Books About Celebrities

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Juno • Feb 1, 2015.

1. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    Do you like reading biographies or autobiographies about celebrities? It seems like their whole life is an open book which you can Google, so why bother purchasing a book on it. I recently bought the Audio of Lena Dunham's Not That Kind of Girl. It was narrated by her and I felt like the book just jumped all over the place. She is too young to have much to say about herself. I think celebrities are cranking out books that are not worth reading. It is a new trend and their books hit the top seller lists because their names are famous.

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like reading biographies about anybody. Not even celebrities. I think that biographies are very boring. I don't want to read through the lives of people. I have my own life to live and that's enough for me. I know that there are some people with interesting lives thus making for a great read. However, I'd just rather use wikipedia than read an entire book of one person alone.

3. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I like reading some biographies from celebrities, as well as normal folks. To me, it is all how you approach it. Everyone's life is different, and they have experienced difference things than you or I. So with that approach, you can learn something from every individual person that you meet. So if I am reading a book from Chris Kyle, (American Sniper) I am learning about his life, and his experiences. Some things may apply to my life, and other things won't. But I can definitely take something from his book and will "self-improve" my life. In this case, I became a lot more grateful for what our soldiers accomplished because of what they had to face over in Iraq.

So even if you Juno ever wrote a book about your life, I just may be interested in reading it. I know I would learn something from it.

One day I hope to write a book about my life experiences. I wouldn't care if only one person read it, as long as they took something from it, which improved their life.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For many it's a money spinner and usually they use a ghostwriter. You just have to watch an interview with some of them and they haven't even read the book. Then there are some who have written a few biographies, they are cashing in on their name and most events are elaborated for effect and things are omitted for libel reasons. I don't bother reading them, but I do like to read about historical figures like Winston Churchill.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also think that reading biographies can be boring. There are tons of other informative topics that can be read rather than biographies. There are just tons of movies out there that are waiting to be watched, so in my opinion, why bother with them when you can clearly choose to do other more entertaining stuff? That's just me though.

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that most biographies are boring so I'm very picky on which ones I get. I did get the biography of Melissa Joan Hart and the only reason I buy them at all is so I can have something to read when there is no internet. I read some of it when I was on the plane.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do enjoy some biographies but only tend to read the ones written by people who have led interesting lives or have been famous for a long time. Recent autobiographies I have enjoyed include those written by Morrissey, Neil Peart and Bob Dylan. I would love to read Stevie Nicks' life story so I hope she writes one too!

8. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I suppose it depends on which type of celebrity you mean, I really wouldn't bother with a run of the mill pop star or boy band member's autobiography because they seem to live very shallow lives and their lives are open to the public through those snoopy celeb blogs. You also can't trust them to put down the unfiltered truth down in their books.
    I'd read a book written by someone substantial like Clint Eastwood, Stevie Wonder or Meryl Streep because I think I could learn from their experiences.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd be fine reading biographies or autobiographies of historical personalities like Napoleon Bonaparte, Queen Victoria, Benjamin Franklin, Jane Austen, Shih Huang-Ti, Nobunaga Oda and whatnot. These people had a significant contribution to history anyway. I'd make exceptions for old-timer celebrities who have long since passed away. It would be interesting to read more about Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, Marilyn Monroe, Greta Garbo and Marlon Brando. They're very intriguing people who dazzled the film industry with their presence.

10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't read an autobiography of any celebrity yet, but I have already read a couple of memoirs by other people including 44: Dublin Made Me by Peter Sheridan, Keeping Mum by Brian Thompson, Breaking the Silence by Lourdes Montinola (which I used as a subject for my thesis paper), and 1185 Park Avenue by Anne Roiphe. I enjoy googling celebrities and reading their Wikipedia though.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Biographies of celebrities . . . written to make more money for them. But to be honest, since the lives of celebrities hardly interest me, I won't buy any of them fancy books. Should I want to know something about any celebrity then I think I'll find the information I need on Wikipedia.

12. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I like autobiographies when they have something to say and have been around long enough for a story. I'm less of a fan when that same person then brings up a follow up autobiography - it almost tells me that the first one came out too early, or they're trying to squeeze every last penny out of the concept.

13. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I love reading autobiographies from celebrities that I like, but sometimes find them boring. I think those naughty celebs that put out autobiographies tend to be the best to read. Some however I find really dull and boring. I'm actually now reading Sharon Osbournes autobiography and finding it very interesting :)

14. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Celebrities not so much but artists, then yes. I've read Ozzy Osbournes' book and it's a really great read. For celebrities and movie starts though, I don't really care about not unless they're really talented actors or they have a very interesting rags to riches life outside the typical rich to richer type of stories with no with no solid life value.

15. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I think it would depend on the biography or should I say auto biography whether I would be interested. For example I am not the least bit interested in the auto biography from Sarah Palin. Seriously, hasn't this woman's fifteen minutes ended yet. However, given what I have found out recently about him, the movie about him and the case involving his murder I might be interested in reading the auto biography by Chris Kyle. That's one that does now interest me. I am also not someone who really wants to read biogrphies, especially unauthorized ones because these can be interpretations of the person that aren't necessarily the truth. If a biographer worked closely with the individual or did their research well to find out about them then I might consider reading it.