Bigger Pack Better Value - Not Always

Discussion in Misc & Others started by gata montes • Sep 15, 2015.

1. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Checking the unit cost is yet another way of saving money and particularly so when it comes to groceries.

In fact much as my preference is to buy larger packs rather than lots of smaller packs when grocery shopping - as I like to know that I'm getting value for money I always check the unit cost before buying - particularly as I've found that - although larger packs are generally promoted as money savers and as they are bigger do appear to the consumer to be that way - looks can be deceiving - as buying bigger isn't necessarily always cheaper - for example - when you compare the contents of a large pack that contains 350 grams to two smaller packs each containing 200 grams - which when bought together come to the same price as the larger pack - its actually way cheaper to buy two smaller packs than the larger one - especially as you are getting 50 grams more for the same money.

So what about you - is this something that you do too when looking to get value for money ?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it is helpful to look at the unit cost of items prior to purchase. Also, retailers like Costco it is helpful to read beforehand what is a good buy there and what is not. Certain things are useful to buy there and others are overpriced It really depends on the particular item. However, most stores are like this. There are items that are good to buy there, and others that are not. Don't be deceived by sales signs, and know how much an item's unit cost is prior to purchase.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest I've when I buy bigger packets I don't bother to take a look at the prices of the smaller packets because I believe that I'll be automatically saving some money by buying the bigger packet. Next time I'm at the stores, I'll compare prices [of the smaller and bigger packets] and see which of the options will save me more money.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never thought of that, you are actually quite observant. I always thought that the bigger pack will always save you more money and I just compare them with the products of the same size and packaging. When I shop next time I will now compare the content amount of each package.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My mom taught me to look out for the unit prices if the shop prints them out. So I’ve noticed over the years that it’s true, sometimes the bigger packets are a bit of a ripoff. It’s also especially tricky when a shop doesn’t print their unit prices and you have to do the math yourself. I’m convinced that’s how they get a lot of people to part with extra money; many won’t want to bother calculating and comparing the costs. Hey, gotta make a profit somehow. So I’m glad I was taught from a very early age to keep an eye out for retailer’s tricks.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @gata montes@gata montes, you're absolutely right! I used to just go off the promotion and would grab the larger pack being sold as a money saver. Well, that had to be scaled right back when money became very, very tight because I started calculating every little amount I spend down to the last penny. I was very shocked to discover exactly what you just pointed out! Now I know not to be led solely by promotions and big sizes. It's all just a cleverly put together marketing ploy, and this realisation has saved me a lot of money in recent months.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I always try and calculate the price against the amount listed and I try to weigh those options against the quality of the value packs and I try to see if the sacrifice in quality would be worth it. For some items like paper towels, I won't really mind lower quality since they will still do pretty much the same job, so in cases like this all I have to worry about is the price and the value I'm getting for the money I'm paying. You are right that often times it only seems like we are getting a good price so it really is important to calculate and compare.

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Living alone makes me put extra attention to packing size versus pricing because while a large packing/presentation might be too much for my needs, it depends on the item making the right decision.

In example, mayonnaise is something that I use on a regular basis and generously, hence makes no sense to buy small jars when a large bucket can make save money and time, since I don't need to run for another jar if it's over before the expected.

Even though, comparing the quantity of the small-sized item against the large one is absolutely necessary because the deal might not be any money-saver. For instance, I found that and instant coffee brand (which is another staple in my shopping list) comes in a large Money-saving aluminium pack, but if you compare the content of this with the content of the small jars, buying the same coffee quantity in jars is more convenient and yet you can reuse or recycle the glass jars, as opposed to the aluminium wrap f the most costly presentation.