Bic Lighters

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Zyni • Oct 30, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whatever you might use a lighter for, whether or not you smoke cigarettes, what kind of lighter do you think is the best? I used to always think Bic lighters were the better ones, but they are no longer the same quality that they used to be. They don't always light every single time like they used to, and they run out far faster than they ever did before. I guess it's pretty much expected for things to be of lesser quality than they once were now.

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Any darn lighter that has fuel left and a flint that is still adequate, is good to use! In fact, matches are still great to use to start a flame or burn something. Brands mean nothing to a man or woman, who require use of a tool to aid in their endeavors. Try making a fire from scratch from things found only in a natural environment, and you'll quickly see the self-defeat in liking this brand of lighters over another.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I'm partial to my Zippo, but that isn't so much for quality as it is for the cool factor. I also like that they are refillable, so it feels like I'm being eco-friendlier with it. I don't actually smoke, but I worked for a year in a job where we lived outdoors and were lighting fires on a daily basis. My zippo was a gift from my boyfriend at the time (he's now my husband) and it was a nice little reminder when I was out in the woods that someone loved me.

I still like it and I still use it from time to time. It isn't great for lighting tea-light candles or anything that requires a skinny hand and long reach. But it is still my favorite.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    The Bic lighters here are still very good and I've never run across the problems you are stating. I even sometimes prefer them to Cricket lighters which are supposedly the best. The only thing I like about Cricket more is that their igniter is a lot less abrasive than Bic's but it's not a major issue as Bics are still very dependable.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What are you honestly expecting from disposable lighters like BIC? BIC has a quality edge over other budget disposables, that's for sure. They work and get the job done far more often than they don't. If you're thinking of these lighters as anything comparable to reusable and refillable lighters, then you're mistaken on multiple levels. BIC lighters are fine while being nothing special. That's exactly how they're designed and how most people see them as today.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Disposable lighters are usually all the same. I can't see much difference in them, they are designed to last for a short period of time and that's it. Bic maybe a little more and have other colors and designs, but most people buy them because that's what the store has at the time. It's not an investment purchase and isn't priced as such.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, harsh crowd, lol.

I never said picking up a Bic or two was an "investment," nor was I expecting a disposable lighter to last forever. I just gave my honest opinion for a product review, which is the title of the forum. I feel like the quality used to be better, and I wondered if others had the same experience or preferred a different brand (thanks to those who responded in that vein).

I stick to my review. I don't feel they are the same as they used to be. Many products change over the years, but this is my observation of this particular product.

Have a great day.

#7Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  8. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    Bic is without a doubt one of the less expensive lighters that will work. Cricket has a problem with the striker wheel and some of the other cheapies have problems with the liquid dispersal valve. For what you are buying, Bic is about the best. The other huge problem that all of the cheap lighters have in common is the amount of fluid in the lighter. The store help will grab one, use it, and then put them back in the sale slot.

9. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Bic has definitely gone down in quality. I tend to reach for lighters that are wind or rain proof, like Zippo, and are refillable. I'm thinking of getting one of those new electric lighters to test them out to see how well they do. I'm tired of having to refill the other lighters.

10. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, the quality dropped over the last couple of years and this is a sad thing, that if something is less expensive than other things, then they make it bad quality too. I also like having a BIC lighter with me anywhere I go, especially that I'm a smoker.

11. Bee14

Bee14New Member

Threads:
    Yeah I can agree Bic lighters were much better a few years back but I would prefer them over the cheap .99 cent ones any day.I've had a few bic's last me a long time and I use it on a daily basis.I usually buy a pack of Bic lighters since it is much cheaper.