Book exchange system

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Sandra Piddock • Apr 26, 2012.

1. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Here in Spain, new books are quite expensive. For this reason, a lot of stores and market stalls run a book exchange system. Basically, you pay 2 Euro (around $3 or £1.75) for your first book. When you've read it, you take it back and pay 1 Euro for a new one. A group of us have the same reading tastes, and we pass our books around, and the last person to read the book takes it back and changes it, then the pass around starts again. It means that for every Euro we spend, we get to read 3 or 4 books.

Are there book exchanges where you live? If you own a small business or raise funds for charity, it's worth considering starting your own book exchange. It's certainly a great way to read books cheaply.

2. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    In the United States we basically have libraries in every single town. Each library is free and has basically every book that you can think of. If they do not have the book you can submit a request for the library to order the book you are looking for, all free of charge. It is something I take for granted but use a lot. My library even offers free video game rentals now! If I did not have a library, this book exchange program sounds like a good deal.

3. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    We had one or two book exchange stores in our town but they weren't well supported and so had to close down after awhile. We do however have a public library which is very popular and that is where I normally go to for my books. I love the quiet, calm atmosphere of the library and the smell of books. Although the membership is free I always end up paying fines for my books that are forever overdue :D

4. meieden

meiedenNew Member

Threads:
    I also love how libraries nowadays have digital content that you can borrow for free as well. Now that so many people have e-readers, it's nice to be able to check out books for free from the comfort of your own home and read it on your e-reader.

I haven't seen any book exchange systems here in the United States, although they may exist. We do have used book stores as well where you can sell back your new books and buy old or used books for a fraction of the cost.

5. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    Your library has video game rentals!? That's amazing, yet kinda defeats the point of having a library. You know, to read books. Then again, every library in my city offers books, CDs, and DVDs for people to check out and place orders on whenever for free.

I've never heard of the book exchange program here in LA though, but it sounds like a great deal where you are!