Big Bottle Of Juice Vs Small Bottle

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Corzhens • Apr 17, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband drinks Apple or orange juice in the morning but of different brands. The big bottle of apple juice saves me about 20% when I buy the small bottle (2 of which is equivalent to a big bottle). But the orange juice is cheaper in the small bottle because 2 small bottles costs about 10% less than the big bottle with the same content. This is a caveat that a big bottle doesn't automatically give you a discount.

2. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I say buy which ever is cheapest and more convenient for you. I've never really thought that much about juice because I don't think I can save enough of orange juice to make the extra effort worth it, really. But, we all do different things and what works for one person may not work for another.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say I'm the same as Destiny, I don't know if it's enough of a saving for me to keep an eye on the difference in price between the smaller and bigger bottles. BUT I almost always opt for a few of the smaller bottles anyway, because I find if we get the big bottle, it ends up going to waste as we can never finish it, unless we get guests :( So @corzhens, if your observation applies across the board, then I'm very lucky.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Totally agree - buying bigger doesn't necessarily always mean value for money.

In fact they're a very good example of why its always wise to check the unit cost before buying anything - not just juice - particularly as I've found that - even though larger packs are generally promoted as being money savers and do as they are bigger - appear to be that way to the consumer - looks can be deceiving - as more often than not when comparing the contents of a large pack to that of two smaller packs - it actually works out way cheaper to buy two smaller packs than the larger one.

5. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I'd rather buy whichever works out cheapest and wouldn't end up getting wasted as others have said. If I buy a big bottle of soy milk or example, as I'm the only one that drinks it I find it will often get thrown away even though it's cheaper. So I'd rather opt for the more expensive smaller bottles or cartons. With something like orange juice though everyone would drink that so I'd have no problem buying the bigger bottles, unless the smaller ones were cheaper.

6. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I buy huge bottles and only huge bottles. If I can get two at once for less, I will as long as I know I'll drink it. I always prefer bulk prices.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I get the small bottle only because my partner likes to drink it all. He will drink too much juice and I know it is just going spike his blood sugar. Today I hand squeezed some fresh orange juice into the container and made him watch me. I told him, "See how many oranges are going into this juice? Your body is only meant to have a small amount of juice a day!"

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This is why whenever I shop I always try and calculate the content against the price as much as I can. Sometimes I'll have to stand there in the aisles for a few minutes just staring at different packages trying to figure out which it on is the cheapest because I'm not that quick with math but I consider the time spent and the few minutes looking a bit silly to be worth it because from then on I'll know which one will provide the best value for the least amount so I'll always know which one to get. It's worth to take the time to calculate once because if not you may end up costing yourself a few dollars accumulated unnecessarily.

9. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have to agree, calculating unit price is very important and the only way to know for sure if you are getting a good deal. I teach this life skill to my grade 5 students every year. I know many adults who find this a difficult thing to do but I'll even go as far to calculate the price per sheet of toilet paper to make sure I'm getting the best deal. I find generally it is cheaper to buy the larger quantity but if something like chocolate milk goes on sale, it is a far better deal to buy the 1L cartons vs 3L bag.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't purchase the large bottles of juice, we get the frozen juice and reconstitute the juice. I often look at the unit price for a product but I also like at rather or not it is something I will use up before it spoils and has to be thrown out. The larger bottle is not always the best one to purchase.