Beware Of The Pre-order Items!

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Lovely Babe • Nov 25, 2015.

1. Lovely Babe

Lovely BabeNew Member

Threads:
    This is common when you Shop To the resellers because most of their posted items are pre-order; meaning, the items are still in their supplier and that they don't have the control of the items' availability. I'm not saying that this apply to all resellers, but there are some whose doing this kind of modus.
    There are resellers that really want to make a profit to the point that they will lie to the shoppers when the shoppers ask for the items' availability. Resellers will tend to say "Yes, it's still available" even though they are unsure. And when the shoppers will send their payment, that's the time when the resellers will go to the supplier and check for the item if it's still available. If the chosen item is no longer available, the resellers will contact the shoppers and say sorry for it's no longer available that someone just bought it. Then, will ask the shoppers to just choose for another item as for their second option.
    My point here is that the shopper has somehow scammed because she paid for the item that is just her second option and not the one that she really want. I mean, a shopper is being forced to choose for her second option because she has no choice as she already sent her payment. I don't imply anything mean here, I just want to share my friend's disappointing experience. Have a good day!

2. AnnMarie

AnnMarieNew Member

Threads:
    Again, another informative post. It is all news to me what happens with online buying, I'm only just starting to get more involved with it as shopping for stuff in the stores is getting harder and harder for me with my scoliosis and arthritis in my spine and knees. Does the reseller not have an obligation to return the payment to the purchaser? Do they have the right to keep the money if the purchaser doesn't receive the exact item they ordered? I can see your friend's problem but perhaps she could have insisted on getting her payment back. I know that there would have been pressure to choose an alternative and I agree that this is dis honest and kind of like bait and switch but I am sure it is not legal.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Having worked in retail, this is a usual 'trick' to get the customer to part with money as they know most hate waiting for a refund and would rather get an alternative. It's not only for resellers, but retail everywhere. By paying upfront you guarantee yourself the item, even though no one knows if it will be back in stock.

People can't be forced to have a substitute, unless it says in the small print that you will accept a substitute. Basically you never put down a second option, and then they have to refund you if the item is unavailable. If you state a second option, then you have agreed to a substitute by default.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lovely Babe....We do take a risk each time we order stuff because like your friend found out, it may very well be out of stock. There are no real guarantees. What we are in fact doing is putting faith in these sellers and luckily for me, it's always worked with the retailers I buy from. I would not put down a second option, if I'm being honest. The reason I'm ordering an item is because I want IT, not something else.

It was the same case when we used to order home delivery service shopping. We always had the option to indicate a second option, but I never used that facility at all. The one time we forgot to opt out, we received items that were way too far removed from our usual options, and that cemented my decision not to agree to alternative versions ever.