Bike Commuting

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Gelsemium • Feb 26, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Recently I've restarted to ride my bike and let me tell you I missed it a lot! Instead of using the car when I need to go somewhere on my own, I just grab the bike and it's an awesome feeling to do it. :) Anyone doing the same?

2. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I have no bike here and the town that I am working in is not exactly bike friendly. I wanted to go to the nearest mall on a bike and then tour around the place. There are bike shops around the town, but no place to lock my bike on to. If there was, I would consider going around on it.

It does save money and is faster than walking. However, for now I will stick to walking a bit.

3. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    I always ride the bike, I don't even own a car! Keeps you in shape a bit more than the car, wakes you up in the morning and no money spent on petrol. Not to mention when they break it's easy to fix yourself or cheap to get someone else to do it.
    If you can't tell I love bikes.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I do own a car, but I prefer bikes and I ride mine whenever I can. I am training my kids so that we can all ride, but so far I am still training my younger one, he's just 5... :)

5. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    Count me in. I have been commuting recently to save money and serve as my daily physical activity also. I'm lucky because we live relatively away from the city and my ride home is relaxing and refreshing because of the nature. What I don't like is my ride going to work because of the city's traffic and pollution. I get so haggard when arriving at work that everyone just comments on it. I don't do it on a daily basis because of this, but it doesn't stop me from looking forward on my commuting days.

6. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    My local area is an absolute nightmare for bike riding. Due to this most commuters either catch public transport or drive, little to no bike lines and most drivers just have absolute no care to watch out for cyclists. You've got to presume you're invisible to them to be truly safe.

7. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    I'm quite lucky as where I live has dedicated cycle lanes. Without these I don't know if I would dare cycling in amongst the traffic. I wouldn't like to have a collision. Riders always come off second best.
    Safety must be considered first, I think. So either a very sturdy helmet is the answer, or save cycling for recreation time.

8. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends a lot on location. Some places have bicycle parks and lanes which make cycling a simple and attractive means of commutes. Without dedicated bicycle lanes it's much more dangerous to cycle on the road or on the sidewalk due to accidents with other road users or pedestrians.

9. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Me! I recently got some money and I fixed up my bike, and can I tell you..I am now riding every day for the week, lol, I really missed it when I stop and think of it. Also, I'm thinking of buying a faster bike, lol, I like anything that is very speedy. Bikes to the world!

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I know that feeling because the exact same thing happened to me, I stopped for some years and now that I've restarted I wonder how could I've so long without riding? It's great. :)

11. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a bike yet, but I plan to get one soon. Several friends and family members ride bikes and have told me how great it is. Now all this conversation is confirming it and inspiring me even more. The place I live is a match and I can relax and ride, and enjoy nature too! I see the bike gives you that get up and go factor too.

12. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I used to love riding my bike, have not been on a bike in years, don't even currently own one. The only time I ride is if I go to the gym and get on a stationary bike, and that doesn't happen often, and probably doesn't even count as far as real bike riding goes, lol.

I have been thinking about getting a bike, I need to get two actually. One of my dreams is to own a house where the back yard is big enough to ride a bike around in. Lovely.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Sometimes I wish I lived further away from my job so that I could come here with the bike. LOL, no, but I do wish I could ride more often because the body breathes better after some miles ride.

14. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a walker. I'll walk where ever I can rather than use public transport, not only does it save me quite a bit of money every month, but it is also good for me and gives me much needed exercise.

I'm all for people using bikes instead of cars and public transport. I just wish more cyclists were more considerate to us walkers.

One of my favourite places to walk is along the local canal. In the UK canal tow paths (foot paths along the canals) are meant for walkers, but because of the recent rise of cycling they allow cyclists to use them, but pedestrians have first priority at all times. Most cyclists don't realise this and race up and down the tow paths like it is their own private route and get very angry and aggressive when walkers gets in the way.

I've personally pushed two cyclists into the canal for almost hitting me while racing along.

15. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to get back into riding my bike. Where I live, the bike lanes aren't really that safe and there are a lot of motorists that have a grudge on cyclists. I don't want to be on the receiving end of a fender bender while on a bike. If there were stricter laws for cyclists and motorists alike, maybe.

16. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    It is the small percent who give cyclists a bad name to drivers. The cyclists who don't believe that stop signs apply to them, the cyclists who weave in and out of traffic at high speeds, etc.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    @TommyVercetti@TommyVercetti that is the issue with my wife too, she is really afraid of the roads, so I can't take her away from home. I've started with my kids, so maybe now she loses the fear and starts riding more.

18. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind going around the neighborhood or in a cul-de-sac but since we are talking about commuting I'll assume that you mean the main roads, on the way to work. I have that fear too, to be honest. I don't know about your wife but I've gotten used to the security of being inside a car, you know? I feel like when I ride a bike and an SUV or a pickup is nearby, I get nervous.

Anyway, happy riding and stay safe out there!

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this when I only have to go a short distance. Usually I just do this whenever I have to buy something or run some errands around my neighborhood, but honestly I usually just drive because it's way more comfortable for me to do so. For exercise I prefer to just walk and I don't really like riding bikes all that much though sometimes it is more practical or preferable especially when I don't feel like driving or walking.

20. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't possessed a car for a number of years now. I love riding my bike to work, and on weekends I enjoy cycling in the countryside. In the past I had an electric bike, as well as a mountain bike. But these days, since I live in different part of the world now, I am happy with my lady's cruising bike. :)
    I don't feel well if I am not able to ride my bike for a few days. It's an essential part of my life.