Better for your hair, chain shops or mom and pop?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Nick2011 • Apr 29, 2013.

1. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    So when you guys and gals go to get your hair cut, trimmed, styled, done, do'ed, dyed, etc....where do you prefer to go? Do you guys go to chain barber shops like Super Cuts? Or do you prefer the local mom and pop places where the barbers and clients enjoy friendly banter back and forth, and it's kind of like a club of sorts? Or do you just avoid both and you your own hair cutting or trimming? I always go to my local mom and pop barber to get my hair cut. They have friendly barbers, flat screen t.v.'s hanging, and a stereo system. So sometimes while I'm there, I can listen to some good music, and watch the Yankees play while I'm getting my trim! ;)

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a local shop like that wish I did so I go to chains every now and than

3. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I go to the local ones as well. It seems as though they are a little bit more expensive, but they do a much better job and they are more friendly. The local ma and pa shops seem to take their time when it comes to doing anything with the hair. I heard that places like Super Cuts and Great Cuts have time limits and need to finish cutting their client's hair in a certain time frame.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only go to local mom and pop type beauty shops. I only go to a chain beauty shop when I'm in a pinch. I like the personal touch of a small shop. I really like the personalized service.

5. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    I haven't been to a shop in years since I started doing my own hair. I never liked to take the time to go and they were getting more expensive anyway, so I just quit going and do it myself. When I did go, I would go to a mom and pop shop. I did go to a chain once or twice when I just had to. I never had any problems there and was happy with the results, I just prefer the smaller shops where you know your hairdresser and can chit-chat.

6. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Well it's easier for girls or women I assume. I am not good with the mirror thing, so I need someone to cut my hair for me. I wouldn't dare try doing it myself. Shaving my face is a sinch though. But that's because it doesn't involve having to turn in a thousand different directions. :p

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger I used to go to those famous salons in the malls, but now I just go to the mom and pop salon, it's a lot cheaper and there's really not much of a difference with regards to my haircut. I sometimes cut my own hair too if I think I need a quick trim.

8. Lilley1

Lilley1Member

Threads:
    I prefer using a local salon for my hair since I've had better luck finding a more talented beautician. Men seem to have it a little easier and can get away with going to a chain salon for a cheaper cut.

9. sking61

sking61Member

Threads:
    I actually trim my own hair. Therefore I don't have to worry about if they are taking off too much hair. I also see an increase in my hair growth over the last three years of taking care of my hair compare to going to so called professionals.

10. dagz16

dagz16New Member

Threads:
    I like how the local barber shops here cut my hair. They seem to personalize my haircut instead of the big name chain stores. Also the employees seem to hang around longer than the high turnover from the big name chain shops.

11. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Cutting hair is a tough job though. Made tougher by the clientel. If the customers complain, and have stroke, power, money, etc...that person will be undoubtedly fired. And a new person will come in.

12. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    There is really no way to tell. A bad haircut can cost anywhere from 10 bucks to thousands of dollars. A co-worker went to a fancy little chain place and hated the color and cut. She went to a local beautician who she found on craigslist to fix it. It actually looked a lot better with her $15 hair cut.

13. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cut my own hair because I have a shaved head. My hair clippers have lasted 10-years and they are still working well. I reckon I have saved over 1000 dollars by purchasing a pair of hair clippers. I wouldn't cut my own hair if I had a longer style, though, because I don't have the skills to make it look good.

14. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I go to a spa and salon to have my hair done. This is what I do most often.. there are times when I just need a trim and my friend sends one of her stylist home to have it done for me. That is the upside of having a stylist as your friend. :D The best part is she refuses to let me pay each time I have it done in her spa.. she lets her assistants cut my hair for practice and she will do the final trimmings if she is not satisfied with what her trainees do :)

#14Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  15. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    HA! A woman who gets a free haircut boy are you lucky. Lots of people here in New York pay lots of money for stylists to do their hair and such.

16. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I go to local shops. Chain stores make me feel like a piece of meat when they "process" you. When its the weekend and they are very busy it feels like you are on an assembly line. They shampoo your hair then place some product on it and tell you to wait at a certain sofa. They then process someone else and after a certain period of time they call you back to either add more chemicals, perform a step or rinse it off your hair. Also local salons take the time to get to know you and your personality so that the cut or style they suggest will suit you. At chain stores they don't give a d___.

17. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, it just depends on what I can afford, and pretty much, going to a little specialty shop is just out of my price range, and mostly, so are even the cheaper chain salons. However, sometimes, they put out a coupon' and you can get a professional haircut for half price, as a special, and then I will use the coupon and have my hair done.
    Otherwise, I have just managed to learn to cut my own hair. It is not anything fancy, and at first, I just trimmed my bangs, and then around the sides, but now, I do the whole thing. The nice thing about hair, it grows back, so if I mess up, it only lasts for a few weeks.

18. brittanyt28

brittanyt28Member

Threads:
    I've been letting my hair grow out, and I trim it myself. It's so much cheaper, although eventually I am planning on going and getting it styled.