Black soap?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by brittanyt28 • Jun 5, 2013.

1. brittanyt28

brittanyt28Member

Threads:
    Has anyone ever tried black soap. I was thinking of someday buying some off of eBay, but I'm a little nervous to do that. I want the raw, real stuff, and I'm afraid I won't know what I'm getting.
    I have heard that this soap is great for your skin, acne, and even gentle enough for babies. Does anyone have any experience with it?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do love black soap, but I would be careful with buying it on Ebay. There's lots of people out there just using dye and saying what you want to hear. As for the real deal, it's the best soap I've used. It cleans very well, you will actually notice a difference and it rinses off completely.. something I didn't realize my store bought soaps weren't doing very well until I started using black; it doesn't leave a film, which will lend to skin issues for the sensitive types. I definitely recommend it.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Black soap is absolutely incredible! I wouldn't buy it off ebay though unless you were buying a brand you trust from a vendor you know is legit. For example, they sell Dr. Woods in pharmacies; if you see that on ebay you'll be fine.

4. brittanyt28

brittanyt28Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the information. I will be buying some at the pharmacy next time I go. I will definitely give it a try.

5. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    At first i read the thread name as black soup and got confused, but after seeing black soap, i was even more confused, so i had to research.
    Never heard of it, but this seems one of those items that it's better to just buy in one of those nature stores, right?

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had never heard of this before, but when I Googled it I came across this unfortunately named brand of it, lol...

In all seriousness, it does sound like it would smell quite nice, with the plaintains. I will have to keep an eye out for this in the store and give it a try.

7. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Actually the best place to buy it is at an African market, but not every community will necessarily have one. In my city there are neighborhoods where you can find vendors selling black soap, raw shea and cocoa butter, scented oils, incense, beads, etc on the street. If you live in a small town that isn't very diverse, you might not have this available.

8. sharjeel

sharjeelBanned

Threads:
    Yes, and several types. They come in different colors though.I got one as a gift many years ago. It was black in color and had oats in it. Smells good and is good for the skin.

The ones I have acquired have been from West-Afrika (typically The Gambia).

Give it a try, I'm sure you wouldn|t hate it (the smell isn't so earthy that it will bother you, and sometimes they are scented). Point is that it is (should be) a 98-100% natural product so it will be good for you.

Might want to ask the supplier who made it and what the makers/farmer got in terms of conditions (fair trade etc).

#8Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  9. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I love black soap, I especially love the liquid black soap that is sold at whole foods.

10. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    This is funny, I've never heard of black soap. What's in it and what makes it better than other soap? Is it actually the color black or is it just called that for a specific reason?

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Never heard of it but seems like it would be really good to try.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard of black soap yet, but I googled it and they have varying prices. So I'm assuming that the cheaper it is, then it's a telltale sign that it's fake?

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The answer is in the ingredients list, not the price. Some people still price fairly believe it or not lol. Also make sure there are no dyes.. I've seen black soap that was just dyed that colour.

14. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I love African black soap. When I had acne I would use it. It cleared up my skin within too weeks. Any acne scars I had from the acne were gone in about 3 months from using it twice a day. I would let it sit on my skin for a couple minutes before rinsing it off. I got mine from Target, though I don't think it was 100% pure. It still worked, though. Be careful when buying it. There are a lot of fakes out there.

15. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I currently use organic bar soap for my face, chest, and back and it has benefited me quite well! The brand that I use is Shea Moisture African Black Soap. They offer two kinds: Organic and Non-Organic (doesn't have harsh chemicals.) I've tried both, but the non-organic version left my face too dry, so I switched. Please try the Shea Moisture brand! You can purchase it at Target, Walmart etc. for $4-$5 and the bars last a really long time!

16. Dylansmom

DylansmomNew Member

Threads:
    Yea, this stuff sounds good. I may have to try it out.