Birthday Treats Besides Cake

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Jul 7, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What if you have a family member or friend who just doesn't like cake? I personally enjoy cake, but not everyone does. So, you don't want to make that person a birthday cake, if they aren't going to enjoy it. What are some other good ideas for treats? I've tried making an ice cream cake (that had no actual cake in it, just looked like one). I've also made a huge cookie. Does anyone else have some fun ideas to share?

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy brownies myself, both to bake and to eat. They're pretty versatile, too; you can frost them, make them into ice cream sandwiches, experiment with extras, pair them with fruits, etc. Along these lines, I think a mud pie would be great as well. And popsicles are great for birthdays during warm weather.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, that is a great idea @LeopardJones@LeopardJones. Why didn't I think of brownies? lol They would be perfect, especially for who I'm thinking of. She loves chocolate. Frosting them would make them so simple to decorate too. I could write her name on top just like with a cake. Of course, they have to be the ooey-gooey brownies, not the cake-like, fluffy ones. :)

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    We've done cheesecake before, too. And another year, I did smores brownies for a friend of mine who doesn't like cake at all.

5. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    Brownies ARE a fabulous idea, especially if that person likes chocolate.
    My dad loves Pecan Pie so I made him two one year- one to share at his birthday dinner and one to take home for himself!
    Other ideas are cheesecake (even "write" happy birthday on it with chocolate or berry glaze!), a tower of fudge or cookies, a candy bouquet (check pinterest for tons of ideas on those!) or even a pizza that could be decorated with the toppings!
    I don't know if you have ever seen "diaper cakes" for baby showers but they are so COOL! If you wanted to give a cake as a gift or especially as a centerpiece, something like that could be awesome if you aren't just wanting a dessert! I've seen them done with wash clothes, hand towels, socks, fabric napkins... endless possiblities!

6. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I usually have cheesecake on my birthday because I am not a big cake eater but I do enjoy a good cheesecake. You could make cupcakes because sometimes people prefer them because they are much smaller then having to eat a slice of cake. Also, any types of pies are nice for a birthday treat. A nice fruits salad would be a great idea. I seen one where you use watermelon as the cake and frost it with whipped cream and top with a variety of berries and fruit. I haven't tried it but it looked really good and great for people who just aren't into cake.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For birthdays, it is the usual cake and ice cream. But if the celebrant doesn't like cake, perhaps fruit salad or any other special dessert would do. Come to think of it, some in my family do not relish cake although they still enjoy the party because there are other dishes available. Besides, ice cream is okay with them.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone! I guess I could make an ice cream cake as well.

I have actually made a diaper cake for my oldest daughter's baby shower. I was so happy with the way it turned out. I've actually considered making a similar design, but using the person's favorite candy bars to build the cake (instead of diapers and whatnot), so thanks for that. I may give that a try as well, but I'm kind of leaning towards brownies. I might have my daughter make them though. She makes the most delicious brownies from scratch that I've ever had. It's her mom in laws family recipe. Mmmm.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a few people in my family that do not like chocolate so brownies, as much as I love them are not the favorite. We do a big cookie, a big ice cream float is a favorite one for the younger kids.

10. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    I'm not a huge fan of cake either. My parents got me a lot of pies growing up and I always loved that. One year my friend got me a huge wheel of goat cheese instead of a cake and it was so funny and thoughtful because I love cheese! Cheesecake is another good choice :) or making a "cake" out of their favorite snack foods and drinks.

11. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    Hahaha! Wheel of goat cheese! It sounds so funny but it really is thoughtful!
    I have considered doing something like that with sausage and cheese before for my boyfriend. A man food cake. LOL

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever there is a birthday in our household, which is seems like there always is, since there are like six people living in this house, there always seems to be a birthday party or celebration happening here. Besides cakes, what we usually do is spread the table with nibbles, crisps, sweets, chocolate, and gummy sweets. Then we bring out the cake after.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At one office I worked in, since people usually celebrate at home with birthday cakes, we'd celebrate birthdays with fruit tarts. It was a nice change, even though I love cake, because I knew I'd have cake elsewhere, and the fresh fruit was healthy, plus the tart itself was delicious.

Attached Files:

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I ended up going with the brownies idea for one birthday treat. It went over very well. I ended up making mocha brownies, since the person in question loves those chocolaty mocha drinks.

For the next one, which is coming up, I'm going to go with cheesecake. I don't know why I never thought of these. They are just perfect ideas, so thanks everyone.

The fruit tart also looks and sounds great. I wouldn't mind one of those on my birthday. :)

15. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The fruit tarts are good for pretty much any occasion. Although there is sugar in it, I figure at least it has some fruit, as well ;). Everything mentioned here sounds yummy, so I'm sure any of them would be well received. I particularly like the idea of the tart, brownies, etc., if you're having cake in one setting, so you can experience more than one type of treat, rather than cake over and over.

16. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I haven’t encountered anyone who doesn’t like cake, but if ever there was in my family or friend who won’t like it for their birthday, and then I can bring them other desserts like doughnuts, ice cream, cookies, brownies, or candies. I went to a party once and the celebrant was on a strict diet and she did not want any sweets, especially cake so a friend brought her a mixed fresh fruit bowl and it was delicious. I think any dessert would be a good alternative for cake, as long as we know what the person wants and also it has to be delicious.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too am not very big on all cake, as I have very specific taste. I love chocolate cake and black forest gateau, and prefer frosting over icing. BUT I do have to say that idea of the fruit tart is fantastic. I think what I might do in future is offer cake as well as a fruit tart for those who are watching their diet. I like that it's lighter, not as sweet and is more than likely less calorific :) Thanks Diane Lane!

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm one of those people who doesn't like cake that much. I will eat some and I'd maybe eat a bit more if it was particularly good cake but I wouldn't seek it out. On my birthdays usually the cake I'm given goes to someone else, usually the kids in the family because they go crazy over sugar. As an alternative, I admittedly am not too fond of sweets so they are all the same to me, but I imagine I'd probably enjoy cupcakes, brownies, cookies, or cheesecakes as alternatives. Ice cream is also a very welcome option for me.

19. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Maybe it's a good idea to ask what instead of cake the birthday person would like for their birthday would help. One thing that comes to mind if the birthday person likes jello is a jello layered pie which is very tedious to make. How about a Strawberry Jello Pie? Or some kind fruit pie the birthday person loves. Good luck!

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of a person who doesn't like cake. Is it a textural thing? Or do they not like it because they consider it too fat and unhealthy with all the oil, butter and frosting? Or maybe they just don't like all the heavy frosting you often see on professionally decorated cakes?

Pies I think would be the next logical choice, especially since you can make so many different types of filling for them ranging from really rich stuff like a pecan pie to something healthier (relatively speaking) like a fresh fruit pie or a pumpkin pie. Individual tarts would be fun too, plus you can make a variety of them in case there are other picky eaters too.

Or what about going fancier and making a tray of assorted deserts? Things like cannoli's, individual chocolate mousse's, a variety of chocolate truffles, etc...