Book vs Movie

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by katharinemae • Mar 1, 2014.

1. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of books have been made into a movie, I'm a bookworm and I tend to read a lot and most of the time I have already read the book before the movie.
    I have always been disappointed with the movie renditions and I have never watched a movie that is better than the book. Which do you prefer? the book or the movie?

2. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Books are always better because they have so much detail and inner monologue that movies just don't have the time for, or can't do. I do love the movies too, I see them as a great addition. Like I can't even imagine not having the Harry Potter or Hunger Games movies to look forward to, especially after the book series ended.

If I have to choose though, I always prefer the books.

3. Batiatus

BatiatusMember

Threads:
    It is always a better option to read the book. However I don't have time to read books every day so I mostly stick to the movies. If I had more time I would read a book instead of a video version that lasts for 2 hours for a book that has like 500 pages.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am the opposite of you guys because I am somewhat lazy to read, especially fiction or movie contents books. I always prefer the movies, especially Harry Potter ones or other movies I don't even know they had a book, for the simple reason I don't read books often.

5. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the time, if I like a book, I would watch the movie afterwards, and if I like the movie, I'd read the original book afterwards. I know there are people out there who would rather read the book first, however, I do think it would be interesting to watch the movie first and read the book after.

Why? Because after watching the movie, you know what the characters look like, you know the setting of the environment, you know how actions take place. Then, once you finally read the book, everything in your mind is extremely detailed because you could imagine the actors and actresses practically acting out what you're reading.

6. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    For me it has to be the book over a movie. The movie will never outdo the book as I always feel like once I have watched the adaptation of a book I have read. The book took me on a better journey and I was more lost in it than I was the film. Films usually make it seem less real.

7. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Oh I'm the opposite, I like reading the book first then watching the movie because I hate having the actors and everything in my head instead of what I would have imagined. If I accidentally see the movie first (sometimes I don't realize there was a book of it) I purposefully try to block everything I saw in the movie so I can imagine it the way I would've had I not seen the movie.

I have a very detailed imagination though, so detailed that sometimes I forget that a certain scene only happened in the book, because it's so rich in my mind.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi, I am like you. I love to read. I have to say that there have been some movies that I have enjoyed as much as the book. "Catch me if you can" with Leonardo Di Caprio is one of them. I also liked Louis de Bernieres "Captain Corelli's Mandolin". I thought Nicolas Cage and Penelope Cruz did a marvellous job. And there are many others that didn't disappoint me. I think it largely depends on the director and the cast of actors. To be honest, I don't tend to bother if I hear a book I know has been made into a film with actors that I have never heard of. Worst for me is when Americans try to enact some European script or vice versa.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It actually depends on how good the screenwriter who is hired to write the script does the job. Movies such LOTR were so much better than the books while others The Twilight Saga, Hunger Games, etc., were atrocious. But on average, since most adaptations suck, I'd rather read the book.

10. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    The other day I was just saying that publishers are staring to promote the book after the movie is released. I always loved the book better than the movie and I don't like the idea that the movie would do the book any justice.

11. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    The movie renditions always suck because the movie directors add things in. I feel like movie renditions should be a direct adaptations from the book. That way the movie will at least capture the same audience that the book captivated. No chance for failure.

12. DealHunter1

DealHunter1Member

Threads:
    I really like both, but have to watch the movie first. If I read the book and then watch the movie I get upset because it sucks and is nothing like how I imagined it would be. If I absolutely had to choose between one or the other it would be reading though. I really don't like the prices that books are now though.

LOVE & DEALS,
    DH:cool:

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to love reading before the internet and cellphones became popular, but with all the advances in technology, I'd rather surf the net or do other things than read a fiction book. I think reading novels will take a huge chunk of my time, and I have various hobbies to begin with, so I'd rather prefer watching movies.

14. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    If I've seen the movie, I won't bother reading the book since I already know what's going to happen. If I've read the book, it's going to have to be a really promising movie for me to watch it, the few that I've seen have felt very disappointing compared to the book. Also often something is different in the movie... which personally annoys me a lot.

So I very rarely do both of them. I have to say that I'd much rather read a book if I have the time. It's a bit risky especially if I'm not familiar with the authors work and to be honest I don't read that much nowadays, but I'd still much rather read the book than watch the movie.

15. Trent

TrentMember

Threads:
    Books contain a lot more information and that is the main diference. Both have their advantages to help tell a story.

16. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I always prefer reading the book, the movie adaptations of good books that I've both seen and read have all been terrible, the biggest examples being Eragon and World War Z. Great books, bad movies (incredibly bad in the case of Eragon).

17. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I do watch the movie first before reading it, there are even instances that I don't have any idea that the movie I'm watching is actually a book. If the movie is good, I always read it after, and it always satisfies what the movie is lacking. The book is always detailed and you can know the characters deeper. I have watched "The Notebook" first and I love it, but I loved it more after I have read it.

18. cabenb

cabenbMember

Threads:
    Depends on the movie to be honest but most of the times there isn't enough time to tell the whole story. Besides that I believe using ones imagination is a great asset to the book in stead of the movie in most cases.

19. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Reading the book is always the best cause you get more details verse the movie, Its always cut or changed in some sequences. Then sometimes I like to watch the movie cause sometimes I don't have the time to read, but I love both. But the movie would be my choice since my days are so busy.

20. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I have to disagree, because movies do not need as much details because they are visual representations. Most of the descriptions in the book will not me needed in a movie because you will be able to physically see them. I prefer movies because of that. Movies are a more natural way of taking in information.