Black Bean Burgers

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Ke Gordon • Sep 3, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Has anyone ever had these? I have had the frozen meatless variety by Morning Star, but I saw Ree Drummond aka the "Pioneer Woman" make them out of canned beans on the Food Network. I think I am going to try them. She said they taste like beef. I also think the mixture could be used with hamburger as a meat extender to save money.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I've never tasted one, but it sure sounds interesting! I know they do a spicy bean type burger at Nandos that a vegan friends tells me is delicious. Ever since I heard of it, I've wanted to taste it, but each time I go in I order my usual LOL I must be a creature of habit! But I will have it one of these days.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve made my own black bean burgers and I really like them. But what usually happens is I get too lazy to shape them into patties, so I just kind of treat the bean mix like ground meat. Tastes just as delicious with less work. I find it extra tasty with salsa and/or a bit of hot sauce.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm probably the one vegan that has never tried any of the bean recipes out there. I'm going to get kicked out of the club lol. I do have a million burger recipes though and quite a few have beans.. I just hate beans so much lol. My taste buds have changed to the point of loving healthful foods I despised all my life though, so I've gotten brave and purchased the beans. Now the bravery to actually break down and use them lol. The burgers are first on my list (I won't touch the store bought stuff.. I'm a health nut)

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have made my own black bean burgers and chickpea burgers. They do not taste like ground beef to me but they are ok. I try to eat meatless meals two-three times a week, more than just a salad and the burgers have been a good choice. I make several at a time and freeze them for later.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I love the Morning Star black bean burgers - in particular the 1/4 lb ones they sell at Costco and Sams Club, which have chipotle in them. They're big and substantial unlike many other frozen veggie patties, and are great as a burger. I actually prefer them over real beef burgers on most occasions, since they aren't so greasy and fatty.

However I've never found a home made recipe for black bean burgers that I've liked. Most of them either had little to no flavor, but more importantly, they don't seem to hold together well. They don't have much chew or texture to them either, it's like your just biting into a bun with some bean paste smeared inside it.

I don't know what Morning Star does to make theirs firm like a real burger patty, but it's not something I've ever been able to re-create at home. I'm wondering if perhaps they dehydrate them a bit first after forming them into patties.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I am amazed at what you can make with black beans. My friend just made black bean brownies. No flour in it and the main ingredient was black beans. It has 4 eggs, black beans, cocoa powder, vanilla, melted butter and brown sugar. It's easy to make and delicious. Just put everything into the food processor, combine and then bake. I'm sure the black bean burgers would be just a good. Black beans are so healthy for you. They are loaded with fibre, magnesium, and antioxidants.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @purplepen88@purplepen88 I used to love making black bean brownies as well! It’s been a while, though. I think the reason I stopped was because of a nickname they gained… fart factory brownies :D They were great, though. Tasty and comparatively healthy.

9. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen recipes about black bean burgers and I've always been interested in making them. Never got around to actually trying out a recipe but from what I heard it is very easy to make. Heck, it may even replace meat to some degree for me.

10. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve tried MorningStar black burgers. However like many other pre-made black burgers I find them to be too salty. They upset my stomach after eating them.

I recently tried making my own and they came out pretty good. You can easily google recipes online. I just put black beans, a little breadcrumbs, egg, peppers, onion, corn and cilantro in a food processor and rolled them into patties. I make a lot at a time so I can freeze them.

11. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I have and although not the commercially made ones - but home-made ones - as black bean, mixed bean, chickpea and lentil burgers are one of my favorites and therefore something I make a lot of - I can highly recommend trying them if you haven't already.

Especially as - not only are they extremely tasty and real easy to make - but as they go well with almost any other food and can be served in so many different ways - either hot or cold - as a filling for a bun or baguette, or with seasonal vegetables - either steamed, grated or roasted, any kind of salad or with french fries - they are an ideal choice - if looking for a healthy substantial meal that costs very little to make.