Board Games

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Strykstar • Apr 16, 2014.

1. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    Monopoly is a great one and good for adults and kids. I also think checkers is a good one and easy to learn for kids as well. When I was kid my family and I constantly played these games, I think that board games are a great and inexpensive way to spend time with family or friends.

2. missfortune81

missfortune81Member

Threads:
    I love playing board games, particularly any kind of trivia or word games. I am terrible at any kind of game that involves strategy. I've tried to play, chess, backgammon and they just dont interest me. My favorite board games are Trivial Pursuit and Scattergories. Taboo is a fun game, as well if you get the right people together.

3. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I love board games. I would suggest Monopoly and Scrabble like what others have mentioned. They are really fun. It is fun to play with two people, but it can be really fun when you play with more than two people. You can turn them into tournaments or something to make it fun. My family/friends like to do that when we play board/card games.

4. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy playing board games.Even though children truly like playing them, there is a child in all of us. They can be really fun and engaging.

It would be great to find discounts for board games, because they tend to be a bit pricey.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Last January when we were vacationing in a beach resort, my nephews and nieces played scrabble with me. Scrabble is a good board game because it's also educational aside from teaching you to be creative. We had lots of fun and we played until after midnight. But we only play scrabble on occasions like that unlike when we were young, we regularly play scrabble.

6. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I love that all the classic board games are still around. I need to get some for family nights and get my kids involved so they can learn to take turns and problem solve. I would probably get all the classics I used to play as a kid like Trouble, Sorry, Candy Land, Monopoly, Checkers, Mouse Trap, etc. I haven't played in a long time and now that I have kids it's time to buy some!

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't always plays board games, but when we do, we really enjoy them. It's usually when there's a family gathering, like over Christmas. Among the ones we like to play are monopoly, snakes and ladders and scrabble :)

8. elrjlr22

elrjlr22New Member

Threads:
    My husband and I love playing board games! We have been married for over 11 years and it was just the two of us for 9 years. We play all the time! We love play Settlers and play it often, although it's not as fun with 2 as it is with a larger group. We also love Ticket to Ride because it also makes you think strategy while you play. It's hard to pick just a few, we have closets full of board games.

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Much as I do still very much enjoy the occasional board game and particularly backgammon - playing board games is not something that happens very often in our house these days - in fact so much so - that its usually a long lasting power cut that brings the backgammon set out.

However that said - it is an entirely different matter when it comes to Scrabble - as I love playing that either on my own or with a partner and although this may sound a little crazy - but on finding Scrabble to be an extremely useful tool when learning or re-enforcing your knowledge of a foreign language - I now play Scrabble quite regularly - as not only does it help with spelling but re-enforces the words in your mind too - its also extremely rewarding and particularly so when you've used up all the letters - as you get to see just how far you've progressed by the number of words you've managed to put on the board.

10. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Love board games, particularly the newer generation of titles that emphasize coop play over competition. It's much more fun - and tense - if everybody's stuck in the same all-or-nothing situation. Been playing a lot of Dead of Winter lately, with the occasional dips into Pandemic and Battlestar Galactica.

... looking at those three games, I'm wondering if maybe my friends and I like apocalyptic themes...

11. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    Chess and Monopoly are my typical favourite choices. Sadly, I don't have anyone to play with at the moment so I spend my time here on this forum. :p

12. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I was in my school's chess varsity team before and it was my favorite sport up until the end of middle school. I then transitioned into table tennis, basketball, and volleyball. However chess was still one of my favorite sports of all time, and I consider it as a board game. I also like playing Monopoly because of its business ambiance and money is the one thing that I love more than anything else.

13. MiMichelle

MiMichelleMember

Threads:
    We play boards at family get together's. It's nice once everyone has eaten and the night is settling down just to keep everyone together and off there phones.

14. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh board games are great. They are kind of a lost art where people are now so involved with their electronics. Some of the most fun I have ever had have been playing board games. Now, it seems that they just sit on the shelf. I think every family should have board games they play on a semi regular basis. They are really a lot of fun and inexpensive too.

15. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I love playing board games online. But for offline board games, it has to be Monopoly. Monopoly is always fun with other people. But I am rarely the one with most money. I remember I played Clue as well. Clue is a pretty cool game too. I was not that good at it though. But Monopoly is so far my favorite board game.

16. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    I used to play them a lot when I was a kid (specially with my brother). Now I don't really play them, basically because you need to hang out with some people at home for a while, and they might not like the idea of start playing or something.

17. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    There is this old board game we used to play called Game of Generals where the pawns are named after army positions. It was a fun game because you had to use strategy and tactics to win, and a referee or administrator must be present, just like a game master. Recently I play Monopoly with my siblings and friends, as we are all aspiring to have businesses and empires of our own. But we could only dream of this and we just fulfill these impossible hopes through a fun board game.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    During the holidays at the big family dinners we play board games. Tabo is a family favorite. We also play Monopoly often. My youngest daughter really likes board games and makes us all play.

19. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    Well the one that I play everyday is chess, and I love it. But if you are asking about typical board games like monopoly, then I don't play them that much. We sometimes play it with my friends, but we usually fight over Risk or Monopoly. We want to try it Cluedo because it seems like fun, but it is too expensive to buy it here.

20. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I used to play chess, monopoly, word factory and scrabble. But what really made me addicted to playing these types of games were Game of the Generals and Cashflow 101. If you haven't played Game of the Generals then give it a try, its more like chess but the difference is you won't know what pieces your enemy has, well you do know them but you won't know how your enemy arranged them and the enemy won't know your pieces too. Cashflow 101 is more like monopoly but it's way better, much better if kids would start playing Cashflow 101, once they get better with this, I bet they would easily kick some ass on monopoly.