Birthday Cake

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Aug 30, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to make my own birthday cakes, and actually make them for friends and family as well. I find that you can make them much more cheaply than you can buy them, and you can personalise them a lot more. Even buying a plain cake from the store can easily be personalised to the recipients tastes, but I find that this can be much more expensive than making it myself and feels less personal. Buying premade cakes complete with design isn't something I'd ever do though as I don't feel that they're worth the money.

Do you buy birthday cakes from the store or make your own?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have done both actually. My home baking talents can't really compete with some of the beautiful bought cakes, but I have made cakes at home before and presented them for birthdays. I made and at home chocolate cake from scratch one time, for a birthday,,it left something to be desired, but I guess if you do it often enough you can perfect the cakes, and it is more personal that store bought cake, and of course it often is less expensive.

3. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    I usually make my own, but not from scratch most of the time. I find that it still tastes better. Nowadays, stores like Michael's have great cake decorating kits so I can have a good time personalizing them and still save money. Michael's has a daily coupon email and as there is one withing walking distance of my apartment, I can use the daily percent off coupon for one thing at a time until I have everything that is needed. I know that may not be convenient for everyone, but a little planning ahead and stopping by on existing errands can really make a difference!

4. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Well, buying something ready made is purely just for convenience. Now, I'm no artistic person so you won't catch me making a fancy cake. More than likely I will put a order in for one to be made for me. Hey, why make a sloppy cake when I can buy a delicious one?

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really envy you guys because I just can't bake to save my life :( I totally agree, being able to make your own would not only mean you have a more delicious cake, it would save a lot of money too. What's more, if you have that skill, you know exactly what's going in the cake, and you can tailor make it to the specific person for whom you're making it. Like cocolgooh says, it's also very personal, making it so much more special. Maybe cake making is something I can revisit some day.

6. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I always make my cakes, I actually just got done making a wedding cake a few weeks ago for my brothers wedding. However I find making birthday cakes to be very cheap and I don't think I will ever by a birthday cake personally. I love baking and decorating. I really wish I had reasons to make more of them but since it is just me and my husband I only get to make it once a year usually. This is the picture of the cake I made my husband last year for his birthday, chocolate "bare" cake with thick peanut butter cream cheese frosting in between the layers. My husband is really into doctor who, so I made the little stencil and placed it on the cake and sprinkled powder sugar, removed the stencil so it looks like the police box is traveling in space. I wanted a simple cake, I also make the ring box (i got him a doctor who inspired wedding ring) out of cardboard, and painted it to look like the police box.
    12309942_10207564306204201_6762938263827059496_o.12314339_10207564306284203_8888679575866736061_o.

7. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    That cake is simple and very pretty - plus it looks like it tastes delicious!

I also like to do cupcakes on a tiered cake platter, with each layer being a different flavor and I alternate the icing color and other decorations. I find that this always goes over well in a group setting, as people seem to be fond of having options as far as flavors, and there is something quite charming to the way cupcakes look!

8. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't have the time or talent to bake a cake by myself. The extra money is the work that goes into the cake. We're basically paying for their work which is fine by me. If I ever make a cake, it would be a mediocre mess so I prefer spending a bit extra for a cake I know Ill like.