Big K/ Kmart

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by BrittneyD • Apr 2, 2012.

1. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    Is it just me or has Kmart gone downhill over the years?

I worked at a Kmart during high school. I loved it there and even made supervisor at 17. The stores were always clean and well stocked. It may just be where I live, but it seems like the products they have to offer has decreased over the years. The stores are always understaffed and messy. One day I walked into Kmart and I couldn't even get to the toy aisle to check on something my son was wanting. There were roll carts stocked with merchandise, that should have been put back on the shelves, everywhere. Their prices were not visible, and it was a headache trying to figure out how much something cost. I couldn't even find an employee until I checked out. I don't know, I just feel like they have gone downhill since I used to work there.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think when they went bankrupt several years back, they really declined even more. They were never my favorite, but they were decent, and now I just avoid going if at all possible. Their prices are too high for the same stuff you can get elsewhere and the training workers gets just doesn't seem that great any more.

3. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    K-Mart definitely isn't the same. They were not my favorite, but kind of like Walmart is now-the were the necessary evil back in the day. One thing I noticed with K-Mart is that they never really lowered prices on electronics they had out for a while. Many times you could go to a game store and buy a video game cheaper.

They have gone downhill drastically since they went bankrupt as Jessi said. We have one about 10 minutes away but I was only in it once in the last few years.

4. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    Kmart has been steadily going downhill for years. It's sad because I am old enough to remember when they weren't that bad. There is one particular one where I live that I refuse to go to. The shelves are disheveled and the employees are surly.

5. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I haven't walked into a Kmart in years. Their customer service has declined as well as their availability of hot items. I get a circular weekly from them through the mail and they bombard you with coupons on things that haven't been in style or that have already been sold at other stores for over 2 months! It's like they went back in time. The only thing they still do have which I think WalMart should add is Lay - Away.

6. Collin1000

Collin1000Member

Threads:
    Kmart's gone downhill in just about every way. Customer service has gone downhill for sure, and the selection isn't what it used to be, but the stores themselves.... maybe just in my area, but around here, even the stores are...dirty. There's junk in the asiles, products on the shelves are dusty... it's gross!

7. Lieutenant

LieutenantMember

Threads:
    I believe it has. There used to be a K-mart in my city and it closed years ago. Back then prices were great and selection was amazing. Now the store that is 30 minutes away has garbage products and the prices are not worth the drive. The store is dingy and I never see anyone other than old people shopping there.

8. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I completely agree with you. There are two Kmarts in my area, both of which are dirty, unorganized, and generally have rude employees working. The selection of items available at Kmart has decreased, while the quality of products are cheaper as well.

Kmart used to be a great place to get great deals and find most items I need. Now I rarely shop at Kmart. I end up driving an extra five miles out of my way to be able to find all the items I need, and to be able to get a better quality product for close to the same price Kmart has similar items marked at.

9. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I completely agree with you. There are two Kmarts in my area, both of which are dirty, unorganized, and generally have rude employees working. The selection of items available at Kmart has decreased, while the quality of products are cheaper as well.

Kmart used to be a great place to get great deals and find most items I need. Now I rarely shop at Kmart. I end up driving an extra five miles out of my way to be able to find all the items I need, and to be able to get a better quality product for close to the same price Kmart has similar items marked at.

10. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I would also have to agree that Kmart has really gone downhill over the years. They had a good deal on an item I had been wanting to get for quite awhile so I headed to our local Kmart that I had not gone into for several years. I was shocked at how much it had changed. It was very unclean, the shelves were a mess and the employees were not helpful at all. I was going to get a few items while I was there, but ended up finding the one item on my own and then left as soon as I could. I have not gone back since and don't think I ever will.

11. Christi Harris

Christi HarrisNew Member

Threads:
    Our K-Mart closed down a few years ago when they were going through their bankruptcy. The closest K-mart to me is about an hour away.

12. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I remember their blue light special years ago. I always enjoyed that. Everyone always went running to their blue light special. It was always a busy store back then. They have since gone downhill. We don't even have any K-Marts by our house anymore. They all changed into a Sears Grand and now the Sears Grand are gone as well.

13. daisiesndots

daisiesndotsMember

Threads:
    I never shop at Kmart unless I need something and am too cheap to drive the extra 10-15 mins to go to Walmart. I think that they are over priced and the quality in goods is not as great. Although, sometimes I just need a change of scenery and I will go there but its usually because I am out of something and I need it quickly.

14. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    My local K-mart is going out of business. They've got signs out all over town that their stuff is up to 60% or 70% off. It is kind of sad because that's where I used to shop with my mom when I was little, but they have gone down hill. It's usually my last resort if I'm desperately trying to find something that Target, Wal-Mart, or a grocery/drug store doesn't have. I've also done some last minute Christmas shopping there because everyone else sells out of everything!

15. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    I haven't lived near a K-mart for awhile, but I used to love them. Not because they were better than Wal-mart or Target, but because they weren't nearly as crowded! I guess that reflects their quality, but I enjoyed having the store to myself and flying through the check-out counter. When I was dragging small children and a baby around with me, making quick exits was high on my priority list!

16. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    We only have one Kmart left in town, and I wouldn't shop there if you paid me to. The store is dirty and disorganized, and the prices are not low enough to make a difference. I had to go to one to use an Olan Mills GC that I got as a gift, and it was located in the back of this store. I was horrified just walking through. I'm not surpised it has gone out of business - I don't know why there are any stores at all left.

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I've actually never experienced that. I've been in a store when their blue light special goes off, but everybody ignores it, heh. I guess maybe the specials aren't that great any more and nobody cares?

18. cashorcheck

cashorcheckNew Member

Threads:
    The company is slowly coming in for a gentle landing; the company holding it would take to big a financial hit by closing them abruptly. Not to mention the goodwill it will keep by letting it die a slow death, rather than shooting it in the head; it had been an American Icon. So yeah, things are winding down before the blue light goes out forever

19. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer Target over K-mart any day. I went in a K-mart and it just wasn't a good experience. The customer service is poor as you pointed out most of the employees were teens, who didn't know the store layout. I'm sure that company will be out of business soon.

20. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    We have only two Kmarts in my area, which I usually don't go to, but I've never had an unpleasant experience at either one. They're not dirty (or at least not dirtier than one would expect) and they're fairly well stocked. But then again, I'm not much of a department store shopper anyway. Where I live, everyone goes to the 99cent store for everything.