Big Or Small Car?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by TheKnight • Dec 18, 2016.

1. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    A small car is easier to drive around for beginners because you can fit in tight places. Also, sometimes, when your seat is too high, you can't really see what's in front of you but with a small car, you can.

A bigger car is least dangerous in cases of a car crash. If you crash, you're less likely to go flying because it's heavier while with the smaller car, you're most likely to be crushed by bigger ones. They're also roomier.

Which do you prefer and why?

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer small car for the reasons that you have already mentioned and the fact that it is less conspicuous.

I am a person who doesn't prefer much public attention so that's fine with me.

I would prefer a bigger car for onger road trips and for group travelling of course for obvious reasons.

3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I have also heard that larger cars can withstand more usage and more abuse such as going uphill or driving on rough terrain. I think this is because of the larger wheels.

I actually prefer smaller cars for everyday use and especially when driving around limited parking areas. With a small car, you can easily fit into narrow parking areas where people usually park horrendously.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have 2 cars at present, one small with an engine of 1200 cc and an SUV with an engine of 2300. You will notice that the big car is almost double that of the small car. In that respect, you can guess that our every day car is the small one since it is much cheaper in fuel consumption. Besides, there are only 2 of us – my wife and me – so the capacity is not an issue. But we use our SUV for long trips and also when we go to the supermarket especially when the grocery list is long.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I really like to a car of my own but I have never ever had a chance to get one. Well, I am aspiring to have it when I receive my retirement pay sooner or later. Well, by experience riding in a car, I would prefer to ride on a big car for it is likely more secured compared to the small one.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I want a car that's energy efficient with all the fill ups locally that's free I'd like an electric medium car. Medium because you'll get your power to get up and go, plus, you got room for some carting. If you like to go camping and other outdoors you should get big with 4 wheel drives. If you're a city person get a small or medium car because city driving isn't all that complex driving to parking stalls, shopping malls or supermarket or parks easy parking situations. Ford Fiesta parks itself, so Iike this car a lot and it's electric I believe.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    A larger car might be a necessity for a large family. In that case, it would cost more, but the situation would justify the extra money. However, one could carry members of a family by a few at a time. For instance, a family of 8 could pick up three in one trip, and then go get another three etc. Nonetheless, all of the extra gas used might add up to the same used by a bigger car on one trip. :)

However, it might be wise to have a small and large car to avoid the problem altogether. One would be used for small trips and the other for longer trips or ones where more family members have to be carried at one time.

Finally, I think the van or mini-van are popular substitutes for a large car. However, their gas usage is even beyond a big car.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We are a small family so I think a mid sized sedan is the best choice for us. I have a Hyundai i20 which suits my budget besides being fuel efficient it serves my purpose perfectly. I have stopped taking it to my work mostly due to traffic conditions so I use it for long drives and outings with my family. I am enjoying my car for its technical features.

9. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I feel much safer in a bigger car so I prefer that. I like the fact that I can take my family with me since it's roomier. Besides I am used to driving a van more since that's the type of car I used to learn driving. When on the road I feel that I will get crushed by all the big trucks when driving a smaller car.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @kamai@kamai Even I prefer a bigger car because it is safer and has better facilities but given the kind of conditions that we have in our part of the world, the smaller the better. I prefer not to drive in city area because what the distance I can cover on motorbike will take me almost double or even triple on my mid sized car and if I were to drive a bigger car then I am sure I am not going to make it to my destination within time.

11. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I understand your dilema, I have seen that happen in many places where there is always too much traffic and not much room to drive in. It does get kind of crazy here too but more streets are getting widen since there are so many buses now. I guess that's why I see most people using a motorcyle to cut through traffic lines.

12. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Very true. It actually depends on factors like size of your family and for what you are going to use the car. For a family of 4-5 members I think a medium sized car is more than enough. Moreover, smaller cars are fuel efficient and also easy to maneuver. But one of the drawbacks of smaller car is that in case of collision with a bigger vehicle it could be badly hit . But nowadays there are many facilities like air bags, ABS and many other things to reduce chances of accidents. However, it all depends on how responsible we are while driving.

I have a medium sized car which is fit for my family. I also use it while going for long trips and it never gave any issues. I maintain it very well with timely servicing, oil change and other things to keep it fit and fine.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually the problem with us is that most of our youngsters do not follow traffic rules and always try to overtake others from right and left without consideration for others. That always results in traffic jams which is intensified by lousy handling of our traffic police.

14. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I go for small car. A bi car eats more fuel. More fuel means spending more money. A small eats less fuel and less fuel means saving money on fuel. If you are consuming less fuel, you are also saving fossil fuel and preserving the environment.

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure what it is but I just feel strange is the really large cars and it affects my driving ability. I am all shaky and all over the road. I just prefer the small cars, and always have.

16. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    @Binu@Binu That's true and most larger cars require the more expensive options of fuel out of the usual three choices apart from consuming more fuel. Larger cars do seem to last longer on rougher terrain, though and seem to have more power. Small car for every-day use and big cars for long journeys on rough terrain is good.

#16Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2017