Beware Of Store Layouts

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Jasmine2015 • Oct 1, 2015.

1. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

Yea I know what you mean, it's like I blinked and suddenly I'm like my mum and dad's age LOL I don't want to grow up! Oh well.

Yes, I've noticed the larger packs aren't always what we're made to believe. I honestly thought that it was just over here. I mean, it's just ridiculous because it's so easy to tell! But I guess a lot of people fall in that trap, that's why stores take advantage of it. Some people will just grab and go without looking at the price.

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right? Where did the time go? I'm still young on the inside.

I'm always surprised by how many people really don't pay attention to details. I'm not surprised that stores and other sellers take full advantage of that fact. I don't like it, but it's almost expected these days, sadly.

I was surprised when I first realized that it was going on. I also notice that some companies will continue using the same packaging but put less inside at the same price. I mean, it does say so on the label - IF you pay attention - but like you said, some people just grab and go.

3. Lushlala

Threads:
    @Zyni@Zyni....Yes, I've noticed that one too. Everything seems to have been cut down, yet stores don't reduce the prices. Maybe we notice it more because we don't have money to burn LOL?!

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed another one the other day, one I'm really questioning. I saw a package that said, "New package, same amount of food," (I'm going to say "food" instead of what it actually was until I can do some more research). Anyway, it was not the same amount. The package has always been 8 oz. for as long as I can remember, but the new package contained 7 oz. I've never seen this product in a 7 oz. package before this. It was of course the same amount as the 8 oz. package. That just came across as completely dishonest, and I plan to look into more. I may need to make a complaint. Sure, it's only 1 oz. but it's the principle of the matter.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:

Yes you're spot on - I too have been noticing this trend for repackaging items and then charging the same price or more for less contents - especially as its becoming quite a regular thing where I live - in fact they've even started repackaging some of the items they did not so long ago and each time they repackage - the contents are always less - yet they are still priced the same or sometimes more than the original prior to it first being repackaged - so yes I'm totally with you - this is a very underhand tactic on their part and one because its designed to deceive the consumer - that I find really hard to think of as anything other than dishonest.

6. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    I'm guessing this is for those bigger city stores? I've never noticed these type of layouts at my local grocery stores or Walmart. Maybe I've been deceived by it so many times that it's not even a thing to me anymore. Lol. However, I have noticed how they do their prices. Right before they advertise for a big sell, they upcharge all their items and then put the prices back to the way they were when they're having a "savings" sale throughout the store. I thought that was really untasteful.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's the whole buyer beware thing, I guess. They "catch" the people who don't pay attention and are able to wring more money out of them. I don't like it.

I live in the country, and it happens here as well. Walmart is one of the worst, at least here.

There was a little store here that was similar to a Family Dollar type of store that was going out of business that marked everything up before marking it down. Their "huge sale" where they promised up to 75% had prices for many goods that turned out to be the same as or higher than regular prices elsewhere. I found it very insulting.

8. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't much like it either and although I appreciate that all businesses have to do whatever it it takes to make a profit these days - I do think its a great shame that we've now got to the stage - where we all have to be constantly on alert - for all the underhand tactics that might be used to entice more money out of us - but especially when it comes to supermarkets and grocery stores - who not only take full advantage of the fact that food is a necessity - but also throw perfectly edible food away everyday - rather than donate it to those that need it.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I absolutely agree. I've become very cynical, due to the "highest possible profit no matter what it takes" attitudes these days. As my dad used to say, "I don't mind them making a living, but they're trying to make a killing."

I've always felt the same way about the wasted food. I've heard that there are issues with them donating the food, because apparently someone abused the charity of it all by suing in the past. Fear of lawsuits keeps it from happening now, from what I've been told. I'm not certain of it, but I've heard it a number of times.

10. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I've heard similar things too and also - that in some countries - because of the problems with dumpster divers - as well as the possibility of lawsuits for providing access to foods - that may, if eaten later than the dates they were thrown out cause illness - grocery stores started bleaching all the perfectly edible foods as well as the perishables before they were thrown out - the latter of which has now been banned in some countries and has in the case of Belgium and France - fortunately led to a new law being introduced - where it is now illegal for supermarkets and grocery stores to throw out any “ unsold but still consumable food products “ - as it is now compulsory for those foods to be donated to charity.

That however - although obviously a pleasing step in the right direction - doesn't alter my views on the very underhand tactics now used to entice more money out of the consumer.

11. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    End caps (the ends of the aisles in stores) are definitely a part of this scheme! They are easy to get sucked into, because they look appealing and seem like they are there promoting a sale, when often if you look down that aisle for similar brands of the same product, you can find a better deal.

12. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I can relate to this and I know it's true. Especially for kids. They put candy right before the checkout line and right next to it, so kids will grab it and it will tempt you. They put a ton of things on eye level so you'll be intrigued and want to grab it. I've been guilty of buying things I wasn't intending on buying just because I saw it while walking past. And yes it does worry me that we are subliminally targeted. Makes people continue buying when they don't need to and then we're always broker than we should be.

13. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    Speaking as someone who has worked retail, we absolutely do put things in places that make you want to buy them. There is a whole science to it, and most corporate offices will send a map telling the stocker where to put things. There are certain things at eye level, there are certain things at the register, and there are certain things placed in one aisle and not the other. Don't be fooled. There is a science to it. You have to go to the store for exactly what you went in there for and no extras. That's how you wind up with buyers remorse.

14. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Layouts are definitely strategically designed to help sales. Ever wonder why candy and soda are right near the checkout line at the grocery store? It's because they want you to impulse buy it while you wait online. Also there are always "kiddie snacks" near the checkout so while you are waiting your children will want them. Also they always put sale items at the aisle ends so you think your getting a better deal them you actually are and throw it in your cart.

15. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, there is definitely a science to how stores are laid out. I think I had mentioned in a previous thread that the cheaper items are usually placed lower down on the shelves since one tends to see items at eye level more readily and are less inclined to look further down on the shelves. Also, from time to time, certain areas of the supermarket would be laid out differently so as to make the items look more attractive or maybe make them more visible. I have seen this done where I shop, in the vegetable and fruit stalls.

I have also been tempted in the past to buy extra stuff when I am at the cashier's desk, things that I did not have on my shopping list to begin with. Usually what they have there are sweets, chewing gum and chocolates. I do not do this as often nowadays though. I try to keep to a strict budget.

16. Lushlala

Threads:
    I agree with the food being donated to soup kitchens and the like. I hate food seeing 'unsold but still consumable food products' being chucked out and wasted. Over here I was shocked to find out recently that at the end of each shift, the food is collected and donated to dog shelters. None of the staff, who're on very paltry wages are even allowed to take any for themselves. I don't know what the rationale behind this is, but I thought it was strange.