Blockbuster, Netflix or Buy?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Sampson • Jul 15, 2012.

1. Sampson

SampsonNew Member

Threads:
    What do people think is the best value for money when watching films (I'm omitting cinema)? I used to use Netflix, £6 a month, ample selection of films and tv programmes to watch. But I found I'd watched most worth while things pretty quickly and the store in the UK wasn't as diverse as the one in the US, so I cancelled my subscription this month. I was recommended to go to Blockbuster, could be worth it and the releases are usually pretty recent, but I can see myself falling out the habit of going regularly and having the membership going to waste. The other option is just to buy the film/tv programme that I want to watch; this is probably the cheapest with films, but boxsets can be pretty expensive!

So what do the users on this forum do?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    For the amount of movies that I watch, I would either go with the single rent as it is an occasional thing or see what is the cheaper rate on a yearly basis. I've been known to go through periods where I watch a bunch of movies at a time and then nothing. So, if Blockbuster is a one time thing and it equals out to being cheaper over the year, go that route.

I wouldn't buy a bunch of movies that I have no real desire to keep.

3. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    Blockbuster or Redbox is what I use. I don't watch movies that often so I have no reason to buy a bunch of them that I'll just stow away for years to come. I'd rather pay $4 to rent once than $25 to keep for no reason.

4. QuatreHiead

QuatreHieadMember

Threads:
    Also, can't you do an on demand option for Blockbuster? This may be quite beneficial if you have a method of using it.
    Here it's discussed a bit more if you're interested:

I also think that there was a way to have them send you the movies in the mail similar to Netflix program. I don't know how many movies they really have available through the service, but you can probably get an idea based on what new releases are already available right now.

5. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I've used both Netflix and Blockbuster. It is really a toss up. I like the on demand movies rather than getting movies by mail, although not every movie is available for on demand viewing. I suppose if I wanted to pay a bit more, I would probably have both Netflix and Blockbuster on demand accounts because they carry different movies. You could find some free trials for both companies I think, with a little bit of research. Try them both and see what you think.

6. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes watch Netflix, but it's not like I'm glued to the TV. I don't mess with Blockbuster at all because they don't have quality merchandise. I went there numerous times before, and the DVD's are all scratched. I watch satellite TV when I'm bored, but I don't watch that very often. Every person is different, but for me I would choose satellite. There's not much to watch, but I do catch some interesting programming.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big movie watcher. If I'm interested in a movie, I will buy it. If I really like, I will keep it. If it stinks or just an okay movie, I'll give it away so sell it for a buck or two.

I'm really into watching old television shows that I miss or didn't get to watch. I use Netflix for that. I love Netflix.

8. Devamma

DevammaNew Member

Threads:
    I wish I could go to blockbuster - unfortunately, most BB's in the US are either bankrupt or too far to get to conveniently, due to the dwindling number of stores. Netflix, like you said, has limited choices. In all honesty, I prefer Redbox too, just because they always have the latest movies, and it's so cheap. Apart from Netflix, there isn't anything much cheaper, and Netflix generally doesn't have the latest movies on there.

9. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I have Netflix. It was free for the first month then only 7.99 to stream to my Wii. I don't have the option to have dvds sent to my home. That costs a bit more.

10. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I would rather watch movies off of Netflix than buy it. The things I like about Netflix is that you can stream videos, and the price is cheap for only $7.99. I also like to watch TV shows on Hulu Plus.

11. Shamarv8

Shamarv8Member

Threads:
    I choose Netflix's because you're simply getting more bang for your buck. Since Netflix is the only cross-platform movie streaming service, (that I know of), and it only cost 8 bucks a month, the streaming service that is. The streaming and dvd rental plan starts at $15 dollars a month which also isn't bad compared to the competition. Netflix is not without it's flaws though. Their random removal of movies and programs can grow tiresome especially if it's an item that you've had in your instant queue. Also, the time in which it takes them to update television shows, or add seasons to be more specific, can be somewhat of a deterrent to potential subscribers.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't watch a lot of movies. I never rent from Blockbuster, but will rent from other local shops instead that are much cheaper. If I'm doing it online, I will often check Hulu and ProjectFreeTV before I check a paid service. I believe iTunes and Amazon also let you rent single digital copies, too.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was using Netflix and Hulu Plus, but I ditched Hulu Plus because their selection was poor (many of the shows they have are just short clips of the show not the full show, even with Plus) and they still make you watch commercials when you're a paying subscriber, which is ridiculous. Netflix tends to have the movies I'm looking for most of the time, but they do sometimes get rid of movies that they once had, and there have been some complaints about them censoring their movies.

14. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy a lot but I stopped because of all the space and money it costs. I have Netflix for shows and some movies but we will use Redbox just about every weekend. When a new movie hits we get it and it only costs a buck. Netflix has a lot of shows and some okay movies so we can always find something on there.

15. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I forgot Blockbuster even existed. But I prefer Netflix over all of them. They have a more better selection of TV shows and some movies I like. Hulu was a waste of money, they don't have anything good.

16. murbiz

murbizNew Member

Threads:
    I am not a big fun of buying movies since after I watch it once or twice am already bored and it just stays on the shelf collecting dust.

I used to be a blockbuster member but since they shut down so many stored here in America I decided to switch to Netflix.Just like you,I found myself having watched most of the movies and the ones that were left were just poor selection.

Nowadays I prefer renting my movies from Redbox.For $1 a movie,this is just to good of a deal.You can choose any movie you want then have 24 hours to watch it.I prefer Redbox for they have so many selections compared to Blockbuster and Netflix.

17. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    A long, long, long time ago in a country far, far away... A boy by the name of Zaturo rented movies at Blockbuster.
    Now the same boy prefers to download. Renting is overrated, indeed. The end.