours?

2. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, pineapple is a definite no for me on a pizza. I hate warm pineapple to begin with, but then combined with the saltiness of a pizza? Ew.

I also don't like sausage on a pizza.

My favorites are pepperoni, onions, peppers, and mushrooms.

3. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    In my opinion the pizza topping is Philly Cheese Steak. I always order it with extra cheese deep dish crust. That way it takes exactly like a real Cheese Steak. The worst Pizza topping is anchovies. I absolutely hate them. The taste is unbearable I don't know why people purchase it.

4. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    The best pizza topping in my view is cheese, especially when you get it double layered. I feel like I'm on cloud 9 when I'm eating a nice, hot pizza with that topping on top. It's the best. The worst topping is definitely anchovies. It's just a turn off and does not go with pizza in the slightest.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually love ham as a pizza topping, but I agree with you on the pineapple. I hate pineapples, I hate them on their own, and I hate them even more as a pizza topping. I don't know who came up with the awful idea to put them on top of pizza but it doesn't work! I also don't like it when there are too many onions on top. A little bit okay, but a lot makes the pizza too strong. Oh, and I absolutely despise peas on a pizza! !

6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    My favourite topping is spinach, although it's quite hard to get hold of these days. My worst would have to be mushroom, although I'm not fond of msot topping actually. Pinapple is probably my second worst topping. Margarita and Spinach are the only two I have regularly.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Canadian bacon, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, spinach, and barbeque chicken are favorites. Not fond of olives or peppers and I hate anchovies to be honest.

8. erikao1o

erikao1oMember

Threads:
    Without a doubt, hands down, the best pizza topping is cheese. Could you imagine eating a pizza without cheese?! What would that taste like? Could you even call something a pizza if it didn't have cheese on it? I love to order extra cheese on my pizza, the cheesier the better. I'm also a big fan of pepperoni, and I do enjoy the occasional Hawaiian pizza, those pineapples just hit the spot sometimes.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind ham on pizzas, but I am not a fan of pineapple either. I know tomatoes are technically a fruit, but there is something about the two of those together which does not work for me. It almost reminds me of that taste I get in my mouth when I throw up a little, lol.

I just don't like too many toppings on a pizza all at once since the pizza never gets cooked in the center, and it ends up being all soggy and floppy instead of hot and crispy. Stuff like fresh spinach or mushrooms I am wary of, unless the pizza place knows to not overload on them because they give off a lot of moisture.

Some other things I didn't care for on pizza:

Refried beans - Pizza Hut had a "taco pizza" years ago that was basically refried beans smeared on the dough and topped with cheese. It was starch overload and I could barely eat a slice, plus it was so dry it more or less choked me.

Anchovies - I finally tried these not too long ago, and didn't care for them at all. I don't mind anchovies in other dishes, but large whole anchovies on a pizza make it waaaayyy too salty. The flavor wasn't the problem for me, it was the saltiness.

Fake sausage - considering how cheap fresh sausage is, I don't understand why so many pizza joints use these weird processed "sausage" nuggets that look like dog treats.

Ground beef - I never comes out good on a pizza, weighs it down too much, and makes the pizza soggy and too greasy.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to make my pizza from scratch. I realise that most of you might not have that time, or think that you don't have it. But it's actually quite simple and fast if you prepare the dough the night before. Of course, you can also buy the ready dough and just start arranging your favourite ingredients on top of it. I like to experiment a lot. I have used carrots and zucchinis, Jerusalem artichokes, finely sliced parsnip and many other non-traditional pizza toppings. I am not so keen on a tomato base all the time, so I try different things like tahini or olive paste. The possibilities are endless for a vegetarian like me and, for that matter, for anyone. :)

11. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I love all commercial pizza toppings that are sold. The toppings that I hate most are those home made ones with weird stuff like chocolates, strawberries, and some food stuff that don't belong on a pizza. Pizzas should be savoury, not some kind of weird sweet dessert thingy.

12. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    The worst toppings for me are meat - I'm vegetarian. I'm also mostly vegan so the cheese is a problem unless it's vegan cheese.

The best toppings are basically any fruits, veggies/herbs and mushrooms. I love them all...granted, there's plenty I haven't tried on a pizza before but I like weird combos of foods. I've never had beans on pizza I don't believe but it sounds good as well.

13. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    But they're so tasty and sweet. How can you not like them? Maybe you just haven't had a good one yet that's all.

14. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    I'm actually an enormous fan of the expensive and non-traditional Mexican pizza, in which you replace the pizza sauce with something akin to enchilada sauce, add cheddar cheese, peppers, tomatoes, onions, and ground beef.

Least favorite pizza toppings are the ham and pineapple. They just don't work together for me. Two very different flavors that taste bad together.

15. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I love just tomatoes and mushroom on a pizza. Ocassionally I'll get it with spinach too. I have no idea why, but once I ordered an anchovy pizza and it was disgusting. Generally I like fish and I like pizza, but the combo was disturbing. I'll just stick with what I know I like from now on.

16. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll eat pretty much anything meat so it depends on the place. With Jerry's I order bacon. At Pizza Hut, if I order a separate topping and not the Meat Lovers it will be pepperoni or sausage.
    The worst topping would probably be anchovies or olives.

17. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    One of the worst pizza toppings I have heard of is chocolate! There is a take away pizza shop near where we live that sells a chocolate and chilli pizza! It sounds awful too me and does not go with pizza!

I have to say my favorite topping is steak! You cannot beat a nice fully loaded steak and cheese pizza!! They tend to be a little more expensive for me because I like mine with more steak, but they are more than worth it!

18. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    For me the best pizza toppings is ham. I love ham and love them on pizza. They have these very likable taste to the tongue. I really do not like mushroom in pizza. They are slimy. Even in other dish I do not eat mushroom. I can not swallow it sorry.

19. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd be perfectly happy with a pepperoni and cheese pizza. However, I dislike the more pungent toppings, especially goat's cheese and anchovies. Parmesan cheese all the way for me.

20. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Best.. probably pepperoni, cheese and hawaii
    Worst.. anything that has mushrooms on it. I can't stand them. :)