Beware Of Store Layouts

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Jasmine2015 • Oct 1, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard that store layouts are designed to make you buy more than you intended. Sometimes they may put enticing items at eye level. I have often scratched my head as to why stores have things placed the way th ey do. Sometimes there is too much stuff and I barely have room between turning my cart and trying to get passed another customer. Sometimes things seem so fat away and I find myself wasting time between aisles.

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe this to be true. I've seen Walmart just upturn everything and move stuff around for no *apparent* reason. I'll have the place memorized, but then bam! they change it all around. You spend so much time looking for stuff that you're bound to see other things you need (or more likely want), and you'll end up adding them to your cart. There is a method to the madness. It's intended to keep you shopping longer and spending more money.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There stores are laid out to get you to spend more money the stores also play music that they know you will want to listen to and will stay in the store longer hoping yo will spend more money. It has caused me to linger in the store and spend more money while I enjoy the music.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    There is actually a science to the way stores are laid out, and it is a way to get consumers to spend more money. Off brand items are usually stocked on the lower shelves in an effort to get you to buy the more expensive national brand. Candy is placed at the front of the store and at the registers so that kids will ask their parents for it. National brand shelf stable items are often times put on the end caps so that you do not go down the aisle to find the cheaper off brand items.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:You maybe right for I grab things at the cashier's when I'm waiting in line to be rung out. Sometimes I can find things I need like the .99 batteries at the cashier's station where I shop. I think they just want to make every space available filled with products people might buy. Patience is a good thing to have when you shop because there are so many people like us trying to shop too. I can find myself going quickly then I catch myself and remind myself that other's like me are shopping.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The essence of advertising is to stimulate the desire of the people to buy the product that is being advertised. That's fine with me. At least we are being given suggestions that sometimes it's like a reminder. What I do not like are false advertising billboards particularly the discounts which later would turn out false. And since you're already in the store then you will just buy to avoid embarrassment.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm aware of this but I never really specifically got how they arranged things to make me buy more. I'm sure it's working on me more than I would like to admit, but without knowing the specifics it can be hard to fight against. I heard that groceries have developed this down to a science, and it is what I'm most curious about, but unless I have extra money to spend, which I usually don't, then I'm able to stick to my plan.

8. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes its true - absolutely everything from food pairings, tempting aromas, bulk item high profit products in high visibility places etc - are not done for consumer ease - but all strategically placed to entice the consumer into spending more money and its not just grocery stores that do this - but all stores - particularly as - many manufacturers will happily pay what are called “ slotting fees “ for prime shelf spots - with the intention that the higher visibility will attract their target audience.

In fact this is one of the main reasons - why I always organize my shopping list according to store layout and aisles - as not only does it save money - but a huge amount of time too - particularly as - by avoiding the areas of the store and the aisles that don't stock anything that I want to buy - it makes my shopping trip a whole lot quicker and negates the possibility of being enticed into buying something that is not on my list.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    This has been going on for decades, and perhaps over a century. Fortunately the more you become aware of it, the more you can consciously refuse to let yourself get enticed to buy things you normally wouldn't otherwise. This is one of the main reasons I would often do my grocery shopping very late at night (aside from the fact that I couldn't stand all the other shoppers getting in my way and tying up the checkout lines). I would often go shopping around midnight, when there aren't prepared hot foods available for me to impulse buy, or people handing out samples of whatever to make me even more hungry as I shop, or just getting bumped and pushed around by other people, and not being able to think straight and stick to what I came there for.

One of our local grocery chains has started offering a service where you can submit your grocery list online, and they will send an employee to gather everything for you. So all you have to do is drive to the store, and pull up out front and someone will come out with all your stuff. They charge like $5 to do this, but overall you're likely saving a lot of money in the process by not making impulse buys.

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes this is true without a doubt. They will put things that are on offer at the end of an aisle so that you will pick them up as you go past, and they will also make sure that the things you need, such as milk, eggs and bread, are at completely opposite ends of the store, because this then means that you will have to walk past everything else in order to get between the two. It is very clever, and a lot of studying has gone into trying to make people spend more money while they're out shopping.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A good store layout can help you to shop but also they do place certain items at eye level to entice buyers. They do tests as I have been involved in some where they place things to the right to sell as more people are right handed.

