bones to your dogs

Discussion in Pets started by roy835 • Oct 23, 2014.

1. roy835

roy835Member

Threads:
    You may have seen some of those clips on Tv with dogs running around with bones in their mouths. Or, people giving their dogs bones. Well, that may be good to do if the bones is actually specialized bone that is made for dogs. But, if it regular "table food" bones like chicken bone or steak bone, that can be harmful to your dog or any other pet that you may have. What can happen is that they can really choke on the bone fragments after they break the bone up then they try to swallow. Some of that bone fragments are just not safe for dogs or pets in general to swallow. So, take heed so that you dont accidentally give your dog or pet something that they could choke on that could seriously harm them. Just thought I would put that out there because some Tv clips make it seem like it is hey ok to give your dog or pet any kind of bone to eat. It can be dangerous to your pet so be careful.

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard that giving bones to the dogs can be dangerous, but I personally don't know any dog that had a problem with them. I know it's not a balanced diet to have them eat bones all the time, but once in a while it's a joy to see a dog with a bone.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cats can choke on bones. I've seen it would be a good idea to never give bones to cats.

But dogs . . . well, they normally don't choke on bones. Remember they were scavengers before they were domesticated. Munching on bones was how they survived in the wild. Many dogs we've had as pets always enjoyed chewing on bones. But pet health experts have been trying to scare people so they can buy dog food from the stores. Marketers and their affiliates . . .

4. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I used to give bones to my dog until one of them choked and it scared me beyond belief, so I don't do that anymore. The only kind of bones they get are rawhide and that barely even counts as a bone :)

5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Bones for dogs

Yes, I have heard bone meal is very good for dogs but whole chicken bones can get lodged in the throat and intestines. That being said, I have seen dogs eat bones and use them as chew toys so I don't know what the right answer is. I think for my puppy, I'm leery of giving him any soft bones like chicken that could easily sliver off and possible hurt his intestines. But a larger bone with lots of marrow in it is probably good for his growth as dogs need calcium. I have been trying to find a way to make my own bone meal but have not yet perfected a recipe. Thanks for the great tips though!

6. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    This is most definitely true. So many people give their dog table scraps and bones that are from inappropriate sized animals and these items are so dangerous to them. If you are going to give your dog a bone it needs to be from a stocky heavy animal like a cow. Poultry bones are fragile and splinter easily which can choke a dog or shred their intestines as they are digested. People don't realize how much they are endangering their beloved pets by doing this.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well it's too late for this warning now. We've since been giving our dogs regular bones. Maybe not on a daily basis, but whenever there's bone to give away - be it fish, chicken, beef, goat or pork bone - we make sure our dogs get to enjoy them. We've been doing it for years and they seem all right. I guess it all depends on the type of dog you own. You can't let toy dogs eat bones lest they choke. They have smaller teeth and esophagus. Our dogs are huge so they have no problem munching on bones. We always place a container of water nearby; they can just drink from it whenever they feel like choking.

8. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    It isn't that they will choke on the bones, it is that the bones splinter and scrape and dig the esophagus and stomach lining. Stay away from table food. I never believed it until I wound up with an $8000 bill!!! My dog even climbed up and ate a $70 box of Godiva chocolates! They have dog food for a reason, but I recommend researching everything. Even the doggie "raw hide" bones are terrible. If you notice, they shred in layers. That is what happens in the throat and stomach, causing damage.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We used to give bones to our dogs and nothing ever happened to them, and the most we kept out was chicken bones because I think those tend to get stuck in the throat of dogs. Although now we just give them dog food instead to be on the safe side. I'd rather Just throw away our left over bones and keep my dog safe.

10. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I never intentionally give my dog bones. We're vegan. So, we don't have bones, but whenever she gets to go for a walk outside of the compound, she tends to make her way over the neighbors and digs bones out of their rubbish when I am not looking. I always fuss at her for taking them and she will drop them immediately. I am glad that she listens for her own safety.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We give our dogs chicken, pork, and beef bones and they love it. We just make it a point not to give them the sharp and tiny bones, because for sure they would be prone to being choked or endangered by it.

12. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Some chicken bones are very dangerous for dogs to eat because it can get very sharp when cracked. So I only choose the tender/small bone parts when it comes to chicken bones.

I don't know if pork bones are safe but I'm definitely sure that you can give beef bones, I'm talking about the really big ones (I don't know what part it is) - my dog loves it too. :)

27949_440899911112_585201112_6014135_6802463_n.

13. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sue how to respond to this post, it doesn't seem to post a question or anything but I will add my two cents: This guy is certainly right about bones and their effects on dogs. Chicken ones are the worst, since they tend to break into small pieces. Steak ones aren't as bad, but they can still be very sharp and hurt your dog so it's not advised.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I give my dog only the bones that you buy at pet stores that are specific for dogs. I guess they are not exactly bones, they are fake. But my dog loves them! I wouldn't have the courage to give a real bone to my dog, I'm really scared he will choke or even accidentally swallow a small piece and have something happened to his intestines or something like that! I am very cautious to what I give him when it comes to food and treats.

15. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I've had dogs literally since the day I was born, daddy bought a Irish Setter when I was born for me, and I've feed every dog I've had bones with no problems. Dogs in the wild eat the bones of the animals they kill with no problem to. So I never really believed that theory. I think it has to do with whether or not they are taught to eat the bones properly. If they try to woof it down, you hold the bone in your hand on letting them get pieces of it at a time teaching them to eat it slowly. Once they learn to eat it slowly then there should be no problem. Its the dogs that hurriedly eat it that usually end up choking on it.

16. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dogs have eaten bones for thousands and thousands of years, and there is a lot of good nourishment for them in the bone marrow, and even a lot of good minerals in the bone itself.
    The big difference nowadays is that we try to give them cooked bones rather than raw bones, and it is the cooked bones that crack and splinter .
    Toy sized dogs are an exception, and I don't think that they should eat any kind of bones, although ones that they just chew on and can't swallow might be okay, like those chunks of round bones with marrow inside of them.
    We use to go to the butcher shop and get large bones for the dogs to chew, and they just loved munching on those big old cow bones. Since they were raw, there was never any problem with the bones doing any damage.