board games vs video games

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by olorien • Oct 2, 2012.

1. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I've been trying to get back to board games lately. video games are fun, but they lack the interaction of an actual game with pieces and other players. I've been hooked on video games since the first one I played, pong, back in the 70's. Rediscovering playing games with others though, is just as fun and board game developers have come up with a lot of great sophisticated games that easily compete with many video games. Apples to Apples is one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to see what's coming out for Christmas.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh I was also playing board games before in the 90's when I was a kid, I remember I played MAD, Snakes And Ladders, and chess with my brother. But now that I haven't played any board games for more than a decade, I think I'm not going back there again. :) Computer games are much better in my opinion.

3. Mycoldshower

MycoldshowerNew Member

Threads:
    They both have their pros and con's. Board games can really break the ice, and video games are great if you just want to hang with a couple of friends.

What I really don't like, is boardgames within video games. Nobody wants to play monopoly on their Xbox. I don't think this really works, and I really don't see the appeal in it. also, they are usually horrible, horrible games. Just plain awful.

4. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    Hey, I'm a huge video game person and every once in a while I'll pull out a board game. There's nothing wrong with that. It's actually fun getting to interact face to face.

5. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Nintendo totally has my back when it comes to face 2 face interaction. And board games are boring - to me at least they are. I just can't be bothered to sit around playing a game noone really knows the rules to. And of course someone always gets upset and someone cheats and no. No thank you sire or madam.

6. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Its more social to play board games than with electronics gadgets. Although board games can be played inside the house, there is still interactive with real human unlike those cyber games today.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm trying to think of what board games I've played as a kid.. and I can't really think of any besides Monopoly and Snakes and Ladders. I've also played Mouse Trap once, but that's about it, I think.. I was always more of a video games kid. :)

8. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    Board games are fun, because it's being played in a room with friends/family, but co-op games now are much better :p.

9. husstopher

husstopherMember

Threads:
    One benefit to playing board games onto your console is that you can save time in setting up and afterwards you can save time in cleaning up as well.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer board games. My family plays board games during the holidays. Board games and card playing. It's a family tradition. Yes, someone cheats. My youngest sister is notoriously ruthless. We are ready for her though. It's all part of the fun.

11. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    I went into a new store in the mall today that is a board game store. Guess what game they didn't have? Battleship! You would think that with the success of the movie (love it or hate it) that there would be a renewed interest in the game. They had some knock-off called Sea Battle. I had to point that out to the workers.

12. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know about that - like I said Nintendo with their Wii and their Pokemon games have done quite a lot to force actual human interaction between folks. Resident Evil 5 meant Felix moved in for about a week because co-op is much better in person... etc.

13. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I like the human interaction in board games. There is sometimes free-flowing conversation alongside, and I would like that for my children. Of course, video games and online games are what they busy themselves with most of the time, but that I guess is the bane of the current generation. There still are board games in the house, like chess, snakes & ladders, cluedo, and monopoly, and I would like to buy some more for days when we have teenagers visiting us.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't normally play board games any more. I do really enjoy them, though. I always have. The only physical game I ever seem to get a chance at any more is cards. Or sometimes Spinners...neither of which are really board games, but at least they're not digital games with people not in the same room with me, right?

15. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I love board games when the family gets together. We like Trivial Pursuit and Monopoly for the grown ups, and we'll play Snakes & Ladders and Ludo with the youngsters. Our granddaughter is 5, and she's already working out how to cheat, which causes a few laughs when they come over. To me, video games are for solo play, not family fun.

16. asteriks

asteriksMember

Threads:
    Board games are usually when friends and family come over and video games when it's just the boyfriend and his friends chilling around. We play both video and board games and it is true that there is more interaction between people playing board games than video games and definitely preferred when having gatherings. I don't allow anyone to turn on the consoles during gatherings but usually towards the end of the night, the kids and my boyfriend are playing video games so I guess you can't help being addicted to video games.

17. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, the child in me still loves board games.
    I grew up with board games and only later in my life I was introduced to video games. I try to play both an equal amount so it works out and I never get sick of one more than the other.
    I will try to teach my kids this as well that video games are not the only option as entertainment.

18. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, i do agree, board games do have a complexity and social interaction that do lack in video games. I ain't saying that either of them is lower than the other, but both are pretty good experiences for what they have to offer each.

19. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    I like chess and some of the newer board games like Settlers of Catan! Unfortunately it's hard to find people to play with these days.

20. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's video games for me. When I was a kid when video game consoles were not that popular, I thoroughly enjoyed playing board games. But when I started playing the NES, then I moved on to the SNES then to the PlayStation, there was no turning back. Video games are better for me.