It has also been revealed some companies pay to have items placed at eye level, so cheaper products are always at the bottom. Those on the aisle ends are also paid for. That's why I always look at the bottom shelves as you may find better priced items and ones that have not been sponsored.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once saw a TV documentary which showed you how stores get us to buy a lot more that we actually want to buy. Apparently even down to the music they play. I hear this carefully selected music has got a certain way of enticing you into buying more and more stuff!

13. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes
    Yes, stores are very wise to how consumers shop and study this very thing, They know most people will automatically go to the right and they tend to put the most expensive items there, and near the front of the store. The sale items, and essential items or lower priced items are towards the back of the store. Also, in most grocery stores you have to walk to the back of the store to get essential items like milk. Also, they do play pleasant music in most stores to keep you in there and buying as long as possible. Stores know that the longer you spend in them, the more you tend to buy.

14. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mentioned this before, I don't know if it was here or elsewhere. I read about it, and tested it out, and found that some items are placed in more than one section of the store. For instance (I'm making this exact instance up), the Pedialyte could be in both the Baby Aisle, and the Medicine or Health section. The same exact product might cost more in one section than the other. Also, they will put things such as the batteries at the register, and those will be marked at a higher price than the batteries within the household/battery section. I tested it out using the in store scanners, and the prices were different. Also, if you see an item (brand name usually, as mentioned above) on the end of an aisle at the intersection, it will often be priced higher than if you go to the appropriate section where it's normally placed.

I made a quick stop at the grocery store yesterday. One thing I was picking up was potato chips. I went to grab what I thought was the usual bag, around 10 ounces. It felt light, and the price was around the usual sale price of $2.98, so I checked the weight, and it was 8 ounces. I've never seen an 8 ounce bag of Lays Potato Chips before, so I looked down, and there was my usual variety, 10 ounces, on sale for $1.98. Obviously I bought the 10 ounce bag, but if i'd been in even more of a hurry, I might have missed it, and wasted a dollar, for even less product.

I don't mind some of the tricks they play to entice us to buy products. After all, they are in business to make money while providing a service, but I do mind the different prices for the same products.

15. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmmm I don't think the store I go to usually does that, but it is something to be aware of. I don't think buying batteries or other household or non grocery items are usually good to get at the grocery store. Sometimes, maybe if they are on sale, or are their brand...but most of those items are usually good to purchase elsewhere. The exception would be the cheap grocery that is located in the town because they tend to buy close out items and have them marked below cost. I save money on most things there, but the downside is they don't have everything, and a lot of their stuff is low quality.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've totally noticed this. Now that I am a member of the targeted demographic (the main person who does the shopping for a household), I've noticed that music that I listened to growing up is the music that is being featured in stores. Even when it's instrumental, it's a collection of popular songs from my younger years that I instantly recognize. A bit of happy nostalgia to put a spring in your step as you make your way around the store? Genius.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hehe @Zyni, these people are crazy good, but a little creepy at the same time! To think that we're being subliminally targeted without even knowing is a little worrying. I can see the logic because obviously, when you feel nostalgic and happier, you're bound to want to add to that buzz by spending!

18. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've noticed this too. At my local Tesco, goods like rice, coconut milk, spices and sauces are priced lower in the World Foods section than they are in the general produce aisles. They're exactly the same brands and the same sizes too.

19. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've actually noticed that same thing with the international aisles. It works the opposite of how I would expect, because you'd think items in the general stock aisles would be the everyday prices, and since the international items would be considered specialty goods, I would think those would be the higher prices. It's sometimes difficult to tell, especially if the prices aren't readily visible, but this is definitely something I'm going to keep in mind when shopping.

20. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've noticed it on some commercials, too. The music used to be targeted toward my parents' generation. When did I get so old? ;)

Another thing to watch out for with the prices besides different prices in different locations is the "economy size" or other large sizes. We generally expect these to be less expensive, at least per ounce or per unit, but you have to check. The larger one is not always cheaper. I've noticed this a lot over the past few years. I wonder how many people they get with that one?