Board Games

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Strykstar • Apr 16, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you play any board games?
    I've been looking at few to buy which seem like a lot of fun, I'm just not sure how often me and the wife would play them... might be a better purchase when I have kids to play with too.

2. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I enjoy playing board games and have cupboards full of them but I can never find any one to play them with. I have recently started taking them to work with me as I work with children, I wish I had more people to play them with so I could buy more as there are so many good board games out there. My favourite board game is Monopoly and I have quite a few varieties and I also love the game Pay Day.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I play some board and card games, it's a good traditional entertainment for the family away for all the new tech that puts people apart. A good simple card game is Uno, really entertaining. A good board game is scrabble, kids love it when they start to read and it's good for them too.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I play some Monopoly at least once a month with my friends. I also bough some cheap board games second hand (complete) so we're experimenting quite a lot. It's a fun way to spend the time and more engaging than a simple chat. Plus, if you're gathering for a drink, why not use the time better and play something too?

Right now I'm looking for some Dungeons and Dragons sets but I'm not sure if anyone will play with me :eek:

5. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    My family and I have family night once a week. We play nothing but board and card games all
    all evening. My kids take turns rotating on what we play first. I have to say Sorry is my favorite game.

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Same here. My friends and I are avid monopoly players. It has become a time-honored tradition for us where we end up at each other's throats by the end of the game. Great stuff.

Another board game I greatly appreciate is scrabble. With everyone having Words with Friends, people are actually more willing to play the board game.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really have people to play with either but my favorite board game is Scattergories. I feel like sometimes people don't like to play with me because they are mad I am so good at it. I love Monopoly too. I always try to get all the railroads. I have Uno Attack which is my favorite card game but it's sad because I think some of my cards are too bent for the machine.

8. Richiee

RichieeNew Member

Threads:
    I'm a fan of board games as well, just like most of you guys here.

My most favorite board game though would be good ol' Chess. In fact, I was a Chess player in our school back when I was younger and I managed to win a few medals for my alma mater. I still remember the time when me and my grandfather played from the moment I wake up all the way till evening. That was my last memory of him because we weren't able to take a vacation back to our province after that. And I only returned when he's already at the hospital.

I'm also a fan of Game of the Generals, Monopoly, and other money games. I guess my love for finance is responsible for my love for the latter. :)

9. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is a good idea to have a board game or two in the house. If your current situation involves only adults, pick up something that an adult can enjoy. You can but the kids games later in life. Some games stand up to playing with both children and adults. We always have a scrabble game around as it can be enjoyed by adult players but can also be fun for younger children with the adults acting as guides. Games like trivial pursuits can also work with adults or with children teamed up with adults.

I would avoid long games or really complicated games as they tend to be fun for kids but adults will lose interest more rapidly.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've been meaning to try Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne but I don't know if they would be fun with only two players or if they require more, has anyone tried these games?

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I loved board games as a kid, but I don't find them very entertaining now, unless it's my favorite - Monopoly, which I don't find as enjoyable when played digitally via a tablet / PC. I'd still probably give the simpler ones a shot again, though. Something like Snakes and Ladders would probably still appeal to me because it's pretty straight forward and you don't really have to familiarize yourself with many rules. Other than those, I think I'll just stick with modern entertainment. :)

12. Heather_Rose

Heather_RoseNew Member

Threads:
    Settlers of Catan is awesome! My husband and I played together pretty much constantly when we first got it. It is better with multiple players, and we altered the rules a bit to make two player gameplay better- starting with 3 settlements instead of 2, and getting double the resources when you roll doubles. With two players it can take a long time to really get started otherwise. It shouldn't be too difficult to rope in a friend or two to join you, though! I got my sisters, their hubbies and kids all addicted to the game. Now, even with the 6 player expansion, sometimes we have too many people at games night wanting to play!

13. Heather_Rose

Heather_RoseNew Member

Threads:
    If you want to play with kids, Bohnanza is a great card game. There are cooperative aspects to it, but it's still competitive enough to be fun. It's enjoyable for all ages, yet the game play is simple enough for a 6 year old to keep up with the adults. My family all loves it, from 6 to 60!

14. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I haven’t played board games in a while, but I do enjoy them when I play. Most of my favorites are much more fun with three or more people. I always loved Sorry! and The Game of Life. One of the last games I played was Scattergories, which is epic when you play it at 2 am and everyone in the group has hit that point of exhaustion when nothing makes sense and everything is hilarious.

15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I used to play board games before, but I have lost interest in them as time goes by. But yeah, I think it is still a pretty good idea. Board games are sort of the "sports for the mind" specially Chess and Scrabble.

16. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    The only 2 board games that I play are Disney versions of Monopoly and Scene it. I play with my brother and he's around 12, since they are the Disney versions, the both of us enjoy it more because we know the movies. You can never go wrong with a game of monopoly, that's for sure! :)

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Because I'm the geeky person that I am, during the peak of my youth, I played as many board games as opportunity allowed. Some of the games I enjoyed - and still enjoy - playing were backgammon, Chinese checkers, Snakes and Ladders, Monopoly, scrabble, Go (a Japanese board game) and chess. Had I more time to dispose of, I'd have been glad to just sit back and play one of those games with friends and family.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only board game I really enjoy is chess. I can't be bothered with other games. I learnt how to play chess when I was eight years old, and I have been intrigued by it ever since. I usually play once a fortnight with an old friend who enjoys it as much as I do. We like to sit together on his veranda and analyze every single move, and how it relates to life. :)

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last time I played board games was when I was a kid, when board games and card games were still popular. I used to play MAD, Uno, and Snakes And Ladders. But now, I don't play them anymore. I think video games and web surfing are more worth my time than board games.

20. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Crossfire just never gets boring. It's great forever & ever. I get tired of games like Monopoly, Life, Clue & the like because they just get so tedious after a while. They're good to have when you're entertaining small groups of trolls...I mean children. Otherwise I stick with cards. Others spice up board games with shots. Never play this one though:
    chess-set.

Now you're just asking for trouble