Bidding Sites. Worth It?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by MiMichelle • Nov 2, 2015.

1. MiMichelle

MiMichelleMember

Threads:
    Bidding Sites like Dealdash, QuiBids, Bidwiz etc. I have used DealDash and have won a few bids with a decent deal but never any big prices items.
    While they can be fun if you are into that sort of thing, I see a lot of people that end up spending more for an item than it's really worth. What I've begun to believe is the secret is if you really want an item you have to commit to buying it after a certain point. With DealDash they have a "buy now" option with it's regular price and if you have been bidding on that item they will give you back all your bids which seems fair.

Have you had any experience with Bidding Sites?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never used bid sites after I heard how sellers drive up prices of items they sell, on Ebay. I believe that similar strategies would be used elsewhere and it's the buyers who will lose out.

Since there's absolutely no reason why I should buy an item at a price a little higher than it's regular cost, I'd prefer to find deals elsewhere. I'm not suggesting that one can't find great deals on such sites, you can but it might take a while.

3. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I have used online auction sites and gotten great deals. One of the main things I look for is free delivery or verify that they are local auction houses before bidding as delivery can change a great deal into a total loss in the blink of the eye. I haven't used the newer bid sites like DealDash because I'm usually in the market for used items that can be refurbished and given new life. Perhaps it would be a valid option for electronics if I researched prices before bidding. I tend to get into the process and I could be one of the ones who goes beyond the retail price if I'm not careful.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been tempted, but there is always small print in these sites. I had a free trial before and it was easy, but you need a good reliable connection and then to focus on the item and keep several windows open. If you do your homework into things it can be worth it. Choosing the best time to bid is crucial and depends on your time zone too.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that some sites may be good to use and others not so much. I am not sure I truly understand any of them really. I am also turned off on the sites where you have to "buy bids" I mean if you don't 'win" the object you are bidding on you are out the money. I guess I might try one sometime if I had a free trial. I prefer a fixed price for objects.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people have got buying from bidding sites down to a fine art, but I'm not one of them. Just from my experience of bidding on eBay, I actually hate it. -and that's the reason I much prefer the 'buy it now' option. I'm usually that person who's confident they'll win the bid until the very last minute when someone swoops in and snatches the item from right under my nose LOL

7. MichelleVL

MichelleVLMember

Threads:
    Honestly I feel a little weary about all those bidding sites. The only one I've tried is eBay, and that is simply because it has such a known name, and have been such a long time in business. The other sites give me a queasy feeling, like if somehow I know that they'll be stealing my personal information, or like it's just a scam. Maybe they are legitimate and I'm just ignorant about them. Until someone that I know doesn't bid through them, then neither will I, unfortunately I don't always trust online reviews.​

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never felt good about bidding. I want to know that I am paying what I feel the item is worth, and not above that price. And when it comes to bidding, you can end up paying a lot more for one item than that item is worth, which is a bit scammy to me. I just want to buy an item. I don't want to have to bid and out bid other people in order to have it.

9. bankbabe

bankbabeNew Member

Threads:
    The biding sites seem too good to be true so I tend to stay away from them because I'm afraid of getting ripped off. Once when I was considering joining DealDash, I found the site a little confusing as to all the instructions and bidding time clocks that seemed to end within a minute that I seemed interested.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Exactly. The bidding thing was the one reason why I stayed away from Ebay for so long, instead paying more expensive prices elsewhere on the internet. I had not know that one could also purchase products from Ebay at the time. I had just thought that one could bid. But once I found out that you could buy directly, I started to use it more.

11. mmug

mmugAdministrator
    Administrator

Threads:
    @

on biding sites you will pay something to bid. For example on DealDash every bid costs 60 cents and must be purchased prior to bidding. Also every auction starts at $0.00 and each bid raises the price by only $0.01.

On Ebay the difference is that you can bid for free and if you win the auction you will pay the bidding price.

12. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I think if you put hours of thought into it, you could work out optimum bidding strategies to find the perfect time, however I would not use them otherwise.

13. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I know that some people have had luck on sites like this, but to be honest I think it's too much of a risk for me, and there's no guarantee that you're going to get anything back for the money that you spend on the "bids". So I think I will carry on looking for bargains but not on sites like this unfortunately.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh! I did not know this at all. Well now that you have clarified that for me, it makes more sense as to why Ebay was so popular for bidding. I still am not fond of the idea of having to bid for an item, especially now that I know that it goes up by so little each time? I feel like I'd be sitting there for hours trying to outbid people who were trying to outbid me. If I want an item, I want it. Getting it for sixty cents would be nice though ;)

15. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I've never used them (except for Ebay) and I have to say I don't think I ever will. I am skeptical about these sites because I feel like there are so many people bidding on an item the chances of actually 'winning it' is very low. I also believe that they charge you every time you make a bid.