Books already losing relevance?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by lindbergh • Sep 4, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the early days, books were very important. They were treasured. Kept in a safe place. Frequently read. But in this day and age, do we still treasure them like what people did in the old days? Do we still use books like we did before? Or are books already losing relevance?

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that books have lost their values over the years because now a days you can read books on tablets computers and kindles. Me personally I rather have a hard copy book in hand than read online.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I get a little surprised hearing so many people echo their sentiment...I doubt very heavily that books will lose their value. Sure, there are some people that don't care...and some people growing up more accustomed to e-books than the real thing. But there are just as many of us who find the treasure of being surrounded by real books, opening a new one or carefully paging through a very old one to be irreplacable.

4. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I couldn't disagree with this more. There are many people who love books rather than a fragile bit of plastic with a rather more limited selection. I like my collectibles, my folios found amongst piles of dross, my 1st editions, my inherited foibles. Also I need something to distract from my minimalized apartment setting.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think so, ebooks have been around for quite a long time already, and despite their popularity, bookstores are still in business. So that goes to show that there is still a demand for books. But as for me, I prefer ebooks. I only buy books when I can't find it's ebook version.

6. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say so. I still see a lot of people in bookstores. A lot of books still find their way in people's hands and for those of us who treasure every book they read, they are of much more value than the money which was spent on them. As long as sentiments like this exist books will not relevance. Their popularity might take a hit, but they will not completely go out of fashion. At least I hope so.

7. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like the majority of people will always have that passion for books no matter if they are on a tablet or the computer because they will always find a way to get their hands on a real hardcover version.
    I personally will never get rid of my actual book because there is just something about that new book smell that I can't let go.