Better Business Bureau...Does It Do Anything?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by cinderr • Sep 25, 2013.

1. cinderr

cinderrMember

Threads:
    In the old days, you could rely on them to straighten out problems with businesses. It was enough just to threaten to report them, sometimes.
    Now they can't be found, can they? I have looked for them in the phone book with no luck. I know they are somewhere because I worked at a store which was reported for selling fake purses. We had to respond to the charge. (I don't work there anymore)
    What I want to know is how much clout do they really have? Can they do anything if they find a business at fault? What are the legal ramifications, if any?
    Have you ever had dealings with the Better Business Bureau? How did it turn out?

2. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    I actually contacted them a few times but never heard back. Once was when I bought a video game from KB Toys and there was no game disc in the box. The store would not give me a disc nor a refund so I contacted the Better Business Bureau. They didn't respond to my complaint at all. So I had to go to small claims court and get the judge to award me the value of the game which he did.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it only works for small businesses. It's probably terrible with corporations especially one that is a monopoly. We tried reporting Comcast to the BBB and the best we got out of it was a free channel for a certain amount of months and a small credit for the internet even though they've done so many things wrong. Then again that may just be Comcast because they suck like that.

4. Erica3

Erica3New Member

Threads:
    I think they have their own channels, reliable folks it !
    But you have to ask them to worry about the consequences? Of course, to do anything is risky!

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Better Business Bureau is still running in the US and Canada.

is their website.

We don't have the Better Business Bureau over here in the UK but there are other bodies and laws to protect buyers in the online shopping market. The distance selling regulations are very good for buyers.

6. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I've actually used the Better Business Bureau before and it did work for me. They are online now. here is the link.

They also operate by area so that will affect how fast they get to you. Obviously a more populated area would have more complaints and they could take a while. You also need to follow up on your case. Not following up might give the bureau the impression that you are no longer interested in the case.

7. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    Sure it works, if the company that is being complained about cares about their public image. I worked for a company where I was the BBB contact. I had to respond and then write back to the Better Business Bureau with our resolution of the issue.

As it is, if you don't find satisfaction with the BBB, you should contact your State Attorney General. They also get involved with many of these issues as well.

8. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    They absolutely do! I reported to them about an issue I had with Toshiba. Basically I was told my battery would be covered by a warranty, but I had to pay until the old battery was returned. Then would get a refund. Well, the refund never came. And I called Toshiba and they called me a liar. They told me I couldn't get a refund and I couldn't return the battery. I contacted the BBB and explained the situation in more detail. And within 2 days I got my refund and a call from the corporate office.

9. kristyleann

kristyleannMember

Threads:
    I signed up for JewelMint.com not realizing they charged you a monthly fee for absolutely no real reason. Basically you have to order something every month or get charged a fee. Anyway, that was totally my own fault. I don't recall seeing anything at all about the monthly fee thing but I'm sure I should have read the TOS or something...so I don't really blame them for that. I did however, blame them for being absolutely impossible to get a hold of in order to cancel the account. I tried everything and just could not get anything done so I had to resort to contacting the BBB. Fortunately they did get the issue resolved really fast.